66% of console owners prefer physical copies of (2021 update: Sony reports sales are 66% digital)

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
so from personal experience...

how many games have been removed from your digital library?

how many of your games on disc have become damaged because of scratches, etc?
All I know is @Dominic Brehetto says tons of games was removed so he should be able to give that answer as well :popcorn:
I just answer the question to OP and don't know why u trippin or something. Go talk to your fakkit lover @PS4
Well since you summoned me, I peeped your little debate and here's where the "issues" reside. We hear what you are saying happened to you but we are saying this isn't how things are done. You don't see anyone else agreeing with you or saying it happened to them, So it's not a thing. But, you are highly distressed at the moment So let me tell you about a time I too was done dirty. 2 times actually. Fable 2 was free via an Xbox live exploit and a bunch of people got it for free. They stopped the exploit and whoever ate, ate. A month later I went to continue my game and the shyt was gone. They didn't even put out an announcement that they was gonna do that, no Ign article, nothing :yeshrug:

The 2nd time, I bought Zumba via Xbox fitness for my lady. Literally the next day they announced they was getting rid of Xbox fitness and that we had 30days to say goodbye. It cost $30, they gave me a $5 refund for that :mjlol:

Now, to you guys saying physical will keep the game forever, it's just who keeps old systems forever? So you still play your nes? Cuz these games you claim are gone forever can be ripped easily and posted online.. You know, like every other game that has ever been made :gucci:

I got fukkin unreleased games n shyt, What the fukk are you nikkaz talking about :mindblown:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I can’t trade in a digital game, so fukk digital games
exactly... i been telling "Team DD" since the coli days, physical media ain't going no fukking where

not as long as video games that came out on last gen (last of us, gta 5) can still go for $20 bucks in 2018.... and that's if i wanted to sell the copy i paid $60 for, 5 fukking years ago...

meanwhile somebody else paid the exact same price.. can never sell... can't even take it to a friends house without needing to download the profile it was on, the full game, and all your saves..

i mean i guess if i lost or broke a game, which would be the first ever since nintendo, then i could see the benefits.. but until they drop the price on digital, there's no point..

they really trying to tell me it costs the exact same to print out a cd, ship it, with a cover, book inside, and case as it does to digitally supply the game.. fukk outta here... i will never support that shyt

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
You console gamers really don’t get it so it’s pointless to continue this silly debate that y’all are losing anyway. Nobody has legit arguments anymore on that side. Just preference of “ownership” and how “pretty” an ugly stack of DVD cases look on a shelf.

Two quick points that I mention often:

A few years ago I decided to calculate my average cost per game on steam and the average was about $6 a title. Yes that included several games I purchased at full MSRP at launch. This is simply not feasible with retail titles just based on logistics alone. Y’all love physical media, but hate GameStop. If any of you cheap gamers have noticed there comes a point in a cycle in where games hit that sweet $1.99-$5.99 Target price. Once GameStop goes away the minimum jumps from $2 to $6 just due to the logistics of acquiring your useless disc. That’s just the beginning. It’s not as apparent now, but on average you have been paying more and it’s only going to become clearer as time goes on. I’m still shocked physical copies of games do not carry a $10 premium.

I don’t think I’ve ever lost access to a game that I purchased digitally.

There is another relatively new space here with the emergence of game pass. For $90 I was able to secure what ultimately equals unlimited entertainment on my console for 18 months. That is unheard of and even at the full service price of $10 a month there has never been a time in gaming where you have access to so much to what amounts to two full retail games per year.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You console gamers really don’t get it so it’s pointless to continue this silly debate that y’all are losing anyway. Nobody has legit arguments anymore on that side. Just preference of “ownership” and how “pretty” an ugly stack of DVD cases look on a shelf.

A few years ago I decided to calculate my average cost per game on steam and the average was about $6 a title. Yes that included several games I purchased at full MSRP at launch. This is simply not feasible with retail titles just based on logistics alone. Y’all love physical media, but hate GameStop. If any of you cheap gamers have noticed there comes a point in a cycle in where games hit that sweet $1.99-$5.99 Target price. Once GameStop goes away the minimum jumps from $2 to $6 just due to the logistics of acquiring your useless disc. That’s just the beginning. It’s not as apparent now, but on average you have been paying more and it’s only going to become clearer as time goes on. I’m still shocked physical copies of games do not carry a $10 premium.

There is another relatively new space here with the emergence of game pass. For $90 I was able to secure what ultimately equals unlimited entertainment on my console for 18 months. That is unheard of and even at the full service price of $10 a month there has never been a time in gaming where you have access to so much to what amounts to two full retail games per year.
How you make all these points when console gamers don’t have steam?

No shyt Sherlock that if games dropped in price, it’d be the better deal. The problem is it ain’t dropping.

There’s is exactly zero reason for me to pay 59.99 for a digital vs 59.99 for a physical. The same cheap deals on digital I can find, are he exact same deals I can find on used physical

Gamespot for what? It’s 2018. I can sell/buy on 155 platforms and get better deals. Hell amazon is now taking and selling used games.

PC of course digital makes sense. But on a console, hell nah. Not till they drop those prices. And we definitely ain’t gonna stop buying physical, in the hopes that you’ll drop the prices when we do. fukk that.

They want us to go digital, make it worth our time

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I haven’t bought a physical game since 2015. I don’t have to worry about scratching the disk or losing it anymore. I’m the same way with music

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
How you make all these points when console gamers don’t have steam?

No shyt Sherlock that if games dropped in price, it’d be the better deal. The problem is it ain’t dropping.

There’s is exactly zero reason for me to pay 59.99 for a digital vs 59.99 for a physical. The same cheap deals on digital I can find, are he exact same deals I can find on used physical

Gamespot for what? It’s 2018. I can sell/buy on 155 platforms and get better deals. Hell amazon is now taking and selling used games.

PC of course digital makes sense. But on a console, hell nah. Not till they drop those prices. And we definitely ain’t gonna stop buying physical, in the hopes that you’ll drop the prices when we do. fukk that.

They want us to go digital, make it worth our time
It is absolutely worth your time. You are just emotionally attached to pancake sized circles with a hole in the middle.

You completely missed my point about logistics and are ignoring the significance of something like game pass. I also mentioned the average cost price on my end being lower than ever for purchases. The last time I rented a game for a few days was $8 I believe. Those $8 today not only get you more than 1 title, but about 24 full days to play it (about 35 cents per day compared to $3 a day at something like Redbox)

Physical media for content is an archaic and inefficient process with costs that will continue to rise. The big domino that needs to fall is GameStop and that’s the point in where I think a $5-$10 tax on games will be applied to those who continue to live in the Stone Age.

Get on with the times. It’s time 66% of console gamers move on.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
It is absolutely worth your time. You are just emotionally attached to pancake sized circles with a hole in the middle.

You completely missed my point about logistics and are ignoring the significance of something like game pass. I also mentioned the average cost price on my end being lower than ever for purchases. The last time I rented a game for a few days was $8 I believe. Those $8 today not only get you more than 1 title, but about 24 full days to play it (about 35 cents per day compared to $3 a day at something like Redbox)

Physical media for content is an archaic and inefficient process with costs that will continue to rise. The big domino that needs to fall is GameStop and that’s the point in where I think a $5-$10 tax on games will be applied to those who continue to live in the Stone Age.

Get on with the times. It’s time 66% of console gamers move on.
But even when they add that $5 dollar charge on a new game , I can still go to gamestop/bestbuy/amazon and trade a fairly new game for 20-25.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
But even when they add that $5 dollar charge on a new game , I can still go to gamestop/bestbuy/amazon and trade a fairly new game for 20-25.
Most people don't do that anymore and by the time most get tempted you might get enough cash to buy a hot dog.

You guys are holding on to the old way things worked.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
Most people don't do that anymore and by the time most get tempted you might get enough cash to buy a hot dog.

Ur tripping. A lot of people trade in games after they beat them. God of War and far cry 5 both got me 30 after I beat them. That’s a free game right there. Who holds on to a single player game after they beat it?

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ur tripping. A lot of people trade in games after they beat them. God of War and far cry 5 both got me 30 after I beat them. That’s a free game right there. Who holds on to a single player game after they beat it?

By that logic, you might as well gamefly/rent. I buy my PS4 single players digital since I know I'm playing again eventually

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Did you know most games are half price within 2 months in the live store, better prices elsewhere. I have 340 games, it's because I am doing what you think is only possible on steam brah

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
By that logic, you might as well gamefly/rent. I buy my PS4 single players digital since I know I'm playing again eventually
And I do. Another reason I won’t switch over.

I have played every single game I wanted for 7-8 years. Those I felt were worth buying, I did. When I beat them or got tired, I sold them on eBay and then got another new game half off with the profits.

If 66% of console gamers are still on physical, then yes.... most people DO do that.

Nobody is stupid. If there was a reason to go digital, besides not have to get out your chair, we’d all do it.

If gta was 60 for a disc and 50 for digital, I’d never buy another game disc in life.

If I can beat a game and be done with it, like 99% of single player games I like, then sell back my license for $30.... I’d do it

I have bought hundreds games over many gens. Come to my house and you’ll find 5-7 tops. Play em, get tired of them, sell them on eBay.

You keep saying rapestop like there ain’t a million places to buy and trade and sell used games. Amazon even in the game now. Sold them GTA 5 for $20 bucks last year. Haven’t missed it since. Kick is I bought it used for $20 a year prior to that. Even funnier it’s brand new for $20 now.

What would it do on my ps4? Collect dust and take up space and never get played?

You’re not wrong and I keep saying it. FOR PC GAMING. Consoles have not made it worth it. Ain’t nobody caring about a damn disc or not.

Either make it favorable to own digital by lowering the prices vs physical... or fukk off.

We supposed to transfer to digital for no gain. But just wish and hope that the company’s will reward us later down the line? Same companies who brought in dlc for 20-30 bucks that ain’t even 6 hours long. Same companies giving us stuff on the disc, blocked by a paywall. Same companies coming with loot boxes.

Nah fukk that. Show me a deal and I’ll get it.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Did you know most games are half price within 2 months in the live store, better prices elsewhere. I have 340 games, it's because I am doing what you think is only possible on steam brah
Do you ever see a forza achievement notification and swear you thought you completed that challenge before?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
anigif_enhanced-29941-1427413465-2.gif

• Dap
Reactions: hex

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One big problem with digital is when a title is de-listed or content is no longer available because of licenses issues.
The Pinball Arcade is losing a shyt ton of tables because they lost the Williams license at the end of the month but if you cop the physical copies you can still own a bunch of them