5 most iconic athletes of the last 15 years

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
You can't be serious:stopitslime:

Put it this way. Lebron or popular NBA players have a better chance of drawing a large crowd overseas than internat Soccer players would in the USA. I've already posted the links talking about athletes on a GLOBAL/WORLD RANKING level.

This is 2012

LeBron James' market share (2012/2013)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9420455/lebron-james-market-share

Breh...I see all those numbers and figures and it feels like ESPN advanced stats "proving" player A is better than player B or that Durant was better than Lebron last year when who would actually want on your team? Right. Measuring popularity by merchandising is, pardon me, a very American way of seieng things: I'm a huge Kobe fan and a Knicks fan since 93, and I only own...two Knicks starter caps. And I didn't even buy them lol

We already agreed Lebron is huge in China, but let's put it this way: Kobe too, as well as in Europe, where I believe he still has the edge (please don't put up Twitter followers again lol) so if you add that up...and your reasoning of comparing numbers of Lebron or Kobe or other US athletes drawing more numbers in other countries than athletes from other countries in the US is flawed, because you use the US as the center. I don't think soccer players care that much about drawing numbers in Dallas when they're semi-Gods in Latin America, Europe and Africa.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
We already agreed Lebron is huge in China, but let's put it this way: Kobe too, as well as in Europe, where I believe he still has the edge (please don't put up Twitter followers again lol) so if you add that up...and your reasoning of comparing numbers of Lebron or Kobe or other US athletes drawing more numbers in other countries than athletes from other countries in the US is flawed, because you use the US as the center. I don't think soccer players care that much about drawing numbers in Dallas when they're semi-Gods in Latin America, Europe and Africa.

It just means people like Lebron, Kobe, Jordan etc.. have a more spread global appeal if they can draw crowds in Europe, Africa, latin America, Asia + USA while those Soccer players can't in the USA.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It just means people like Lebron, Kobe, Jordan etc.. have a more spread global appeal if they can draw crowds in Europe, Africa, latin America, Asia + USA while those Soccer players can't in the USA.

The USA is just ONE country breh. Those soccer players have more global appeal except in ONE country, while NBA players's appeal (agreed, the only athletes of an american sport the world care about) might be higher in a couple but def not in most. NBA players don't have more appeal than soccer players in Europe, Latin America or Africa breh, come on now...Don't let numbers fool you, of course Messi sells less shoes than Lebron, who you ever seen walking around with soccer shoes on :skip:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The USA is just ONE country breh. Those soccer players have more global appeal except in ONE country,

and that one country might be the most important globally

while NBA players's appeal (agreed, the only athletes of an american sport the world care about)

American boxers, tennis and track & field athletes also seem to have global appeal.

might be higher in a couple but def not in most. NBA players don't have more appeal than soccer players in Europe, Latin America or Africa breh, come on now...

I just said popular NBA players have more spread appeal in that they can go anywhere in the world and draw a crowd. The same can't be said for any other sport, including soccer.

Don't let numbers fool you, of course Messi sells less shoes than Lebron, who you ever seen walking around with soccer shoes on :skip:

lebron would still make more in endorsements even w/o the shoe deal

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
and that one country might be the most important globally

American boxers, tennis and track & field athletes also seem to have global appeal.

I just said popular NBA players have more spread appeal in that they can go anywhere in the world and draw a crowd. The same can't be said for any other sport, including soccer.

lebron would still make more in endorsements even w/o the shoe deal

Listen I understand you're American and you think the world revolves around the US, but people have lives elsewhere.
Boxing, tennis and track are not "American sports" breh, come on now. I specified "American sports" in this thread, meaning sports mainly played in the US (or Canada to an extent) stuff like Basketball, Baseball, what you guys call "football", Hockey...none of those sports are big worlwide except Basketball. I have no idea what Bonds or Jeter look like, shyt I don't even know what sports they are in.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Listen I understand you're American and you think the world revolves around the US, but people have lives elsewhere.
Boxing, tennis and track are not "American sports" breh, come on now.

Those are AMERICAN SPORTS....

I specified "American sports" in this thread, meaning sports mainly played in the US (or Canada to an extent) stuff like Basketball, Baseball, what you guys call "football", Hockey...none of those sports are big worlwide except Basketball.

All of the sports you just listed are global except NFL.:stopitslime:

I have no idea what Bonds or Jeter look like, shyt I don't even know what sports they are in.

Baseball is global to certain south/latin americans and east asians.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Those are AMERICAN SPORTS....

All of the sports you just listed are global except NFL.:stopitslime:

Baseball is global to certain south/latin americans and east asians.

American as in "mostly played in the US" breh, Basketball isn't strictly an American sport (invented by a Canadian) but it's dominated by American. Boxing wasn't invented by Americans lol, tennis neither.

Baseball and Hockey are global where? Global like soccer? :mjlol:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
American as in "mostly played in the US" breh, Basketball isn't strictly an American sport (invented by a Canadian) but it's dominated by American.

Boxing wasn't invented by Americans lol, tennis neither.

American Sports to me are the sports that are heavily played and are popular in the USA while also having highly historic and influential participants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States

You haven't noticed all of those South-Latin Americans and East Asians in MLB?:stopitslime:

and Hockey are global where?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_Europe

Global like soccer? :mjlol:

Soccer and basketball are the 2 most global/widespread sports

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
American Sports to me are the sports that are heavily played and are popular in the USA while also having highly historic and influential participants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States

You haven't noticed all of those South-Latin Americans and East Asians in MLB?:stopitslime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_Europe

Soccer and basketball are the 2 most global/widespread sports

Breh, I don't watch MLB...

Yes, you have a couple countries who play hockey in Europe...is that your definition of "global"? Do you know when the Hockey World Cup is played?:aicmon:

Soccer and basketball yes, that's exactly what I've been saying for the past 5 posts breh :heh: your other sports might be popular here and there but nowhere as global as those two.

BonafideDefacto

The Coli's Jetsetter & Globetrotter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Most of you don't even know what the 3 most popular sports are in the world. Then followed by that, you don't understand population. The 2 most populous countries account for over 1/3 of the worlds population (India, China). It goes beyond just the big games. These 5 I selected are based upon not only sport, but in essence, who posses the greatest image no matter where an advertiser would put there face in the world; be it Mumbai, India, Shanghai, China, New York City or Johannesburg, South Africa.

Let me break down my definition of a Sports Icon:

The visual identity that is associated with the defining characteristic of said sports era. The image of face that constitutes GLOBALsignificance to sport at his/her apex during this 15 year period.

Top 3 most Iconic Athletes in the world since 2000 in the 3 biggest Sports followed by 2 others:

1. Soccer - CHRISTIANO RONALDO
The most followed athlete on twitter. Just to give you an idea. Lebron is the most followed American athlete at around 13 million. Ronaldo has 26 million followers. He is an advertisers dream face wise. He is the biggest name in the biggest sport in the world.

2. Basketball - KOBE BRYANT

In the fastest growing sport in the world, I would put Jordan but we are talking active. While Lebron has finally caught him in 2012. Since 2000 no other NBA player has had the Global impact as Kobe. I need not go into this further cause there really isnt a debate

3. Cricket - SACHIN TENDULKAR

Think Michael Jordan, but bigger. Think Wayne Gretzky, but more adored. Think Pele, but possibly more revered. Combine them into a single athlete and you might begin to capture the adoration Indians have for cricket star Sachin Tendulkar. But he stretches beyond India. In the worlds 3rd most popular sport. His legendary status stretches through every continent. Although not a household name in America. Cricket is huge in Austrailia, Asia, Africa the Caribbean and Western Europe. Its even big in South America

Golf - TIGER WOODS

No need to explain

Tennis - ROGER FEDERER

No need to explain either

I have a list of 5 honorable mentions who are huge globally as well​

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Breh, I don't watch MLB...

That's why you don't know how global it is

Yes, you have a couple countries who play hockey in Europe...is that your definition of "global"?

If it's international then it's global:manny:

Do you know when the Hockey World Cup is played?:aicmon:

I don't watch Hockey:russ:

Soccer and basketball yes, that's exactly what I've been saying for the past 5 posts breh :heh: your other sports might be popular here and there but nowhere as global as those two.

NFL/American football is the only sport that isn't global.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
I have never agreed with anything @mbewane says on here but dudes right but basketball is nowhere near as popular as soccer lol

Bbl might be second but it's not a close second. In terms of popularity

Messi/ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lebron