4090 FE with EK waterblock & 12900K Raffle

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
@Ciggavelli to avoid exposing your addy while retaining the ability to get a misdelivery returned to you, use "[your name], general delivery, [city/state/zip of any usps]"

for a provably fair lottery (to prevent bytching by the losers), you can use the bitcoin blockchain. first, give each entry a sequential number N_x (so hood critic's 0, daze23's 1, mike809's 2, etc.). then, take the hash of the first block mined after the lottery's closing time and do R = hash % |N|, the poster with entry R is the winner. this also saves you the effort of figuring out who won since anyone here can do it. i guess this counts as my entry lol.
That's a good idea. I may need some additional instructions on how to do that, but it seems the most fair for sure

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
@Ciggavelli to avoid exposing your addy while retaining the ability to get a misdelivery returned to you, use "[your name], general delivery, [city/state/zip of any usps]"

for a provably fair lottery (to prevent bytching by the losers), you can use the bitcoin blockchain. first, give each entry a sequential number N_x (so hood critic's 0, daze23's 1, mike809's 2, etc.). then, take the hash of the first block mined after the lottery's closing time and do R = hash % |N|, the poster with entry R is the winner. this also saves you the effort of figuring out who won since anyone here can do it. i guess this counts as my entry lol.
wouldn't it be easier to just assign every contestant a number, and then just use a random number generator (google has one) to pick the winner

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
wouldn't it be easier to just assign every contestant a number, and then just use a random number generator (google has one) to pick the winner
I was thinking about just putting everybody's name in Excel and then assigning a random number to each person. Then, I'll sort from lowest number to highest, the the person with the lowest number wins. I'm into trying the blockchain thing as well if it's not too complicated

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I was thinking about just putting everybody's name in Excel and then assigning a random number to each person. Then, I'll sort from lowest number to highest, the the person with the lowest number wins. I'm into trying the blockchain thing as well if it's not too complicated
Good idea.

Def put me in

edit: :dame:

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
the point is that it's provably fair cause anyone can replicate the results (the winner's being called based on a specific random number generated in the future, which anyone can look up), it saves the organizer from having to do the draw (all they have to do is assign the numbers), also most importantly i'm a big nerd and this is the nerd subforum so we should use nerd techniques only :smile:

it's pretty easy to do too, let's pretend a raffle just ended and the three brehs in my example were the only ones who entered. the latest block according to blockchain.com/explorer has a hash of 39948bcc4576ff1e087553e21122f9543989f52fc21a9, modulo 3 of this is 0, so hood critic would be the winner. your method's the easiest by far tho.