4/20/24 DAZN PPV: Devin Haney vs Ryan Garcia (WBC Super Lightweight Title)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Actually another major factor Ryan showed that I'm pretty sure Derrick James introduced to him is ring generalship.

Dude brought Haney to him many times effectively. When Haney was backing up is when he had his best chance, but he didn't back-up much fight.

Ryan's movement got Haney to start stalking him. It looked like Haney was cutting off the ring, but why would you cut off the ring against someone who's a massively stronger puncher and person? They played right into Ryan's hands where the heavy-handed combinations were waiting.

Last edited:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
@BaRRyG and @gho3st called it.

@Agent Mulder @shopthatwrecks and @Oztradamus was close with the 3 knock downs.

Ryan did his thing man. I was shocked thought this would be easy win for Devin.
:russ: nikka whole persona changed once Boots was mentioned. 47 is weak, but Boots would eat Garcia alive. Ryan still got hella flaws and Haney, even with his pillow fist was controlling the fight from Rd 2 until around that first kd by feinting and varying up the jab to keep Ryan unsure of where his opening for the hook was. And his defense was too turn his back and expose his kidneys. Someone with the athletic gifts and the power boots has, Ryan would be food. But if Boots is serious about wanting to fight Crawford, then he'll be at 54 trying to impress to get that fight, so Ryan could be fine at 47.

CoCKy GeNiuS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At the end of the day, everyone has a weight ceiling.

Skills aren't the ceiling. It's the hurt business. Stopping power is the ceiling.

When a fighter doesn't respect your ability to drop them and end it instantaneously, any good fighter will smell food.

Aside from money, there's a reason Floyd didn't move up and look for Andre Ward, Bernard Hopkins, etc. and why he didn't look so great vs an older De La Hoya.

It's the same reason why Bud Crawford's trainer said they won't move up to 175 lbs. for Canelo.

Haney basically met his and he's like Loma: 130 lbs. is where they're dominant, 135 lbs. is where they're elite. 140 lbs. is his limit and this is a glimpse of how badly he'd get destroyed this badly at 147 lbs. by someone who is perhaps best fit for 147 and maybe 154.
Yea the reason he didn't look super vs Oscar is because he obviously didn't want to end it early. He had Oscar drink early on and stepped off the gas.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yea the reason he didn't look super vs Oscar is because he obviously didn't want to end it early. He had Oscar drink early on and stepped off the gas.
I think that's part of it, but also due to Oscar neutralizing Floyd's check left hook as well and a combination of Floyd not used to the weight.

I'm sure Floyd's plan wasn't to win the fight by a couple rounds late. Like every fight, had that left hand been working he would've preferred to pitch a shut out. De La Hoya was fighting/sitting at 160 before the fight and while Floyd's punches were effective, it was pretty clear to see a big disparity in how he handled Hopkins's punches vs a 150 lbs. Floyd's.

Point being, Floyd knew not to step to 160 lbs. and understood there was no need to with the names at 147. Part of having a great record is fighters understanding their limits. Few fighters have both a Middleweight and Heavyweight title in their careers.

Last edited:

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
I just want to say again theres a difference between losing to someone who weighs 3 pounds more than you during weigh-ins and theyre doing it as a strategic move while still training seriously. Thats not what happened here. Garcia has been partying, doing drugs, barely training and drinking multiple times a week the whole buildup to the fight. He literally drank while on the scale. Yes, he weighed more but he also lacks fundamentals and didnt even train seriously for this fight while being in a manic state.

Had this been a serious Ryan that fought Davis thats actually being serious and training properly I highly doubt Haney wouldve taken the fight. He saw Ryan goofing off and thought it was his opportunity to come up off a "name" while that person wasnt being serious and it backfired. Do you really believe 3 pounds is the reason Haney was dropped 3 times (really atleast 4) by a drunk not even taking the fight seriously Ryan:unimpressed:? Ryan literally almost slept him in the 1st round..

I like Haney but cats gotta be serious, a serious trained Ryan that makes weight likely does him even worse based off what I seen last night...

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Styles makes fights...food? Lol
The same thing that happened in this fight was foretold in the Haney vs Linares fight ..That shyt was a flashing warning to what could happen to Haney if he makes a mistake/gets caught . nikkas just ignored it because they weren’t being objective..

Any high level guy with pop at 140 is doing what Garcia did .

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
:russ: nikka whole persona changed once Boots was mentioned. 47 is weak, but Boots would eat Garcia alive. Ryan still got hella flaws and Haney, even with his pillow fist was controlling the fight from Rd 2 until around that first kd by feinting and varying up the jab to keep Ryan unsure of where his opening for the hook was. And his defense was too turn his back and expose his kidneys. Someone with the athletic gifts and the power boots has, Ryan would be food. But if Boots is serious about wanting to fight Crawford, then he'll be at 54 trying to impress to get that fight, so Ryan could be fine at 47.
Connor Benn, Ryan, A Uber Driver, a UPS man idk boots gotta fight somebody. I like boots if that Ryan and Boots fight ever jumped off I'm rooting for boots.
At the end of the day, everyone has a weight ceiling.

Skills aren't the ceiling. It's the hurt business. Stopping power is the ceiling.

When a fighter doesn't respect your ability to drop them and end it instantaneously, any good fighter will smell food.

Aside from money, there's a reason Floyd didn't move up and look for Andre Ward, Bernard Hopkins, etc. and why he didn't look so great vs an older De La Hoya.

It's the same reason why Bud Crawford's trainer said they won't move up to 175 lbs. for Canelo.

Haney basically met his and he's like Loma: 130 lbs. is where they're dominant, 135 lbs. is where they're elite. 140 lbs. is his limit and this is a glimpse of how badly he'd get destroyed this badly at 147 lbs. by someone who is perhaps best fit for 147 and maybe 154.
I remember Haney calling out Thurman but from tonight I don't think that would be a good fight for him

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I just want to say again theres a difference between losing to someone who weighs 3 pounds more than you during weigh-ins and theyre doing it as a strategic move while still training seriously. Thats not what happened here. Garcia has been partying, doing drugs, barely training and drinking multiple times a week the whole buildup to the fight. He literally drank while on the scale. Yes, he weighed more but he also lacks fundamentals and didnt even train seriously for this fight while being in a manic state.

Had this been a serious Ryan that fought Davis thats actually being serious and training properly I highly doubt Haney wouldve taken the fight. He saw Ryan goofing off and thought it was his opportunity to come up off a "name" while that person wasnt being serious and it backfired. Do you really believe 3 pounds is the reason Haney was dropped 3 times (really atleast 4) by a drunk not even taking the fight seriously Ryan:unimpressed:? Ryan literally almost slept him in the 1st round..

I like Haney but cats gotta be serious, a serious trained Ryan that makes weight likely does him even worse based off what I seen last night...
De la hoya and Derrick James said he was training hard...

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps

3 lbs is a lot, I'm assuming you never made weight for a fight. Infact you legally not even allowed to lose 3 lbs if you over at a weight in. my real issues is what Devin's defense than, than the weight weight definitely benefited Ryan he would have been drained if he made the weight he legally agreed too.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora

That was smoke and mirrors .

He trolled nikkas hard.

Nothing about how he looked physically looked like a guy that was sniffing coke ,popping pills and partying for 3 months

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
The same thing that happened in this fight was foretold in the Haney vs Linares fight ..That shyt was a flashing warning to what could happen to Haney if he makes a mistake/gets caught . nikkas just ignored it because they weren’t being objective..

Any high level guy with pop at 140 is doing what Garcia did .
Foretold but he kept winning. He's been fighting the best competition while everyone is fighting C listers and chumps. Odd assessment.