30 years ago Martin Scorsese dropped a classic film called Goodfellas

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Everyone compares Menace II Society and Boyz N the Hood, but Menace was much closer in style to a Scorsese movie.

The Hughes brothers said Scorsese was a big influence on them. Just watch Goodfellas and then Menace. They both start out with a sudden act of violence, along with some narration. Henry talks about always wanting to be a gangster, Caine about how things were funny in the hood. Then they cut back to their childhoods and they show them as kids and their families.

The house party scene in Menace is similar to the restaurant scene when Henry introduces some of the wise guys. They both have tracking shots inside, with narration talking about different characters

I thought the second half of Menace was kind of like Mean Streets with its series of vignettes, giving a slice-of-life feel.

I know Scorsese was complimentary of the movie and the Hughes brothers.

I always thought they should've did a few more Gangster/Hood movies before they branched out completely. Dead Presidents is still their best work and the star was from Menace.

Red

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
... to this.

3kETg4y.gif

Time is undefeated. :mjcry:

Why the fukk did he just not shoot this scene differently, cutting between DeNiro's face, a body double shot from behind DeNiro's daughter watching on, DeNiro's daughter's face and the shopkeeper getting stomped into the tarmac... or something?! Took me outta the movie for a lil bit and snapped me back into reality..

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Why the fukk did he just not shoot this scene differently, cutting between DeNiro's face, a body double shot from behind DeNiro's daughter watching on, DeNiro's daughter's face and the shopkeeper getting stomped into the tarmac... or something?! Took me outta the movie for a lil bit and snapped me back into reality..
I have no idea, especially because Scorsese used to be king at improvising scenes like that.