26 million people watched the World Cup final

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
All those numbers won't carry over to the MLS. So, it doesn't matter tbh
Some of it will. I'm sure some interested casuals are now open to going to a match of their local team. If not some of their kids might be interested

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
For context-

Here in nyc, the New York City football club(the first nyc specific professional sports team in history)
Gave the city its first major league championship in over ten years………and um no one seemed to care. And this New York we talking bout :francis:
They can't do shyt by playing in Yankee Stadium plus they're the little brother organization of Man City. The league messed up royally with that team :hhh:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
This discussion was about sports popularity IN THE UNITED STATES.

Cobra said that soccer was more popular than hockey here in America and I responded saying that his statement is false (which it is).

No one was talking about sports popularity worldwide. Everyone knows that the most popular sport globally is soccer. But like I said, that wasn't apart of the discussion :unimpressed:
NHL is #4 here in the States but that's mainly cause they're an older league and have better TV contracts than the MLS. But low key here in LA the Galaxy & LAFC are talked about and seem to be way bigger than the LA Kings in general. The Anaheim Ducks don't even register. I'm sure it's like this in other cities as well. Some of these MLS teams are on par if not bigger than their hockey counterpart locally

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

THERES 62 MILLION HISPANICS
IN AMERICA....

THERES ALSO PPL
OF FRENCH/AFRICAN HERITAGE
IN THIS COUNTRY WHO HAD A ROOTING INTEREST.

ADD TO THE FACT AMERICANS
TREAT THE WORLD CUP LIKE
MARCH MADNESS...
ITS A PARTY EVENT
FOR A SPORT NO ONE WATCHES
OUTSIDE OF TOURNEY TIME.
:devil:
:evil:

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
is it really necessary though? it would be a way of exposing the idiots who would actually be dense enough to think that's global when everyone knows that number starts at half whatever the world's population is and goes from there.
That’s exactly what happened on the 1st page

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
NHL is #4 here in the States but that's mainly cause they're an older league and have better TV contracts than the MLS. But low key here in LA the Galaxy & LAFC are talked about and seem to be way bigger than the LA Kings in general. The Anaheim Ducks don't even register. I'm sure it's like this in other cities as well. Some of these MLS teams are on par if not bigger than their hockey counterpart locally
Yeah but I'm sure when the Kings won those 2 Stanley Cups in 2012 & 2014 barely anyone was talking about the LA Galaxy (even though the Galaxy won 3 MLS Cups in 2011, 2012 & 2014). Anyways, Los Angeles is not the best market to be talking about the popularity of ice hockey.

Ice hockey as the name suggests is a cold weather sport. Ice hockey is the strongest in the coldest parts of the country (the Midwest and Northeast). Those regions are also where hockey first became big in America and is home to the NHL's "Original Six" teams.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
10 Am on a Sunday (Eastern) most people are out&about ,sleeping,church (for some),working. You will never get Super Bowl numbers or half of those #s in America unless its America vs Brazil in the World Cup Final or something. Numbers would have been higher if this World Cup was in the Summertime imo.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Its very telling that the a sport Americans generally don't care about does better TV ratings than the NBA finals, the NHL finals and the MLB finals. Of course the NFL is different but that's 3 of the big 4 sports in the US
I mean your comparison would be apt if the NBA finals was once every 4 years….and One game.

You’re comparing apples…and automobiles.

:snooze:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
somewhat low considering the other games (sans CFP) are full series and not one game.

super bowl is just next level

maybe its cause all the females tune into the halftime foolishness

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
I'm confusing. I just quoted your post and shared the convo and replies. I haven't changed anything at all and am pretty clear. You were the one who decided to say @cobra said something that he did not say.

I am not even debating you, I am pointing out a mistake in your posts and you are pretending I can't read what was written when you were the one who was dismissing what @cobra said because you confused yourself.

Cobra said soccer has surpassed hockey and is close to eclipsing baseball. Did you not reply, dismissively, with "Nah, the NHL is way bigger than the MLS. Hockey is still #4."?

Where am I confusing anything?

And breh, you shouldn't be talking down people when you aren't consistent with what you are saying. You aren't as smart as you think, my guy. Relax and be clearer.
Unnecessary comment and the same can be said to you :comeon:

Also, what I wrote to Cobra was not "dismissive". I was just factually correcting his statement.

All you had to say is that you took it the wrong way - even though, you weren't apart of the conversation.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Also, what I wrote to Cobra was not "dismissive". I was just factually correcting his statement.
nah, it was dismissive. And its goofy you still haven't acknowledged that you made a mistake in your post.

Again:

These are great numbers. Soccer obviously is still the 5th most popular sport in the country but it's growing in popularity.

The 2026 World Cup is going to do MASSIVE numbers. It's going to be hosted here in North America (US, Canada & Mexico) with most of the games being played in the US. That World Cup also lines up with America's 250th birthday - the festivities are going to be amazing :wow:

it has eclipsed hockey, i think
quickly catching up to baseball

Nah, the NHL is way bigger than the MLS. Hockey is still #4.

@cobra never talked about the leagues.

Then you said this to @Spade

The nhl is bigger than the mls. Soccer the sport is bigger than hockey. MLS isn’t even the most viewed soccer league in this country.

Yeah, I never said that hockey was bigger than soccer. That wasn't apart of the discussion :gucci:

you dismissed both and won't acknowledge YOUR error.