26 million people watched the World Cup final

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
It’s a once every 4 year, global tournament. I don’t know much about soccer at all,
and even I was glued to the screen for the final.

Not to mention the US is one of the most diverse countries in the world, ie there are a lot of international folks here who don’t care much about American sports but love soccer.

These numbers a). Shouldn’t surprise anyone and b). Don’t go proving that soccer is suddenly as popular as NFL or the NBA.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
The nhl is bigger than the mls. Soccer the sport is bigger than hockey. MLS isn’t even the most viewed soccer league in this country.
Yeah, I never said that hockey was bigger than soccer (worldwide). That wasn't apart of the discussion :gucci:

Last edited:

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
i don't really think NYC is a soccer region.

it's mostly the west coast, southwest or florida and Ohio

having said that, this isn't a sign for anything, like other dude said, those rating aligns with other WC finals
NYC is not necessarily a "soccer region" but there still some avid soccer fans here.

The #1 market for the France-Morocco game was the NYC area and that wasn't the only game where NYC was in the top 5 markets.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
What are you talking about? :why:
Breh, are you serious?
These are great numbers. Soccer obviously is still the 5th most popular sport in the country but it's growing in popularity.

The 2026 World Cup is going to do MASSIVE numbers. It's going to be hosted here in North America (US, Canada & Mexico) with most of the games being played in the US. That World Cup also lines up with America's 250th birthday - the festivities are going to be amazing :wow:

it has eclipsed hockey, i think
quickly catching up to baseball

Nah, the NHL is way bigger than the MLS. Hockey is still #4.

That’s the conversation lol

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Its very telling that the a sport Americans generally don't care about does better TV ratings than the NBA finals, the NHL finals and the MLB finals. Of course the NFL is different but that's 3 of the big 4 sports in the US
America is full of immigrants who enjoy soccer and descendants of immigrants who value soccer culturally.

When you go by Yankee Stadium the Mexicans and Central Americans are deep supporting the MLS team. Those same people could give a fukk about the NBA or MLB.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Billions watched the World Cup? :stopitslime:

Only 7 Billion people in the world. Have are women. 1/3 under 18. Most people don't have TVs.
Two billion would grammatically qualify for the moniker of billions.

There are also these things called bars where matches can be watched. Also large outdoor watch parties.

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Breh, are you serious?

That’s literally what happened lol
This discussion was about sports popularity IN THE UNITED STATES.

Cobra said that soccer was more popular than hockey here in America and I responded saying that his statement is false (which it is).

No one was talking about sports popularity worldwide. Everyone knows that the most popular sport globally is soccer. But like I said, that wasn't apart of the discussion :unimpressed:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This discussion was about sports popularity IN THE UNITED STATES.

Cobra said that soccer was more popular than hockey here in America and I responded saying that his statement is false (which it is).

No one was talking about sports popularity worldwide. Everyone knows that the most popular sport globally is soccer. But like I said, that wasn't apart of the discussion :unimpressed:
I‘m well aware of what he said, I quoted it. You mentioned soccer first. And then said the convo was about MLS and not the sport of soccer. @cobra was discussing the sport in the US, which is why he said baseball. Why in the fukk would he be talking about baseball on a worldwide level? :russ:

I can add smilies too to show that you are being dismissive because you won’t admit your error. :aicmon:

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
2016 finals had 30.1M people watched Game 7

26M is a massive flop for a championship that happens every 4 years…. Soccer is hockey status in America
Dumb statement.

I‘m well aware of what he said, I quoted it. You mentioned soccer first. And then said the convo was about MLS and not the sport of soccer. @cobra was discussing the sport in the US, which is why he said baseball. Why in the fukk would he be talking about baseball on a worldwide level? :russ:

I can add smilies too to show that you are being dismissive because you won’t admit your error. :aicmon:
OK breh, you're very confusing and aren't making sense. It just seems like everything that I post you want to debate or argue with me.

You can take a break sometimes. You know that, right?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Dumb statement.

OK breh, you're very confusing and aren't making sense. It just seems like everything that I post you want to debate or argue with me.

You can take a break sometimes. You know that, right?
I'm confusing. I just quoted your post and shared the convo and replies. I haven't changed anything at all and am pretty clear. You were the one who decided to say @cobra said something that he did not say.

I am not even debating you, I am pointing out a mistake in your posts and you are pretending I can't read what was written when you were the one who was dismissing what @cobra said because you confused yourself.

Cobra said soccer has surpassed hockey and is close to eclipsing baseball. Did you not reply, dismissively, with "Nah, the NHL is way bigger than the MLS. Hockey is still #4."?

Where am I confusing anything?

And breh, you shouldn't be talking down people when you aren't consistent with what you are saying. You aren't as smart as you think, my guy. Relax and be clearer.

Last edited: