26 million people watched the World Cup final

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
somewhat low considering the other games (sans CFP) are full series and not one game.

super bowl is just next level

maybe its cause all the females tune into the halftime foolishness
That's not low for a World Cup in America. That's solid.

Also, if you include worldwide ratings, the World Cup is in another planet compared to the Super Bowl.

The World Cup gets BILLIONS of viewers. The Super Bowl gets usually around 100+ million viewers.

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
nah, it was dismissive. And its goofy you still haven't acknowledged that you made a mistake in your post.

Again:

@cobra never talked about the leagues.

Then you said this to @Spade
Factually correcting someone is dismissive? Stop it.

Also, soccer the sport can't eclipse hockey until the biggest soccer league in America (MLS) becomes more culturally relevant.

The average American cares more about their local NHL team winning the Stanley Cup than their local MLS team winning the MLS Cup.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Factually correcting someone is dismissive? Stop it.
He didn't say anything that wasn't factual. You didn't disprove anything. :dead:

Citing MLS not being bigger than the NHL is not saying soccer isn't bigger than hockey, which is why you went back and edited your post because you realized that. :russ:

Also, soccer the sport can't eclipse hockey until the biggest soccer league in America (MLS) becomes more culturally relevant.
Nope! Because you don't follow soccer. The biggest soccer league in America is the English Premier League.

The second biggest league is Liga MX. You don't know what you are talking about.

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
He didn't say anything that wasn't factual. You didn't disprove anything. :dead:

Citing MLS not being bigger than the NHL is not a saying soccer isn't bigger than hockey, which is why you went back and edited your post because you realized that. :russ:
The only thing I edited was to add the word "worldwide". To clarify that I wasn't talking about worldwide popularity. That's it.

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Nope! Because you don't follow soccer. The biggest soccer league in America is the English Premier League.

The second biggest league is Liga MX. You don't know what you are talking about.
Don't follow soccer? Yet, I didn't see you for one second in the World Cup thread in The Coliseum lol.

I know all about soccer. A few years ago, I used to wake early to watch Premier League games, so it's laughable that you think I don't know about the Premier League :mjlol:

Also, Liga MX is NOT the 2nd biggest soccer league in world? What are you talking about? :mjlol:

The 2nd biggest is La Liga which is in Spain.

EDIT: I see that you're talking about solely in the United States. So, I'll clarify my statement.

It looks like Liga MX is the biggest soccer league in America in terms of TV viewership - 1. Liga MX Leads in Soccer Viewership in U.S. - AC&M Group and 2. MLS fails to close TV ratings gap with Premier League and Liga MX

But honestly, most of the people who watch Liga MX are Mexican-Americans. Hardly any Americans who aren't of Mexican (or Hispanic/Latino) heritage watch Liga MX.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I'd rather watch a meaningful Soccer match than the fukking world series anyday...I've probably watched 3 NHL games my entire life

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
42 million people watched a regular season cowboys game on THANKSGIVING.

not really the stat you want to use to show us' interest in soccer

Thanksgiving day game is explicitly structured around holiday viewing and aired in the background by people who don't give a shyt about football or the teams involved. The World Cup game aired at 7am on the west coast. That was a terrible comp.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You guys are stupid

It’s not about the sport

World Cup connects all nationalities Africans Chinese white folk Mexicans etc etc. not really rocket science.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Billions watched the World Cup? :stopitslime:

Only 7 Billion people in the world. Have are women. 1/3 under 18. Most people don't have TVs.

75% of households in the world have a TV (1.7 billion television households out of 2.3 billion households total). And during the World Cup a shytload of people who don't have TVs find someone who does to watch it. Back in summer 2014 I was in a remote 3rd-world village at night and villagers who literally live in huts were crowded around their village stores 20-30 deep watching a World Cup game between two teams who weren't even from their continent.

3.6 billion people watched at least one World Cup game in 2018, and 1.12 billion watched the World Cup final between France and Croatia. Since Messi is the most popular player in the world and France-Argentina involved multiple continents and was far more highly anticipated than France-Croatia, the 2022 Finals probably killed those numbers.

Jeshaman

All Star
Daps
Billions watched the World Cup? :stopitslime:

Only 7 Billion people in the world. Have are women. 1/3 under 18. Most people don't have TVs.
There are viewing centers all over Africa where people can watch the games for pennies.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The world cup is an international event of course it’s going to have the biggest viewing numbers :dahell:

Why is it suddenly being compared to individual National sports leagues viewer wise? :dahell: