2024 NFL Offseason Thread

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
I don’t know that I agree there, even if your evaluation is correct. If he’s got it, he’ll figure it out even through troubles. I have a hard time thinking he would be less ready than someone like Josh Allen as a rookie. Whoever drafts him pretty much has to start him, even if we went 10th overall. Saying he can’t handle starting year one puts him out of a first round grade imo

We will see. I just don't trust organizations like the Bears or Commanders to do it right, they are always having issues trying to get it right. If he does right and I am wrong, so be it, I will admit my mistake.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I don’t know that I agree there, even if your evaluation is correct. If he’s got it, he’ll figure it out even through troubles. I have a hard time thinking he would be less ready than someone like Josh Allen as a rookie. Whoever drafts him pretty much has to start him, even if we went 10th overall. Saying he can’t handle starting year one puts him out of a first round grade imo
People are getting caught up in the "Mahomes sat" wave and not remembering he sat behind a guy who was the premier game manager.
We will see. I just don't trust organizations like the Bears or Commanders to do it right, they are always having issues trying to get it right. If he does right and I am wrong, so be it, I will admit my mistake.
This seems like more of an issue with Chicago and Washington as team builders/QB groomers than Caleb himself.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
I don't have a low grade on him as a quarterback, I just don't think he is a #1 Overall pick. For me he is a first rounder that needs his skills refined to handle the NFL.

I believe he needs to sit down for a year or two, and not get thrown into a starter role right away. Do it like Mahomes, let him sit a year and learn how to remove the parts of his game that won't work like they did in College because he could get away with it.

Outdated thinking. Nobody sits anymore.

Also you’re conflating being good right away vs a 2,5, 10, even 15 year trajectory. You don’t draft for “NFL-ready”. If that was the case go get a Mac jones or Bo Nix. Coaches get paid for a reason. They will coach him up

His only issue will be mental. Bc unfortunately, he’s gonna be disliked for the rest of his career. He’s just gotta withstand the growing pains. Physically, from a tools perspective, there’s no chance you’ve watched any tape whatsoever saying what you’re saying. None.

This isn’t a real thing. Might as well be superstition. Back some 20 years ago the Lions drafted not one not two but THREE busts at WR in the top 10. In back to back to back years. 2 years later they said fukk we gon do it again. That pick was Calvin Johnson. All that ‘they don’t know how to’ ain’t real. You can say it about a specific coordinator or position coach but not at the franchise level, makes no sense

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Merril provides good insights on what makes Caleb an ordinary QB. He is not a bad QB, but he is overpromoted for a 1st Rounder. He was the one that sounded the alarm on Manziel.

Basically he will need to sit on the bench and learn, not start right away.

I totally agree. If you watch the Colorado game, Caleb played well the 1st half against one of the worst defenses in NCAA. But in the 2nd half, Shedeur outplayed him, big time.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Merril provides good insights on what makes Caleb an ordinary QB. He is not a bad QB, but he is overpromoted for a 1st Rounder. He was the one that sounded the alarm on Manziel.

Basically he will need to sit on the bench and learn, not start right away.

Manziel went 18th. :comeon: When a QB goes outside the top 15, it means everyone rang the alarm.

And I see your former RB and raise you a former QB.

17 minutes of details

Chris Simms had Mahomes as #1. Publicly, before the draft. He also had Lamar and Josh Allen 1 and 2 in their draft when no one else did. He had CJ over Bryce. And not just 1a 1b he was was demonstrative about it. I’ll take his assessment over Hodge

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Lot of talking heads saying the healthy RB market we've seen in free agency is an indictment on the running back class in this upcoming draft but to me it's an indictment on the "running backs don't matter" movement. If running backs don't matter, if a mid/late RB has the same value as a really good veteran RB...why did teams suddenly decide it's ok to give RBs 8-12mil a year now? Why not just draft Blake Corum in the 4th round instead. I've said it before but every year in April some nerd tells us that running backs don't matter....and then 8-9 months later when the playoffs are gearing up we're told that teams that run the ball and stop the run are built to win playoff games. Look at the last four teams standing in the playoffs this year...three of the four teams had top 5 rushing offenses (Baltimore, Detroit, San Francisco). Two of the last four teams had top 5 rushing defenses/yards per game (San Francisco, Detroit).

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lot of talking heads saying the healthy RB market we've seen in free agency is an indictment on the running back class in this upcoming draft but to me it's an indictment on the "running backs don't matter" movement. If running backs don't matter, if a mid/late RB has the same value as a really good veteran RB...why did teams suddenly decide it's ok to give RBs 8-12mil a year now? Why not just draft Blake Corum in the 4th round instead. I've said it before but every year in April some nerd tells us that running backs don't matter....and then 8-9 months later when the playoffs are gearing up we're told that teams that run the ball and stop the run are built to win playoff games. Look at the last four teams standing in the playoffs this year...three of the four teams had top 5 rushing offenses (Baltimore, Detroit, San Francisco). Two of the last four teams had top 5 rushing defenses/yards per game (San Francisco, Detroit).
Any rbs projected for the first round?

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
I think it's a combination of the success those teams had utilizing their run game (specifically after the investment SF made with CMC and the Lions with Gibbs) and also just sharp GMs taking advantage of an obvious market inefficiency.

Hunter Renfrow, Gabe Davis and Darnell Mooney all cost more annually than Saquon and Jacobs. It reaches a point where even if you prioritize most positions over RB you're getting a really good player who touches the ball 15-20 times a week for cheaper than inferior players who might not touch the ball that many times in a month.