2024 Essential Facts About the U.S. Video Game Industry

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It took me a while to accept it but once you do the path forward is obvious. Sony isn’t satisfied with their game sales on their own hardware anymore. They’re actively seeking other avenues to grow sales because the truth is their total install base hasn’t really surpassed where it ended up on a system released over 2 decades ago.

It’s dubious if they’ll ever grow their system install base past that number again. There’s only so many people willing to buy these high end consoles and in those two decades that number hasn’t budged much.

Once you start seeking growth outside that platform because it stagnated you can end up with a situation where that potential customer base and its growth is a better opportunity than holding that content exclusively for your own even timed. You can hurt a game going viral by not having it available where more buyers are.
The Market has shifted. The games don’t sell the platforms anymore. There’s too many really good games coming out everyday. People chose their platform and play the games that come to it.

Hardware is not profitable. A customer that doesn’t fully buy into the ecosystem is not a profitable customer. No one who’s really invested in Sony/Microsoft ecosystem are gonna change platforms because some the games that would be “exclusives” end up on other platforms.

They can make lots more money selling those games to people who don’t want to invest in their ecosystem wherever they play games, instead of limiting their software profitability in order to force sell hardware to “bad” customers.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Odd, I wasn't aware of any other PS games announced/released for Switch. By definition Lego Horizon would be an outlier

a person or thing that is atypical within a particular group, class, or category
Until dawn was viewed as an outlier at one point :wow:

Over the last few years Sony has announced and shown off more day one PC/Switch titles than they have timed exclusives.

I wouldn’t call day one releases on other platforms an outlier at this point.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Over the last few years Sony has announced and shown off more day one PC/Switch titles than they have timed exclusives.

Until Dawn came out nearly a decade ago and the bolder is a lie.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps

You can juelz all you want. Lego Horizon is currently an outlier. When that changes we can have this discussion again.

You don’t need a playstation for any playstation game :usure:

How's Stellar Blade? Bet you can't wait to play Astrobot on the PC. Spider Man 2?

:mjgrin:

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You can juelz all you want. Lego Horizon is currently an outlier. When that changes we can have this discussion again.
It’s not.

That’s your new stan angle :ohlawd:
How's Stellar Blade? Bet you can't wait to play Astrobot on the PC

:mjgrin:
Stellar Blade is not a sony game. It’s a money hat that will 100% end up on PC and elsewhere.

Astrobot??? :mjlol:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
“Well I didn’t want to play that game anyways”

:mjlol:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It’s not.

That’s your new stan angle :ohlawd:

Stellar Blade is not a sony game. It’s a money hat that will 100% end up on PC and elsewhere.

Astrobot??? :mjlol:
But it’s an exclusive game, that you can only play on the PlayStation. Therefore you currently need a PlayStation to play it

Money hat? Spending 100b is cool, but publishing Stellar Blade is a Money hat

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All the ones that are worth it are, or coming soon.

Don’t nobody want Destruction All Stars :mjlol:
Sure if your idea is waiting two or more years for a game to release on PC to say the console isn’t needed have at it. I want to play games on release, not years later. Nobody who enjoyed an exclusive two years ago cares if it gets released elsewhere it fulfilled its exclusivity. Too many games coming out right? Why wait and get overwhelmed.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Sure if your idea is waiting two or more years for a game to release on PC to say the console isn’t needed have at it. I want to play games on release, not years later. Nobody who enjoyed an exclusive two years ago cares if it gets released elsewhere it fulfilled its exclusivity. Too many games coming out right? Why wait and get overwhelmed.
I know, sony stan’s ain’t some “waiting ass nikkas”

So xbox ports might as well not even exist. Why yall talk about them so much?? :wow:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
But it’s an exclusive game, that you can only play on the PlayStation. Therefore you currently need a PlayStation to play it

Money hat? Spending 100b is cool, but publishing Stellar Blade is a Money hat

Xbox has timed exclusive indie games as well.

Y’all nikkas crazy :mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Old ass xbox games going to playstation = Xbox is 3rd party and you don’t need an xbox to play xbox games.

Old ass playstation games coming to PC = We ain’t no waiting ass nikkas we play games day one.

Sony stan’s :mjlol: