2023 Academy Award nominations

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
God I hated Empire of Light so much. I'm tired of those "racism bad, friendship good" Oscar bait movies. Armageddon Time falls into this category too, but that movie was less clumsy about it.

Didn't like Bardo, but I never like Iniarritu so that isn't surprising. Sundown was fine, but I feel like it got overshadowed by Aftersun, a better white-man-depressed-on-vacation movie.

The cinematography was sick, and the love letter to movies (yeah yeah) but clumsy movie, for sure. Armageddon Time was fine too. Sundown, such a surprising movie experience, the setting was realistic and haunting, I have never seen Mexico violence shown in such a realistic manner.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'll give you The Shape of Water.
And to be fair Green Book is somewhat overrated as a movie.

It doesn't really beat anything else. Even Crash ...ok shyt I can't defend Crash too much. But at least Crashed TRIED to take on a serious issue.

That's a terrible take. First of all, EEAAO did take on a serious issue. Second, trying to be serious and turning out lame is far worse than openly being goofy and still coming off profound. Crash was pure Oscar bait with a stupid message. EEAAO did everything possible not to be Oscar bait yet won anyway.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's a terrible take. First of all, EEAAO did take on a serious issue. Second, trying to be serious and turning out lame is far worse than openly being goofy and still coming off profound. Crash was pure Oscar bait with a stupid message. EEAAO did everything possible not to be Oscar bait yet won anyway.
All Quiet on the Western Front will go on as one of the best war movies of all time. They were robbed.

EEAAO is a corny movie with fancy special effects that had no business even being in the Best Picture category but won because of the Ke Huy Quan comeback narrative and the push to celebrate Asians/women/diversity/whatever.

Even if people want to pick on my claim and it might beat 3 or 4 other Best Picture winners from the last 40 years, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s historically one of the worst movies to win the award in a long time.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
All Quiet on the Western Front will go on as one of the best war movies of all time. They were robbed.

EEAAO is a corny movie with fancy special effects that had no business even being in the Best Picture category but won because of the Ke Huy Quan comeback narrative and the push to celebrate Asians/women/diversity/whatever.

Even if people want to pick on my claim and it might beat 3 or 4 other Best Picture winners from the last 40 years, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s historically one of the worst movies to win the award in a long time.

Nah. The Coli reactions were wild good when it came out and I saw it with my friend in the theaters on the strength of those, liked it so much I took my wife back to see it the next night. You can't rewrite history and make it out like they didn't do something special there.

All Quiet on the Western Front won more Oscars than any German-language film in history. And low-key in Germany it's seen as just superficial, inauthentic Oscar bait.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The choreography is better than the song

Yeah, kinda goofy that it won best song when the song sucks ass musically. It literally won for the dancing. I'm sure it wasn't even a top-10 song in an Indian film this year.

Indian music can be dope, "Naatu Naatu" just wasn't it.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
but then we'll watch it and be like 'nope that was good' :heh:

on the flip side:

The English Patient’ (1996)​

Total Oscar Nominations: 12

Wins: 9

when was the last time you watched that shyt?

how about this:

Chicago (2002) - 13 (won 6)
La La Land (2016) - 14 (won 6)
The Shape of Water (2017) - 13 (won 4)

EEAAO is WAY better than those 3
I don't remember anyone actually liking The Shape of Water.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:Why was that black bytch with the wedding dress eyeing Johnathan Major's so tough? Somebody should make a gif of that shyt.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

No it won't. There's nothing new or revolutionary about it. The only memorable thing about that movie is the score. Other than that it's typical forgettable Oscar bait.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Forrest Gump is a classic and the only reason....the only reason I could let you trash it is if you posted this pic:

wpOf6Mk.jpg
Dave was supposed to play Bubba...