2023 Academy Award nominations

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No it won't. There's nothing new or revolutionary about it. The only memorable thing about that movie is the score. Other than that it's typical forgettable Oscar bait.
I don’t even know what movie you were watching

:picard:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
The cinematography was sick, and the love letter to movies (yeah yeah) but clumsy movie, for sure. Armageddon Time was fine too. Sundown, such a surprising movie experience, the setting was realistic and haunting, I have never seen Mexico violence shown in such a realistic manner.
I'm surprised Sundown didn't get any love from the industry. I really loved that movie. Hardly any one saw it though. These awards are starting to be irrelevant. The voters don't even watch movies.
All Quiet on the Western Front will go on as one of the best war movies of all time. They were robbed.

EEAAO is a corny movie with fancy special effects that had no business even being in the Best Picture category but won because of the Ke Huy Quan comeback narrative and the push to celebrate Asians/women/diversity/whatever.

Even if people want to pick on my claim and it might beat 3 or 4 other Best Picture winners from the last 40 years, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s historically one of the worst movies to win the award in a long time.
All Quiet on the Western Front is another white man push for the good old days look how great we were narrative. See how that works? You think anything non-white that wins is pandering or token diversity. Well that works both ways. You could also say that any time a white film, director or actor wins it's because the academy is pandering to the traditionalist crowd who long for the good old days when white was standard.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm surprised Sundown didn't get any love from the industry. I really loved that movie. Hardly any one saw it though. These awards are starting to be irrelevant. The voters don't even watch movies.

All Quiet on the Western Front is another white man push for the good old days look how great we were narrative. See how that works? You think anything non-white that wins is pandering or token diversity. Well that works both ways. You could also say that any time a white film, director or actor wins it's because the academy is pandering to the traditionalist crowd who long for the good old days when white was standard.
Um, it was about the losers of the war.

:gucci:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I take it you never read the book, or saw the one damn near 100 years old.
I’m not judging the book or the old movie.

Just like Tom Hanks version of A Man Called Otto doesn’t completely reflect its book (A Man Called Ove) or the Swedish movie that came before it.

You’d have to be a complete dumb ass to have seen All Quiet on the Western Front last year and thought “this really reflects greatly on the Germans”

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I’m not judging the book or the old movie.

Just like Tom Hanks version of A Man Called Otto doesn’t completely reflect its book (A Man Called Ove) or the Swedish movie that came before it.

You’d have to be a complete dumb ass to have seen All Quiet on the Western Front last year and thought “this really reflects greatly on the Germans”

Nazi Germany agreed, that's why they banned the book when Hitler was in power.

A major theme of the novel (besides blind nationalism, hence Hitler banning it) is that soldiers who go to war and survive are forever changed by the horrors of it. In the book Paul returns home in between battles and is alienated by or can't relate to pretty much everyone he comes across. It's a major part of the book because Paul realizes if you don't have a place you can feel at home then what the fukk do you even fight for. But for whatever reason the director swapped it out for the armistice negotiation, which isn't in the book at all.

I get why he did that, to make Paul's death feel even more tragic and pointless when it happens. But I think he lost in that trade-off.