2023-24 Contract Season: Odyssey Jones removed from WWE TV/online roster over domestic abuse allegations; Gisele Shaw granted release from TNA

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
We're saying the same thing. Fans will tune in weekly for Edge and Sasha Banks.
Adam Copeland & Mercedes? Not so much.
Fans don't want wrestlers, they want characters that they know & care about.

Lol it’s insane that this post makes so much sense when it shouldn’t

:heh:

It’s like failed tv spin offs. People might love Joey from friends. He could be their absolute favorite character and the sole reason they even watch the show.. but once you take him off Friends and plug him around an entirely new cast of characters, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be magic and hold the same amount of interest from the public.

You might be the same goofball character that we loved on one show, but everything surrounding you isn’t something we’re interested in watching

Wrestling can’t escape the basic rules of television lol.. some spin offs might work better than the thing it came from, but a lot of them won’t. While we loved watching Sasha play off Charlotte and Bayley, tagging with Naomi etc. in the confines of the WWE sphere, that doesn’t mean we’re immediately gonna run to see her play off Willow and some other women most people never heard of

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Yeah, but that second hour segment didn't even draw 800K.

She has 2.5 million Twitter followers and 6.4 million Instagram followers. If even just like 10-15% of her Twitter followers tuned in for her segments, she'd be doing a million+ quarters. She has had a negligible effect on ratings on every episode after her debut.

Her "fans" just don't give a shyt about her outside of WWE. And that's pretty much been the case for every ex-WWE guy other than CM Punk, and his drawing effect was becoming increasingly less the longer he stayed.

All these ex-WWE talents built up their fanbase largely on WWE fans who simply just don't care if any wrestling exists outside of the WWE universe.

She did the best numbers in a segment that wasn't even advertised :dead:

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
If people like

Mercedes
Okada
Osprey
Copeland

Are not needle movers

Than Becky wouldn’t be one either :manny:

Okada and Ospreay were never gonna be needle movers, the type of people who see them as big deals were already watching AEW in the first place

that's not even a diss to those 2 guys, it's just the reality of the situation. AEW is a secondary niche brand in a niche "sport", adding 2 of the biggest stars from an even more niche product just doesn't give them the possibility of a lot of new eyeballs on the product.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
So.... there are people somewhere out there that believe Becky Lynch is leaving? Is that what you're saying? .
Hell yeah lol. Twitter especially, but them nikkas might be bots

I know yall hate when we bring up twitter but truthfully Twitter drives wrestling discourse online currently, whether we wanna accept it or not

:sadcam:

Our precious message boards are ancient civilizations at this point

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
If people like

Mercedes
Okada
Osprey
Copeland

Are not needle movers

Than Becky wouldn’t be one either :manny:

I'm not attacking you but I'm going to tell a quick story... when Hulk Hogan himself, biggest wrestling star of all time back then... came to WCW they had a record gate/PPV buys for Bash at the Beach.

Fast forward not even 6 months later and WCW was in the toilet. They still had Hogan, they had Flair, Sting, and they brought over Macho Man as well.

It wasn't until the nWo angle (after Hall/Nash arrival) that they really started to take advantage of their star power. It took 2 years after they signed Hogan to reach and surpass those initial heights.

My point here is that nobody by themselves is changing anything until creative/booking catches fire with casual audiences and that might not ever happen.

That said, I still think they are doing well enough to get a TV rights increase. We'll see..

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
I'm not attacking you but I'm going to tell a quick story... when Hulk Hogan himself, biggest wrestling star of all time back then... came to WCW they had a record gate/PPV buys for Bash at the Beach.

Fast forward not even 6 months later and WCW was in the toilet. They still had Hogan, they had Flair, Sting, and they brought over Macho Man as well.

It wasn't until the nWo angle (after Hall/Nash arrival) that they really started to take advantage of their star power. It took 2 years after they signed Hogan to reach and surpass those initial heights.

My point here is that nobody by themself is changing anything until creative/booking catches fire with casual audiences and that might not ever happen.

That said, I still think they are doing well enough to get a TV rights increase. We'll see..
I get it

And that’s the main thing

Tony would bring someone in with name value

They’ll be hot for a bit then cool off after a while and why because of no creative or shyt booking

I don’t want Becky to fall into that category where she doesn’t bring the numbers then you’ll have people she wasn’t worth it or the other side saying she’s a traitor & overrated

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I haven't seen this anywhere, if this has been posted my bad.

-Danielson's deal expires before Wembley. He says wrestling there is the one thing out of his checklist he wants to do (meaning, he'll do the "work without a contract" bit if necessary).

-He also says he interested in making it to WrestleDream at the Tacoma Dome in his home state but "doesn't know" if he'll be able to make it (meaning, he needs Brie's approval :heh:)

-He was very non committal to the Nigel match at Wembley because of "too high expectations from fans" but then he kinda laughs it off when told he tends to meet or surpass expectations and he wont have to close the show or anything like that.

-This dude is always changing his mind but at least from when this interview was done (the Vancouver show) he was of the mindset of working in a backstage role for AEW.

The full interview (the link starts when he talks about his contract and Wembley)