2022 MLB Off-Season Hot Stove thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That was Game 4 of the 1977 World Series vs the Yankees.

The Yankees won that game 4-2.
Time of game: 2:07

What a time to be alive.

:wow:

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I like that idea. :ehh:

I could get behind turning stealing home into the baseball version of the 3 point shot. It's an exciting play and it's risky. It probably also cuts down on strikeouts because now you want to make sure you get on base. You'll get more speed and contact guys, instead of people striking out 3 times a game.

Rickey Henderson probably wins a few more MVPs if they had that back in his day.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A week or two ago, Manny Machado announced that he was going to opt out of his contract with the Padres. It was a strange move because there weren't many teams that would offer him big money. The Yankees would have made sense. Possibly the Giants. The Dodgers have a young Miguel Vargas so that seemed unlikely. But teams like the Red Sox, Cubs and Mets would have either been bad teams, or wouldn't have the money.

Turns out he signed an extension with the Padres. This is good for Machado. Probably bad for the Padres in my opinion. To me it sounds very similar to when A-Rod re-upped with the Yankees in the late 2000s...even though nobody else was a factor to take him. So I think the Padres effectively outbid themselves. The good news is that for the immediate future, the Padres will be WS contenders. The bad news is that they're going to regret that contract in 4 years.

The bad news is that for the Yankees, they're going to have to get creative at 3B. There's no good 3B prospect in their farm system. And there are no good third basemen coming out in free agency in the next two years. The best one will be Alex Bregman...who will be 30 years old in 2025 when he's eligible. Maybe the Yankees don't need an elite 3B to win a championship. They never really had one during their championship years. But they're going to have to find someone to play there and fast.

• Dap
Reactions: Rev