2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
You're saying we didn't have a chance with a GOP president with poor ratings and we also don't have a chance with a Dem president with high or low ratings.

Let's remember, when this thread was created Biden was polling in the mid to upper 50s. :comeon:
The President normally loses seats in his first midterm.

The Dems went 8 years out of the majority. That’s why in 2017, I was really skeptical with how bad the gerrymanders were in 2011.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I just don't get it. For a year and a half we've all witnessed the house operate in good faith and put forward and wide array of legislation that can be seen as activist to down right negotiating against itself to get centrist like Manchin and Sinema on board.

Now I'm being told that I'm supposed to be unhappy with their performance because it didn't end up as a law.

Mind you, this is on the heels of months of rhetoric from these guys saying the house progressive caucus should have tanked BIF because no bill is better than a compromise.

Mind you, none of this is surprising to me because as my progressive brothers have pointed out time and time again -- I maintain a cynical view of the American voter.:manny:

I'm late to all this. Judging from the last page I've read, I think I'm with you on the fact that the legislators in the House can't really be criticized for failing to pass legislation when they've repeatedly done just that. The problem is a complete refusal from the same couple of legislators in the Senate to make anything happen. The House has a duty to keep trying to get things passed. Plus the bills passed today can be models for what they push next session and beyond up until getting it passed IS plausible.

But is the bolded really a position people are taking? I think the game of chicken over BIF could have gone longer. So in theory, they shoulda threatened to tank BIF for a longer period time. I don't think it's passing changed any electoral fortunes and it's not like passing BIF gave them time to add any further accomplishments because nothing's gotten through since. So I'd have continued refusing to vote for BIF until they got more than a (later to be broken) promise to pass the more progressive stuff at a later date.

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The President normally loses seats in his first midterm.

The Dems went 8 years out of the majority. That’s why in 2017, I was really skeptical with how bad the gerrymanders were in 2011.
That's fair. I think most people expect a loss of seats. It's been the norm for as long as I can remember.

I'm interested to see if it continues to hold or break the trend during this era of hyper polarization and to what extent.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I'm late to all this. Judging from the last page I've read, I think I'm with you on the fact that the legislators in the House can't really be criticized for failing to pass legislation when they've repeatedly done just that. The problem is a complete refusal from the same couple of legislators in the Senate to make anything happen. The House has a duty to keep trying to get things passed. Plus the bills passed today can be models for what they push next session and beyond up until getting it passed IS plausible.

But is the bolded really a position people are taking? I think the game of chicken over BIF could have gone longer. So in theory, they shoulda threatened to tank BIF for a longer period time. I don't think it's passing changed any electoral fortunes and it's not like passing BIF gave them time to add any further accomplishments because nothing's gotten through since. So I'd have continued refusing to vote for BIF until they got more than a (later to be broken) promise to pass the more progressive stuff at a later date.
I'm completely agree with this entire post. I don't think it would have been harmful to take more time with it, but ultimately the white house fell into media and polling pressure to get something done.

I don't fault them for that, but I think it's a gross negligence to not take up any of those initiatives even piece by piece. Obviously they aren't because the filibuster gives them and Republicans cover from even having to entertain policies they say they want with a vote.

And no I don't think anyone in congress way saying the bold which is why it didn't happen, but it was definitely part of the punditry.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
That's fair. I think most people expect a loss of seats. It's been the norm for as long as I can remember.

I'm interested to see if it continues to hold or break the trend during this era of hyper polarization and to what extent.
It will hold as long as there is split government. Biden just has a unique fukked up fortunate on inflation and a pending recession combined with disaffected young people. He was always going to lose seats, but the number may be massive which isn’t what I expected.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
nikkas said Texas was turning purple :mjpls: what happened :mjpls:

I said a long time ago that this was :duck: and wasn't going to happen

The thing people on the left fail to understand is that, generally, Hispanic voters will increasingly consider themselves white and vote accordingly.

We've seen the same thing happen with other ethnic groups, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
You've previously supported this position which I think is fair:

So now I'm trying to understand why you think house members aren't meeting the standards of job, by fulfilling their duties by crafting and supporting the legislation they ran on?

Do we no longer believe in speaking truth to power? Making principled votes?

Or are you now suggesting it's all for show and Worthless if legislation isn't passed and we should therefore look to vote out people who support policies we support merely because someone in the senate blocked it?
The problem here is I didn’t shyt on the House for passing bills that won’t make it into law.

I said I am not praising them, which you seem fine with. It’s the first sentence in the post. :skip:

Man out here windmilling so hard now that he misunderstanding posts and claiming a victory because of a dap. :bryan:

like I said earlier, we laughed at the GOP for passing ACA bills they knew had no chance of passing the senate. I’m not gonna laugh at House Dems, but they don’t deserve any praise either.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I said a long time ago that this was :duck: and wasn't going to happen

The thing people on the left fail to understand is that, generally, Hispanic voters will increasingly consider themselves white and vote accordingly.

We've seen the same thing happen with other ethnic groups, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

The GOP has been smart enough to invest in outreach to specific, targeted Hispanic areas. The Democratic party has somehow managed to fail at this. Progressives have done a lot better in terms of outreach to Spanish speaking localities. But the GOP has resources and is willing to fight these battles at the margins. The Democrats seem to forego a lot of these fights under assumptions that it's a no-win battle. I think progressive in-roads with those communities show that it's a false assumption.

Edit: Forgot to include this link to an example of what I mean too

The RNC community center model is the latest attempt by Republicans to court nonwhite voters, who have long eschewed the party and been demonized by its leading representatives. But 2020’s frenzied election returns suggested an opportunity. Joe Biden’s share of votes from Latinos decreased by eight percentage points compared to Hillary Clinton’s, according to a report from the progressive data utility Catalist. As Vox reported, this marked the “most dramatic shift in a four-year period among the major racial or ethnic groups seen.” The movement was stunning in areas like South Texas, where five heavily Latino counties flipped to Donald Trump.

Biden’s vote share of Black Americans also decreased by three points, and the GOP overperformed with Asian Americans and Native Americans as well. It was something less than a breakthrough with nonwhite voters; Republicans losing Asian Americans by a 27 percent margin exhibited their best performance with any major racial minority bloc. But given the huge turnout increase in 2020, in raw numbers, Republicans put up vote totals that once would’ve seemed impossible even to the Pollyannaish.

The community centers were established to bore the opening further, making the appeal directly to racial minorities inside their communities, with an extremely offline, grassroots offering. This wasn’t a soft sell: The centers beckon potential voters with everything from movie nights to free dinners to holiday parties to gun safety trainings, thrown by local organizers and paid for by your friends at the RNC, which has dedicated millions of dollars to the program. If those tactics sound familiar, that’s because they were once used to great effect, by groups as varied as the Black Panthers in Oakland or Democrats in New York’s Tammany Hall.

Many of these facilities are set up in places like Florida and Texas, where Republicans are already assured victory statewide and, thanks to vicious gerrymanders, in most congressional districts. But they’re also in places where the party aspires only to shrink the drastic margins by which they’re losing, places like Philadelphia. Performing better with minorities is an existential matter for Republicans, who cannot win popular elections in an increasingly nonwhite country if they don’t improve with these groups.

The Robeson County center, the RNC’s only outpost in North Carolina, is neither. Republicans flipped long-blue Robeson County to red with Trump on the ticket, but now face a much more onerous task of getting its residents to vote for replacement-level Republicans in off years. Democrats, meanwhile, believed they would win statewide in North Carolina in 2020, in both the presidential election and the Senate, only to come up, in both cases, less than 100,000 votes short; they’re back at it this year to contest for another Senate vacancy.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The Democrats seem to forego a lot of these fights under assumptions that it's a no-win battle. I think progressive in-roads with those communities show that it's a false assumption.
I made a post in here a few months ago about this. The DNC and many people on here think large swaths of Americans are unreachable and shouldn’t be talked too. Its such a stupid strategy that sounds like some squares from Capitol Hill who don't cross the Anacostia River or go on the black side of uptown in DC, yet so many believe it is the right way.

Luke Mayville was on This is Revolution a year ago talking about how he was able to organize for education and medicare expansion in Idaho.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The GOP has been smart enough to invest in outreach to specific, targeted Hispanic areas. The Democratic party has somehow managed to fail at this. Progressives have done a lot better in terms of outreach to Spanish speaking localities. But the GOP has resources and is willing to fight these battles at the margins. The Democrats seem to forego a lot of these fights under assumptions that it's a no-win battle. I think progressive in-roads with those communities show that it's a false assumption.

Edit: Forgot to include this link to an example of what I mean too
I was going to post this before I went down the other rabbit hole, but I saw an add in my condo today for a Latinos vs Law enforcement softball tournament.

Liberal groups should do more of this.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I was going to post this before I went down the other rabbit hole, but I saw an add in my condo today for a Latinos vs Law enforcement softball tournament.

Liberal groups should do more of this.

It's genuinely effective and can be helpful in both directions.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
If the House flips in November, what happens to bills that were passed by the current House but are sitting in the Senate? Do they get sent back to the House in the next Congress? @FAH1223

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
If the House flips in November, what happens to bills that were passed by the current House but are sitting in the Senate? Do they get sent back to the House in the next Congress? @FAH1223
Nope. New session in January starts everything all over again

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The problem here is I didn’t shyt on the House for passing bills that won’t make it into law.

I said I am not praising them, which you seem fine with. It’s the first sentence in the post. :skip:

Man out here windmilling so hard now that he misunderstanding posts and claiming a victory because of a dap. :bryan:

like I said earlier, we laughed at the GOP for passing ACA bills they knew had no chance of passing the senate. I’m not gonna laugh at House Dems, but they don’t deserve any praise either.
You piggy backed on a conversation that was shytting on the house as deserving of criticism because the senate hasn't brought the good bills they've passed up for a vote.

I know you want to make me the bad guy all the time but, :Okayjack: