2020/End of Gen controversial opinions thread

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I wouldn't even give it that. Tales, FF7R, Trails.... Its not better than a lot of shyt
To each their own, but... Zestiria and Berseria were both easily worse games than P5. Them together as a package is still worse.

Also, by what I said, FF7R and Tales would count as action RPGs anyways, so... :yeshrug:

Seems like a dumb distinction to make, but without it... technically everything from From, Nioh and Nier would count as JRPGs. Muddies the water pretty badly at that point

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
what do you think it did really well? not trying to troll or argue with you

• Gameplay
    • The gameplay is extremely smooth (especially compared to previous titles)
    • The jump-jets are a much included feature to the franchise that honestly didn't make sense to not have in the first place
    • The Nomad is great for cruising around planets
    • Being able to profile switch on the fly allows for a larger variety in gameplay
  • Story
    • Love the coming to age story set for your Ryder
    • I like how personable your crew is, everyone feels like their own person with their own personality
    • The Angara really fascinate me even before I found our their Origin.
      • The difference cultures and opinions of the Angara based on what planet their from.
    • How technically advanced the Jaardan are
    • What Happened to the Jaardan
    • What can we do to clean up the Scurge
    • How far does the Kett Empire reign in the Andromeda Galaxy
      • We can actually lean a lot about their structure in the game
    • Just the whole mystery to being in a foreign galaxy.
    • I need to know what happened to Jian Garson and the Initiatives Benefactor

It's a lot that I like or that intrigued me with the game. It's my most enjoyable Mass Effect game without question.

The only thing I would really change about the game is how many people they brought with them. 20k isn't enough, but maybe those questions will be answered. It seems like the Andromeda move wasn't meant to be permanent based on the Benefactor.

I know I'm all over the place, but I can't rally get my thoughts right right now.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
To each their own, but... Zestiria and Berseria were both easily worse games than P5. Them together as a package is still worse.

Also, by what I said, FF7R and Tales would count as action RPGs anyways, so... :yeshrug:

Seems like a dumb distinction to make, but without it... technically everything from From, Nioh and Nier would count as JRPGs. Muddies the water pretty badly at that point
P5 is probably the worst Persona game in long, long time.

They basically took a high quality dating sim and visual novel's art and slapped it on Pokemon. The dungeon system is atrocious in that the developers know that you'll essentially have to force your way through the rock/paper/scissors battles to figure out what monsters have what - so what's stopping you after that? Resources. The only thing stopping you from running through these braindead dungeons isn't the battles, puzzles, or fleshed out gameplay... its how far you can go with your health and mana on a single run. And if that wasn't enough, they timegate progress at every turn.

That's a thoughtless, purposefully inflated take on game design and there's no other way to describe it. And the only way they get away with it is by having some of the best art and music in the genre. If it was anything less, people would be losing their shyt at how you're forced to sit on your hands for an extra hour listening to circular dialogue when you just want to go knock off a miniboss and move on.

And the battle system is straight up bad too. The only difficulty is dealing with the initial lack of information on an enemy and surviving in that uncertainty until you know weaknesses/strengths. That's it.

Turn based? The Trails of Cold Steel games run circles around it

Its as braindead as it gets for a JRPG but its sauced the fukk up with style. And the story? :mjlol: Worst of the entire series

Turn based? The Trails games run circles around it.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
P5 is probably the worst Persona game in long, long time.

They basically took a high quality dating sim and visual novel's art and slapped it on Pokemon. The dungeon system is atrocious in that the developers know that you'll essentially have to force your way through the rock/paper/scissors battles to figure out what monsters have what - so what's stopping you after that? Resources. The only thing stopping you from running through these braindead dungeons isn't the battles, puzzles, or fleshed out gameplay... its how far you can go with your health and mana on a single run. And if that wasn't enough, they timegate progress at every turn.

That's a thoughtless, purposefully inflated take on game design and there's no other way to describe it. And the only way they get away with it is by having some of the best art and music in the genre. If it was anything less, people would be losing their shyt at how you're forced to sit on your hands for an extra hour listening to circular dialogue when you just want to go knock off a miniboss and move on.

And the battle system is straight up bad too. The only difficulty is dealing with the initial lack of information on an enemy and surviving in that uncertainty until you know weaknesses/strengths. That's it.

Turn based? The Trails of Cold Steel games run circles around it

Its as braindead as it gets for a JRPG but its sauced the fukk up with style. And the story? :mjlol: Worst of the entire series

Turn based? The Trails games run circles around it.
@moderator

:ban:

:mjlol:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Breath of The Wild is boring as fukk and nowhere near as good as y'all hype it up to be, only Zelda game I never finished cause it puts me to sleep everytime.

Switch is a criminally underrated console, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Octopath Traveler are great games, especially IMO the latter can't tell you how much I enjoy that game. I agree with old boy who said Switch is the best thing Nintendo put out since SNES, Switch is pretty clearly a top 3 Nintendo Console along with the SNES and the DS. Those 3 are clearly sitting at the top of the pack if the Switch had a longer lifespan I would argue that it is without a doubt the GOAT Nintendo console, but Switch 2 is coming soon so it will have to stay in debate in Top 3.

PS4>>>>>>PS3 by a wide margin

Xbox 360 even with the red rings of death bullshyt >>>>> Xbox One and it aint even close, Gamepass is cool, but it really isn't enough to buy this console IMO, it has potential for the future if Microsoft can get some more games on there that aint Indy's which is what carries it right now.

Fortnite is trash, Apex is trash, Overwatch is trash, PUBG is trash, they all fukking suck.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I'll be the one to say it, FF7 Remake > the original and I'm a FF Stan since I was a kid I played 7 the day it released. The story seems convoluted now with the ghosts and shyt, but they are doing this because they are about to(already on small things and the romance) allow you to pick how certain parts of the narrative play out I believe while keeping you on the same overall story. But I have been replaying the original on Switch, and trying to platinum the Remake, and man the pacing of the story hell the whole game does feel VERY RUSHED in the original.

In the original Wedge, Biggs, and Jessie had no backstory really, there was no reason to care about them. There was no reason to care about Marlene, there was no reason to care about Johnny, there really was no reason to care about Midgar, because in the original when you leave Midgar you only come back once for a brief sequence(which is another thing I hope they change with this remake).

The original feels very rushed, and honestly as much as I used to love turn based RPGs like this, 7's turn based system is very bland and vanilla compared to like Persona 5 or something of that nature. I like the combat in FF7 Remake, if you look at 13 and then 15 this is the direction they are trying to go with the combat, and this is a big step in the right direction to perfecting it, albeit the remake's combat isn't exactly perfect some characters it feels too light and other's far too weighted, it still more than passes the test.

I'm doing my hard mode run now and every single boss on hard mode on the Remake is a CERTIFIED fukkING FADE! Cloud's 1 v 1 fade's are the truth. Cloud vs Roche, Cloud vs Reno, I can't wait to get to Rufus that's like a certified championship level fade:wow:. Every boss in this game is fun as hell on hard mode. This game has the best put together boss battles of any Final Fantasy game, they are prolonged battles yes, but you have to stay engaged in the battle or you will get washed, try to just bulldoze your way through and see what happens you have to prepare and you have to actively use your abilities. People bytched about the combat in 12, when this is literally a very corrected and near perfected version of that :heh:, this shyt is basically 12s combat, but you have to a actually input all the commands instead of putting them in a gambit, and going through the menu for an odd out ability you may need to use, and you also have to be aware of your surroundings and block on your own, but this was essentially what 12 was trying to do with they combat, but they kept it entirely too turn based so it came off really slow, when it should of been an action game. This game actually makes you play it, and I like it. Square is on to one here with this one.

Last edited:

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
  • Mass Effect Andromeda was my favorite game this generation.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 controls make the game unenjoyable.
  • The Last of US 2 is a great game
  • Gamers whine too damn much.

making me want to redownload ME:A from my purchased games and restart / finish it :patrice:

Drizzy Dre

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked Battlefield Hardline and The Order 1886. Also felt that Gears 5 was underrated.

IgnorantDwayneWayne

NC Pleighboy
Daps
Spider-Man is repetitive as fukk. Like damn all this hype but who really enjoyed anything outside of the story missions + battle 15 thugs on a roof missions.

im glad y’all nikkas get finessed out ya bread every year for madden/2k.

Overwatch is better than your favorite shooter. All time too bruh not just this gen.

Most indies are trash.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breath of The Wild is boring as fukk and nowhere near as good as y'all hype it up to be, only Zelda game I never finished cause it puts me to sleep everytime.

Switch is a criminally underrated console, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Octopath Traveler are great games, especially IMO the latter can't tell you how much I enjoy that game. I agree with old boy who said Switch is the best thing Nintendo put out since SNES, Switch is pretty clearly a top 3 Nintendo Console along with the SNES and the DS. Those 3 are clearly sitting at the top of the pack if the Switch had a longer lifespan I would argue that it is without a doubt the GOAT Nintendo console, but Switch 2 is coming soon so it will have to stay in debate in Top 3.

PS4>>>>>>PS3 by a wide margin

Xbox 360 even with the red rings of death bullshyt >>>>> Xbox One and it aint even close, Gamepass is cool, but it really isn't enough to buy this console IMO, it has
potential for the future if Microsoft can get some more games on there that aint Indy's which is what carries it right now.

Fortnite is trash, Apex is trash, Overwatch is trash, PUBG is trash, they all fukking suck.

these aren’t controversial in the slightest lol