2020/End of Gen controversial opinions thread

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
making me want to redownload ME:A from my purchased games and restart / finish it :patrice:

ya I didn’t even realize I owned it lol

must’ve been on sale for the low and I picked it up

dude’s description has me wanting to check it out tho

• Gameplay
    • The gameplay is extremely smooth (especially compared to previous titles)
    • The jump-jets are a much included feature to the franchise that honestly didn't make sense to not have in the first place
    • The Nomad is great for cruising around planets
    • Being able to profile switch on the fly allows for a larger variety in gameplay
  • Story
    • Love the coming to age story set for your Ryder
    • I like how personable your crew is, everyone feels like their own person with their own personality
    • The Angara really fascinate me even before I found our their Origin.
      • The difference cultures and opinions of the Angara based on what planet their from.
    • How technically advanced the Jaardan are
    • What Happened to the Jaardan
    • What can we do to clean up the Scurge
    • How far does the Kett Empire reign in the Andromeda Galaxy
      • We can actually lean a lot about their structure in the game
    • Just the whole mystery to being in a foreign galaxy.
    • I need to know what happened to Jian Garson and the Initiatives Benefactor

It's a lot that I like or that intrigued me with the game. It's my most enjoyable Mass Effect game without question.

The only thing I would really change about the game is how many people they brought with them. 20k isn't enough, but maybe those questions will be answered. It seems like the Andromeda move wasn't meant to be permanent based on the Benefactor.

I know I'm all over the place, but I can't rally get my thoughts right right now.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
making me want to redownload ME:A from my purchased games and restart / finish it :patrice:

Yea. I went in not having played the original series. All of it was new to me. Easily the best gameplay and I loved the story. The characters actually have personality and aren’t just stoic soldiers.

I honestly feel sorry for people who compare the game to the original series. It’s not meant to be anything like it. They set themselves up to be disappointed.

I literally never know what people are talking about when they say the story doesn’t make sense or it’s poorly written. Everything is clear cut for me.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Yea. I went in not having played the original series. All of it was new to me. Easily the best gameplay and I loved the story. The characters actually have personality and aren’t just stoic soldiers.

I honestly feel sorry for people who compare the game to the original series. It’s not meant to be anything like it. They set themselves up to be disappointed.

I literally never know what people are talking about when they say the story doesn’t make sense or it’s poorly written. Everything is clear cut for me.
expose yourself brehs

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
How did I expose myself. I played the original series right after I played Andromeda. You know that.
Being wrong and unable to process quality are two different things :francis: andromeda is so bad that you literally can't even comprehend something good when you see it

that's how bad andromeda is

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Switch is a criminally underrated console, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Octopath Traveler are great games, especially IMO the latter can't tell you how much I enjoy that game. I agree with old boy who said Switch is the best thing Nintendo put out since SNES, Switch is pretty clearly a top 3 Nintendo Console along with the SNES and the DS. Those 3 are clearly sitting at the top of the pack if the Switch had a longer lifespan I would argue that it is without a doubt the GOAT Nintendo console, but Switch 2 is coming soon so it will have to stay in debate in Top 3.

In the switch's current state, nah. GCN has less games but a better selection of games, especially 1st party and better RPGs.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Being wrong and unable to process quality are two different things :francis: andromeda is so bad that you literally can't even comprehend something good when you see it

that's how bad andromeda is

Cap.

Honestly we’ve already had this discussion. No need to have it anymore. I never said the original series was bad. At least I don’t think I did. I said I enjoyed Andromeda much better than any other Mass Effect game.

But now that I’m on it. Mass Effect 1 is damn near unplayable as a game. Story doesn’t mean anything to me, if the game plays like crap.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
I actually thourougly enjoyed ME3, was one of my favorite games and I didn't care about the ending bc I never played 1 or 2

Think I got Andromeda for like $9 on sale when I had regular ps4. Want to replay it on the pro in 4 k..Im gonna be an a$$hole in the story this time lol...on sith time

tgu

Pro
Daps
  • Gameplay
    • The gameplay is extremely smooth (especially compared to previous titles)
    • The jump-jets are a much included feature to the franchise that honestly didn't make sense to not have in the first place
    • The Nomad is great for cruising around planets
    • Being able to profile switch on the fly allows for a larger variety in gameplay
  • Story
    • Love the coming to age story set for your Ryder
    • I like how personable your crew is, everyone feels like their own person with their own personality
    • The Angara really fascinate me even before I found our their Origin.
      • The difference cultures and opinions of the Angara based on what planet their from.
    • How technically advanced the Jaardan are
    • What Happened to the Jaardan
    • What can we do to clean up the Scurge
    • How far does the Kett Empire reign in the Andromeda Galaxy
      • We can actually lean a lot about their structure in the game
    • Just the whole mystery to being in a foreign galaxy.
    • I need to know what happened to Jian Garson and the Initiatives Benefactor
It's a lot that I like or that intrigued me with the game. It's my most enjoyable Mass Effect game without question.

The only thing I would really change about the game is how many people they brought with them. 20k isn't enough, but maybe those questions will be answered. It seems like the Andromeda move wasn't meant to be permanent based on the Benefactor.

I know I'm all over the place, but I can't rally get my thoughts right right now.
I’m not on the wave that andromeda was terrible, as I played it after it was patched so I didn’t run into any technical issues. I do think it’s the worst in the series however. The story wasn’t bad, but it never reached the same heights as the original and making you care for the characters. It all felt generic. This may partly be due to the gameplay change.

The gameplay is definitely smoother due to the jet pack booster and the ability to be more mobile. However, the biggest change is not being in direct control of your squad mates powers. This was a huge mistake to me. They tried to make up for it by not having your character be locked down to a specific class like sentinel or vanguard. Due to this, you could make a character that could handle any enemy and made your squad mates feel like they didn’t need to be there.

In the original trilogy, depending on your class, you had to choose certain squad mates to complement your ability which made you care about them more when it came to decisions about who would die and who would survive. In andromeda, I didn’t give a fukk about any of my squad mates lol, they were just there. And since I couldn’t control their powers, I was just reliant on the AI to make the right decision.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I’m not on the wave that andromeda was terrible, as I played it after it was patched so I didn’t run into any technical issues. I do think it’s the worst in the series however. The story wasn’t bad, but it never reached the same heights as the original and making you care for the characters. It all felt generic. This may partly be due to the gameplay change.

The gameplay is definitely smoother due to the jet pack booster and the ability to be more mobile. However, the biggest change is not being in direct control of your squad mates powers. This was a huge mistake to me. They tried to make up for it by not having your character be locked down to a specific class like sentinel or vanguard. Due to this, you could make a character that could handle any enemy and made your squad mates feel like they didn’t need to be there.

In the original trilogy, depending on your class, you had to choose certain squad mates to complement your ability which made you care about them more when it came to decisions about who would die and who would survive. In andromeda, I didn’t give a fukk about any of my squad mates lol, they were just there. And since I couldn’t control their powers, I was just reliant on the AI to make the right decision.

One game can’t reach the heights of an entire trilogy. Because after my first time playing Mass Effect 1 I was relieve Ashley was dead and didn’t give a damn about any of the dry characters. It’s not until the second game where the characters came alive.

I never took advantage of controlling other characters. My focus was on Shepard and Shepard only while playing. The other characters only provided dialogue to me.

Really the only time where the type of squad member you chose mattered was ME1 with unlocking terminals. Like I’m the mission on Feros where you’re trying to get the Rachni out of that room. Having someone with a high tech ability helps. But I never got that same feeling from 2 or 3.

tgu

Pro
Daps
One game can’t reach the heights of an entire trilogy. Because after my first time playing Mass Effect 1 I was relieve Ashley was dead and didn’t give a damn about any of the dry characters. It’s not until the second game where the characters came alive.

I never took advantage of controlling other characters. My focus was on Shepard and Shepard only while playing. The other characters only provided dialogue to me.

Really the only time where the type of squad member you chose mattered was ME1 with unlocking terminals. Like I’m the mission on Feros where you’re trying to get the Rachni out of that room. Having someone with a high tech ability helps. But I never got that same feeling from 2 or 3.

One game can’t reach the height of a trilogy, but I don’t feel like andromeda set anything up that I would care to play the sequel :yeshrug:. It just felt like a generic space game. I had to force myself to finish cuz it just got boring to me. I never had that feeling with any of the previous mass effects. Also, it sounds like we had different play styles cuz i actively took advantage of all my squad mates powers and upgraded them accordingly. To each their own though

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
In the switch's current state, nah. GCN has less games but a better selection of games, especially 1st party and better RPGs.

While I do think the GameCube's library does get underrated. And I think Metroid Prime is easily better than anything on the Switch atm. I do think the first-party content is debatable and depends on the person.

But what RPGs are you referring to specifically? Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are arguably the best games in the Fire Emblem franchise. And Tales of Symphonia which I never played so I can't comment too much on that. You can also add Paper Mario TTYD, but that is more of a cult classic IMO.

But the Switch right now has Xenoblade 1 + 2, Three Houses, Dragon Quest 11, YS VIII, and Octopath Traveler. If we include ports we also have the Witcher 3 and Tales of Vesperia. It definitely feels already that the Switch has a much stronger RPG catalog then the GameCube.