2012 - Official College Football Random Thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
exactly if you lifted the rule you would have MUCH better BCS matchups and more ratings which brings more revenue

something like this

title game - bama vs nd

fiesta - k state vs LSU

Rose - Oregon vs Georgia

Sugar - Florida vs Stanford

Orange - A&M vs OU

That looks more like the SEC Showcase than Bowl Season.

I do think those would be good games though.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
What I want to happen the most is the 2014 4 team playoff being insanely popular with fans, and driving more fans toward the sport. Then an 8 team playoff following the success of the original playoff. Hopefully, it would all culminate in a 16 team playoff and we could see the right finish to the football season.

They could even introduce the NIT equivalent of CFB for the teams that don't make it (the next 16 or so teams)

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
Your boys really aiming for Gundy or is that a bunch of bs?

The Gruden rumors are crazy right now. Very very crazy. VolNation really thinks that they are 1 announcement on Friday away from having Gruden as the next head coach.

Gundy is also on the short list.

At this point, for most UT fans, it's Gruden or bust.

I'll post some stuff I'm seeing on VN:

" Nothing is up. Nothing has changed. It's as we have said for sometime.....Gruden is coming. There is simply nothing else to say.

Just watch the machine work and wait for the announcement."

"Hey guys. Just dropping in to say hi.

Haven't been avoiding but dont have much to add.

All is still on track. No worries".

Latest update from Basilio (11/27, 12:23 AM):

"I'll repeat what I said yesterday right here because it bears repeating. Jon Gruden to UT is not dead. Gruden is highly interested in the job. Will UT get more interested in doing something with him as time goes on?

For the sake of the conversation and until UT shows me otherwise I have to think that UT is just not going to let an opportunity to land a guy like this go by the wayside. As I told you yesterday, there are concerns about Gruden temperament behind the scenes. These $$$ folks at UT have done a lot of research into Gruden (as well they should). When you're shelling out the kind of dollars he's asking, you have to make sure you know what you're doing.

Once UT gets that list whittled down, I can't imagine them not going back and giving Gruden a shot to at least explain himself and have the opportunity to overcome UT's objections to his candidacy as UT's next head coach."

"[T]rust me when I say that they have been told by some that it's a PR nightmare to let this fester if you are not hiring him.

I don't know why no one has put it to bed if you're not hiring him. I think it's a mistake by the AD to continue to allow it to be a possibility if it's not a possibility. So that leads me back to "I gotta see it to believe it" instead of saying there no chance..

Much of the smoke from Gruden comes from posters who have sources. Maybe they don't have many sources on Fisher or others.

I have said that Stoops is a long shot and that Fisher is in a good situation at FSU and just how upset is he really with his administrators.

I do thing that Hart has been working talking to some agents and lawyers, but I do believe the search is in the early stages but speeds up quickly tomorrow or this week with Hart headin on the road.

Presser at 3 on Friday per Ainge to announce "something."

never claimed to have inside sources and i have held off completely but i firmly believe this will happen. I am on the phone now having a discussion from somone in the know. I am about to leave the office for the day but i will leave with this... It is done and will be announced friday. The media is apart of this in specific circles and have been asked to spin it is at best and will not part take in the vent afterwards if leaked, they will be ruined at tn if so. This explained a lot of hubbs wish-washyness. My contact has very reliable sources and has mirrored everything boro has been stating.

You are about to witness the biggest hire in nca history and the best marketing ploy by our beloved university. I truly believe this individual and rarely have need to talk to him back home untl recently. It is done!

since i originally posted what i'd been told in mid october i have never seen any info that trumped what i had been told, or by whom. In fact my information has been corroborated by several other og's whose information came from different sources. Nothing has come out from any of our sources to change my opinion. In fact, i've heard things from them that made me more certain.

Still 100%.

Personally I was told the 30th. That is the date I was told a couple of weeks ago. I really don't care what date it's announced, just that it is.

The experts on ESPNU mentioned Tennessee and Gruden as the potential coach with Fisher being second

A deal is on the table, agreed upon in principle by both parties, an 8 year contract worth $ 54 million. The Haslam family has also chipped in an ownership share of the Cleveland Browns for Gruden, the Browns of course, being the newest Haslam family business venture.
Gruden is waiting out his Tampa Bay buyout payments, which conclude in early December.
Gruden is assembling a top shelf staff, including Raheem Morris. His staff will firm him up on NCAA rules, recruiting, and the like.
Gruden and Dooley are close. Gruden has made it clear he wanted some "buffer" between his announcement and Dooley's firing, to avoid further embarrassment to Dooley.
The big money (and I mean big money) donors and boosters have instructed Dave Hart to back up the Wells Fargo truck to Gruden's house and make this happen.
The issue of "control" is being used as a smokescreen. Gruden will have football program say-so over any and every thing he wishes, short of any academic regulations or NCAA rules violations. Carte Blanche.
Yes, Gruden has it made at ESPN, but is itching to get back on the sidelines. The only college job he is even considering is Tennessee. He quickly thanks but no thanksed Arkansas (notice he has not done this to Tennessee). If he doesn't come to Tennessee, he goes back to the NFL
Johnny Majors and Peyton Manning have aggressively lobbied Gruden to take the job.
There is a University of Dayton (Gruden's alma mater) annual alumni event this Saturday. Gruden has spoken at this event every year for the last 9 years. He has cancelled this year with a vague "scheduling conflict" excuse. His replacement speaker, Chuck Noll, let slip that "I guess Jon will be in Knoxville next weekend..."

A buddy of mine talked to Bill Haslam last Tuesday while he was at work and Bill had some good things to say regarding Gruden being our next head coach. My buddy said Bill told him that Jimmy, Fulmer, and Peyton talked last week about pushing for Gruden. He then stated that the 3 of them were also meeting with Gruden this week sometime as well. Didn't say what day the meeting would be but said it would depend on Peyton's schedule. TIFWIW but I just wanted to pass along some info that came from Governor Haslam.

on top of that some Memphis news report just came out talking about Gruden getting an offer for a piece of the Browns franchise as well. Which doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure that's against NCAA rules.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
but after that it's Fisher and Gundy on the short list

of course Strong is on every short list

after that there are a lot of names that would not make nearly the splash that the UT AD wants to make to get UT back on track

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
VN killing me with this Gruden talk. Some NFL team will get him this year. If he goes to the UT, he will use that as a stepping stone back to the NFL. Can't believe these dudes can't see that. :snoop:

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
yeah right he just wants to go there and win five championships and coach there forever!

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Does anyone else find this as strong arm tactics??

4:20PM EST November 21. 2012 - The NCAA has issued a heavy-handed ultimatum to numerous former Miami (Fla.) student-athletes allegedly involved with disgraced booster Nevin Shapiro, the central figure in the NCAA's case against the university that began last February:

If you don't talk to us, we'll believe Shapiro's claims against you.

As first reported by Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald, the NCAA issued a letter to those former players on the team when the investigation launched in 2011 requiring that each speak to investigators by Friday. If these former players don't talk – and they're not obligated to do anything – the NCAA "will consider the non-response as… admission of involvement in NCAA violations."

AUBURN: NCAA investigating Auburn, according to Yahoo! Sports report

The NCAA's case alleges that Shapiro, who is currently in prison on charges of fraud and money laundering, gave an estimated $2 million in extra benefits to more than 70 Miami football and basketball players from 2002-10. (Miami recently self-imposed a bowl ban for the second year in a row, hoping to mitigate the penalties enforced once the NCAA concludes its case.)

darius19

R.I.P. Kobe and Nip, that’s off the rip
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Does anyone else find this as strong arm tactics??

Yeah. My guess is they couldnt find any legitimate dirt, because a) former players aren't gonna snitch, and b) the dude making these claims is in a federal prison for lying

The NCAA wants to hit us hard but really dont have the solid evidence to do so, which means we're either gonna get off with a light punishment (yeah right), or the NCAA is gonna take Shapiro's word and say, look we gave your former players a chance to talk and none of them did.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Colorado in talks with Mangino The Hutt for HC gig :dead:

Don't knock it b.....that fat SOB can coach. Was always into it with players, Lew Perkins, and school admin but he's effective. Has reach into OK, Mizzou and Texas.i know his wife was having health issues but couldn't figure out why no schools threw money at him to be an OC.

61 Corpses

The Breh
Daps
Reppin
Don't knock it b.....that fat SOB can coach. Was always into it with players, Lew Perkins, and school admin but he's effective. Has reach into OK, Mizzou and Texas.i know his wife was having health issues but couldn't figure out why no schools threw money at him to be an OC.
Oh i know he can coach, ks aint been shyt without him..but dude has horrible rep. Speaks more to how much Colorado done fell to reach out to him.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The Gruden rumors are crazy right now. Very very crazy. VolNation really thinks that they are 1 announcement on Friday away from having Gruden as the next head coach.

Gundy is also on the short list.

At this point, for most UT fans, it's Gruden or bust.

I'll post some stuff I'm seeing on VN:

on top of that some Memphis news report just came out talking about Gruden getting an offer for a piece of the Browns franchise as well. Which doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure that's against NCAA rules.

You could of kept this Convo over there

No one here cares about your next head coach:damn:

Status
Not open for further replies.