2012 - Official College Football Random Thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEC Hater

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, in pre-season he said this was the best group he's had...yadda, yadda...

But TOB is a stand up dude.

NC State is ready to go national in football, although Yow is saying she only at least wants Top 20-25 placement yearly, but I dunno if that's in the cards...especially in the weak ACC when FSU and Clem are the only national, semi-national teams.

Aside from tough OOC scheduling, there's little room to make national noise. You gotta win the early OOC, primetime matchups when you are the ACC in football...and you have to beat FSU or Clem. The conference hangs its hat on those two teams. Maybe one of the revolving door of teams that will play Notre Dame can get a win.

I thought they were on their way to going national back in the Philip Rivers/Jerrico Cotchery/TA McClendon days, but they've been pretty quiet since then. This year was their best shot at making noise, they could've beat Tennessee in prime time in the Georgia Dome, they beat FSU and played Clemson tough, but they also lost to UNC and got smoked by UVA. Now Glennon and their coach is gone, don't know where they go from here.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I live in Ohio and all the rumors here say Virginia and UNC to the Big Ten as well. They fit the conference blue print of big state schools that belong to the AAU and already border current Big Ten states.

please take them i don't want these teams in my conference. they add nothing in football although good in basketball

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
North Carolina's best football is in the Charlotte area, so thats a disadvantage for NC colleges in recruiting. Charlotte is closer to S.Car and Clemson than it is to the other DI schools in NC.

True. It's some schools in the eastern part of the state that are producing some talent, too.

When Gurshall went to GA, I think folks were like, "Hold up!" It really shined a light on the difficulties to keep top-notch in state recruits.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I thought they were on their way to going national back in the Philip Rivers/Jerrico Cotchery/TA McClendon days, but they've been pretty quiet since then. This year was their best shot at making noise, they could've beat Tennessee in prime time in the Georgia Dome, they beat FSU and played Clemson tough, but they also lost to UNC and got smoked by UVA. Now Glennon and their coach is gone, don't know where they go from here.

Word.

The knock on TOB at NC State is inconsistency.

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
True. It's some schools in the eastern part of the state that are producing some talent, too.

When Gurshall went to GA, I think folks were like, "Hold up!" It really shined a light on the difficulties to keep top-notch in state recruits.

Butch Davis was turning it around. It was hard for S.C to recruit against NC and Butch Davis. Plus Phil Fulmer used to lean on N.C and S.C heavy. The lower state part of N.C is an area where a lot of programs come to to recruit.

SEC Hater

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol
Byu is looking for a conference :heh:
I'm sure they would love to come to the Coastal division and get a few easy 10 win seasons under their belt in a "major" conference :lolbron:
I live in Ohio and all the rumors here say Virginia and UNC to the Big Ten as well. They fit the conference blue print of big state schools that belong to the AAU and already border current Big Ten states.

I've also been hearing GT instead of UNC, which seems more plausible to me, anybody who knows the ACC knows that UNC runs this conference, Swofford is a UNC alum, so as long as he's commissioner they got it made, plus I just cant see them breaking their rivalry with Duke.

As for UVA, I've always heard that the Virginia government wants them in the same conference with VT, and if one were to leave it would have to be a package deal :yeshrug:

No matter what happens I have no faith in the ACC. They put in a 50 mil buyout to try to make the conference more stable, then Maryland leaves the very next year :dead: FSU also voted against the buyout, if they get an offer to leave I can see them bolting without hesitation, but if that happens its ok, we'll just add a few more basketball schools and continue to move backwards in football while all other conferences move forward, all while blowing Notre Dame and letting them take our bowl spots and keep all the money just so we can have that ACC logo on their basketball and baseball uniforms :dead:

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Butch Davis was turning it around. It was hard for S.C to recruit against NC and Butch Davis. Plus Phil Fulmer used to lean on N.C and S.C heavy. The lower state part of N.C is an area where a lot of programs come to to recruit.

Yup. The western and southwestern parts of NC have been more fertile.

But yeah, UNC wanted to play that big time recruiting game, and Davis' underling(s) got reckless...They weren't bout that life. Or maybe they were bout that life, too much! I think Fedora and his people are gonna be decent recruiters though...skirt the boundaries later on down the road, rebuild and build some relationships, not draw too much heat.

A few years ago, SC snatched up that wideout from Charlotte who was a pretty big NC prospect, but he never really produced. Also got J. Saunders outta the Triangle. And SC is getting a real solid QB from Wakefield High in Raleigh, and some other strong NC high schoolers are considering SC right now (Larenz Bryant, Marquez Grayson).

But don't sleep on Eastern NC...

Status
Not open for further replies.