2012 - Official College Football Random Thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEC Hater

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Playing in the ACC didn't really prepare Clemson or FSU. Neither team was really challenged in conference play. The ACC is usually just mediocre, but it was historically bad this year. Both of our squads looked soft. We both got dominated. Especially FSU.

I don't know what's up with Dabo, but he does need to focus on the trenches more in particular the DL. Imagine how many points Johnny football might put up against Clemson.

You're exactly right. Going through the whole season blowing everybody out doesnt prepare you to win tight games. Averaging 45 ppg against :trash: defenses where you dont have to make in game adjustments doesnt prepare you for teams that you're gonna have to adjust against. I think both teams got a little cocky yesterday, especially Clemson. It seems like Chad Morris thought we were just gonna waltz out on the field and drop 50 and win off of offensive talent alone. Like I said earlier, he didnt even try to scheme around Clowney, if that aint cocky (and stupid) I don't know what is.

The D-line will be ok, we're still going after a few highly rated D-line recruits, and the ones we got now are just young as hell. Abig problem is S&C. When you've got an offense that either scores quickly or goes 3 & out, The D gets gassed quick. Thats what happened at FSU, both lines got wore out about midway through the 3rd, after that we couldnt block or stop anything

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
UVA & UNC have met with......,,,

T.K Bone:

......the B1G. This is coming from my high school center who's dad is on the board at UVA. About as good a source as I have, so I'm listening. It also means that VT goes to the SEC. It's time to get nervous folks.

If there is one thing I know about people who are influential enough to be in the know, it's that they don't get there by taking BS or running their mouth anout what they know. Just the fact that he told me makes me listen.

His texts r flooding in. Here is what he's texting.

-The ACC should have been more proactive and busted up the tabacco rd mafia. Swafford should have been fired 5 years ago

-It's all but over for ACC at this point. The buzzards are circling

ACC is about to be dead

SEC Hater

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We're alums mad that obrien tossed Wilson to the bushes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk breh!

Was my understanding that if Wilson had stayed Glennon was gonna transfer, he was basically trading off 1 year of Wilson for 2 years of Glennon. I guess they thought this year was gonna be their year :yeshrug:

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So who are the leading candidates for the jobs at Auburn, Tennessee, and Arkansas?

uburn coach hot board
AuburnUndercover.com Staff
58 minutes ago
Comments:64Add a commentWith Gene Chizik’s future decided, a coaching search is upon us. The last time Auburn was in the market for a coach, Tommy Tuberville had exited on Dec. 3, 2008, after a 5-7 season. Twelve days later, on Dec. 15, Iowa State’s Gene Chizik was hired as Auburn’s 25th head football coach. With a 5-19 record, the hiring was highly controversial. Two seasons later the Tigers won it all, going 14-0.

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher
Since then, it’s been all downhill. Chizik’s tenure ends in much the same way it began: with losing and division. Auburn completed the 2012 season with a 3-9 record, its worst since 1952.

Auburn has a recent history of hiring head coaches. Pat Dye had successful stops at both Wyoming and East Carolina. Terry Bowden had been highly successful at 1-AA Samford and Tommy Tuberville was hired away from Ole Miss.

With that in mind, AuburnUndercover takes a look at several potential candidates. The list will be updated as events warrant.

Most likely targets

GUS MALZAHN

Current position: Head Coach, Arkansas State

Record: : 8-3

Buyout: $700k

The skinny: Most of the players on the offensive side of the ball were recruited to play in Malzahn’s system. He knows almost every player on the team and the transition would be nearly seamless. His offenses score points in bunches. In 2010, Chris Todd finished the season completing over 60% of his passes and throwing for over 200 yards per game. In 2010, he developed eventual Heisman winner Cam Newton and Auburn’s offense averaged 499 yards per game. The biggest concern is that Malzahn has limited college experience. We’re told he’s hesitant to hire assistant coaches he doesn’t know extremely well. He also approved a number of players with questionable character when he was Auburn’s offensive coordinator.

Odds: 5-1

KIRBY SMART

Current position: Defensive Coordinator, Alabama

Record: Has never been a head coach

Buyout: : No buyout if he leaves for a head coaching position

The skinny: The 2009 Broyles Award winner is one of college football’s hottest names. He’s the coordinator of one of the best defenses in the nation. He has worked for Bobby Bowden at Florida State and Jim Donnan and Mark Richt at Georgia. But, he has spent the majority of his career working under Nick Saban at LSU, Alabama and the Miami Dolphins. Many believe Smart would prefer to wait on the Alabama or Georgia jobs to open. Would Auburn hire an Alabama assistant coach with no head coaching experience? Smart seems to be gaining traction.

JIMBO FISHER

Current position: Head Coach, Florida State

Record: 26–10

Buyout: $2 million

The skinny: Fisher was Terry Bowden’s quarterbacks coach for six seasons on The Plains. His FSU staff has a strong Auburn flavor with former Tiger assistants Rick Trickett and Eddie Gran. Former Auburn quarterback Dameyune Craig is also on staff, as is recruiting coordinator Bob LaCivita. Fisher is a Nick Saban protégé, having served as his offensive coordinator at LSU. If anyone knows how Alabama’s coach thinks – and how to compete with him, it’s Fisher. Fisher also worked for Auburn’s other primary competitor in the SEC West, Les Miles. Would he return to Auburn and leave after only three seasons as the head man in Tallahassee? Those closest to him think he’d certainly listen.

BOBBY PETRINO

Current position: Former Head Coach, Arkansas

Record: 75–26

Buyout: Currently not under contract

The skinny: Probably the biggest and most controversial name on the list is the former Arkansas head coach who was dismissed in the spring of 2012 for not disclosing an "inappropriate relationship" with a female employee. He also coached the Atlanta Falcons for a portion of the 2007 season and was the head football coach at Louisville from 2003 to 2006. Petrino became a hot name after leading Auburn’s offense in 2002. One can’t argue with his record. Petrino’s offenses score points and his teams win a lot of football games. He took both Arkansas and Louisville to BCS bowls. That’s impressive. Everyone around Auburn remembers “Jetgate.” Could the plane land 10 years later?

Odds: 25-1

Others potentially in the mix

JEFF FISHER

Current position: Head Coach, St. Louis Rams

Record: 150-132-1

Buyout: Unknown

The skinny: Fisher is making $7 million a year and has total control in St. Louis. While he has been very successful in the NFL, he has never coached in college. Fisher has a son who is a walk-on with the Auburn football squad. He also spent a lot of time in Auburn last season while he was between jobs. Many folks around Auburn believe he’s a legitimate candidate and are excited about that possibility. Others wonder why he’d even consider it and don’t know if he could make a successful transition to the college level.

Odds: 50-1

CHARLIE STRONG

Current position: Head Coach, Louisville

Record: 23-13 as a head coach; 21-12 in third season at Louisville (Strong was interim coach for the 2004 Peach Bowl at Florida)

Buyout: $1 million

The skinny: Strong has almost 20 years experience coaching in the SEC. He worked at Florida under five different head coaches. He has spent time at Ole Miss, Notre Dame and South Carolina. He’s a terrific recruiter and players love him. He will be mentioned as a potential candidate for every major opening this year. Strong took over a mess at Louisville and quickly took the Cardinals to a bowl game. In 2012, he has the Cardinals sitting at 9-2 with a very young football team. Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich has said he “will match anybody in college” to keep Strong. When Texas A&M had an interest in Strong last season, Jurich refused permission to speak with him.

Odds: 50-1

JAMES FRANKLIN

Current position: Head Coach, Vanderbilt

Record: 14-11

Buyout: Unknown (Vanderbilt is a private university)

The skinny: It seems like only yesterday that Franklin was set to succeed Ralph Friedgen as the head coach in waiting at Maryland. Then, before you knew it, both were shown the door and the Terps hired Randy Edsall. Franklin landed the head job at Vanderbilt and has been red hot ever since. He has the Commodores in their second consecutive bowl and was recently linked to the Arkansas job. He has an impressive resume with additional stops at Kansas State and Green Bay as the Packers’ wide receivers coach.

Odds: 75-1

Others who could get looks: UCLA coach Jim Mora Jr., Western Kentucky coach Willie Taggart, Penn State coach Bill O'Brien, Clemson OC Chad Morris, Cincinnati coach Butch Jones, Boise State coach Chris Petersen, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini and North Carolina coach Larry Fedora.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Acc has that aq spot in the new bowls, if va or va tech were to leave they would have many many options to replace

I don't believe the reports anyways

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It could happen, but I just can't see any of the tobacco road schools leaving. They run the ACC. Do think Clemson, GT,Miami, and FSU would leave in heartbeat if they could

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Kliff kingsbury (offensive co-ordinator at Texas a&m) who molded Johnny football and case keenum

If I were a ad he'd be at the top of my lost even though he's only 35

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
We're alums mad that obrien tossed Wilson to the bushes?

Nah, they understood the situation for the most part.

Just think they are upset with the lack of recruiting, but the state of North Carolina will never be a recruiting hotbed for football, and its best in-state talent will usually opt to go to South Carolina, Georgia, Tenn., Florida, etc. because it's the SEC, exposure is better, and frankly, the competition is better. With that said, what do you think the out-of-state talent wants to do?!

The football culture is different in NC. It's a basketball state, and high school football gets thrown in the bushes. Go to more southern states and you'll see the culture is different. They play serious football damn near year round.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
It could happen, but I just can't see any of the tobacco road schools leaving. They run the ACC. Do think Clemson, GT,Miami, and FSU would leave in heartbeat if they could

Miami doesn't belong in the acc to me, not really a basketball school and for football they seem more sec to me

SEC Hater

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why would the SEC want Vtech, if they came we certainly would have to add another team to even it out

TV market. Don't know how true any of these rumors flying around are, but ever since Maryland left I've been hearing about the UVA and UNC to the Big 10 too. And with VT to the SEC, NC State seems to be the other team that gets talked about going to the SEC with them. But like I said, I don't know what to believe, the past 3 or 4 season theres been all kinds of talk about teams leaving, and so far only 1 has left the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.