1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
To address the "still they were no Scarface" point you made, is that the standard? We're they supposed to come out the gate and have Face props? I mean Face is damn near Big and Pac status. Again, I feel you hold Outkast to this incredibly high standard, which I guess you will say you do in response to Stan's putting them on an undeserved pedestal, but two wrongs don't make a right.

But weren't you saying that they appealed to one niche market that accounted for all their empty sales? Selling to numerous different markets means the term niche doesn't apply to you. And who is the core rap audience? Isn't there numerous niche fan bases within that core base? I mean there's a southern core, a hippity hoppity core, etc.

:wtf: @ how youre twisting it to make it look like im the one that's out of pocket.

if outkast are really the goat contenders like a lot of people on this board seem think they are, then there should be no such thing as too high of a standard. theres no higher standard than the title that they try to give them.

you should bark on them instead. you cant make crazy claims if you cant back em up. that's basically what my gripe is with this outkast chit on here. that and the fact that I struck a lot of nerves on the old site just by stating the obvious, is the reason why I will continue to state the obvious. its fun. I must admit.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:wtf: @ how youre twisting it to make it look like im the one that's out of pocket.

if outkast are really the goat contenders like a lot of people on this board seem think they are, then there should be no such thing as too high of a standard. theres no higher standard than the title that they try to give them.

you should bark on them instead. you cant make crazy claims if you cant back em up. that's basically what my gripe is with this outkast chit on here. that and the fact that I struck a lot of nerves on the old site just by stating the obvious, is the reason why I will continue to state the obvious. its fun. I must admit.

I wasn't twisting anything - the Stans take it too far in their direction, but you take downplaying them too far.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I wasn't twisting anything - the Stans take it too far in their direction, but you take downplaying them too far.

aside from the term "niche" probably being a poor choice of words, how did I downplay them?

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
When i think about it, 1998 is probably the year when i was most dissapointed by an album.

Ice Cube, the very reason i f*cked with hip hop in the first place and the guy that was my idol as a youngin, dropped that War and Peace vol 1.

I waited forever on Cube to drop an album and that first disk just had me confused as sh*t. In disbelief. Who is th*s nikka im hearing on record? Cube?

You wont ever catch me talk bad about Cube, but this album represents the album that let me down the most, in any genre, such was the standard of the first 3 solo's (lethal injection too, to a certain extent).

You should have seen that coming for years. 'Bow Down' was when the nail officially sealed Cube's coffin for me.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
wow. get the muthafukkin' doe stack! my boy from delaware put me on to that song.

EPMD influence abounds.

haha.

it hit the radio here like the same time that dmx' "get at me dog" hit.

and iirc, queen latifah sampled the beat as well and was getting mix-show spins with it during that exact same time as ram squad & dmx.

im not 100% sure about latifah tho. hopefully someone else remembers it(that is if it even exists). that's actually the song i was searching for when i linked that latifah up.

You should have seen that coming for years. 'Bow Down' was when the nail officially sealed Cube's coffin for me.

i wouldn't go that far with the nail comment. but yea, i figured "bow down" was gonna be the last main event push for ice cube. i could tell that he was slowing down.

the players club stuff was dope. so was the joint he did for "i got the hook-up", but i could tell that he would be too winded to drop a whole album full of that chit.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Bow Down was terrible to me. Wack knockoff Chronic beats or played out samples (people make the world go round) and a flabby ass Cube rapping. WC never moved me, ever and Mack 10 is Mack 10.

and it has nothing at all to do with the east coast bashing.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
do you agree with pac that ice cube was using the east/west stuff in order to maintain relevance?

i think cube would've been on that tip anyway. iirc, he was one of the 1st dudes to speak up on the west's behalf way back when.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I think Cube is a businessman, a sellout and was clinging to relevancy in an industry that was passing his style by rapidly.

Was he really peeved at NY? Probably.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I think they popularized Braves gear - and I think Dre (in particular) had a huge impact on everything - but more so towards the end of the 90s if not strictly 2000-present.

I'd love to hear your argument on behalf of BCC re: impact. I'm a huge fan of BCC.

dre had a huge impact on what?:laff:

bcc had great impact & influence on the east coast.

as for the off-wax part, they set a standard for the indie grind. they were kinda like dipset before dipset. and they were also amongst the first(if not thee first) to take advantage of the internet. the only people that may have beat them to the punch would be somebody like ICP, but they aren't seen as hip-hop anyway.

you erase boot camp clique out of the history books and theres holes to fill. can you say the same about outkast?

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Lethal injection was "different" to his previous 3 albums. looking back i guess i kinda knew cubes sound and direction was changing. i was, admittedly, a fully fledged cube stan ar the time i wasnt tryna hear or see anything other than another classic. thats what made it hurt so much lol.

Bow Down was terrible to me. Wack knockoff Chronic beats or played out samples (people make the world go round) and a flabby ass Cube rapping. WC never moved me, ever and Mack 10 is Mack 10.

and it has nothing at all to do with the east coast bashing.

I couldn't disagree more re bow down. I cant beleive what im hearing! That is a classic in these parts. He sounded hungry on that album, the production was amazing and Dub C repped. You just don't like him by the sound of it though, fair enough. mack 10 is kinda wack but even he did a good job on that album for the most part.