1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
You weren't 7 in 1994? 8?

And no, I don't agree with you at all about Outkast. I actually like them...a lot. And I actually can discern between really good production (organized Noize) and piss poor schmaltz (arrested development). Seems you can't.

And yeah, you know DAMD well the Outkast/souls of mischief parallel is something you read on here that either myself or Art typed. I'd bet you haven't ever even heard the Souls album.

You don't dig Kast, that's cool. But you shouldn't try and blanket the booth given your proclivities for keyboard beats.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
HARLEM DIPLOMAT/CRIME-HOUND NICCA STICKIN THAT:jawalrus:
:stylin::stylin:

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
life in 1472 really got mentioned in this thread? :wtf:

its a dope album.

I don't concede to internet rhetoric.

we out here.

You weren't 7 in 1994? 8?

And no, I don't agree with you at all about Outkast. I actually like them...a lot. And I actually can discern between really good production (organized Noize) and piss poor schmaltz (arrested development). Seems you can't.

And yeah, you know DAMD well the Outkast/souls of mischief parallel is something you read on here that either myself or Art typed. I'd bet you haven't ever even heard the Souls album.

You don't dig Kast, that's cool. But you shouldn't try and blanket the booth given your proclivities for keyboard beats.

I was 9 in the 4th grade. really 5th grade when they blew up and way-way-way off the porch. btw, I liked outkast back then.

and you may not agree with certain chit, but you know they weren't who theyre made out to be in hindsight. that's my gripe against outkast, and its moreso a gripe against their fans. not them.

NO. im on record making the souls of mischief parallel way back on sohh. TO MY KNOWLEDGE, art didn't make that parallel til we got to this board and he finally got tired of the belated outkast hype. if I got that chit from art, I would've shouted him out the same way that I shout him out when I actually do take quotes from him.......THE SAME WAY THAT I SHOUT YOU OUT when I take a quote from you. the same with whoever else I may quote. that's why I feel some type of way about that bullchit, because youre somebody that I shouted out so you should no better.

yousa a desperate ass, straw reacher.

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
the more albums that get mentioned in 1998 the worse that year of music looks. god damn there was some garbage out there. vol 2 is terrible, but that looks like a masterpiece compared to shyt like life in 1472 or the he got game soundtrack

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
the more albums that get mentioned in 1998 the worse that year of music looks. god damn there was some garbage out there. vol 2 is terrible, but that looks like a masterpiece compared to shyt like life in 1472 or the he got game soundtrack

volume 2 isn't internet-friendly.

and I dam sure wouldn't expect life in 1472 to be appreciated by many people on here.

he got game was a nice comeback story. a late '80s/early '90s group, most(if not all of them) were older than their peers even back then. yet, they comeback, drop a hit single and a decent record in '98. you cant be mad at that. im not saying that its even a top 25 album for that year. its just something that I bumped here-n-there and im not trying to leave any stones un-turned in this thread.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
He Got Game was wack. Period.

That Jermaine album was too. And I bought it. Still have it.

Vol. 2 is dope. Keyboards everywhere but a primed Jigga makes for one of his stronger CDs.

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
theres not many stones to turn over. you had gangstarr, outkast, devin the dude, big pun, first dmx joint, show and ag ep, goodie mob, pete rock with solid top to bottom albums and thats about it. a few albums had like 1-2 good cuts, and the rest mediocre or straight trash like jay z, brand nubian, blackstar, onyx, mop, nore, redman, method man etc. some under the radar joints like mac shell shocked, rasco time waits for no man, or the coup steal this album, colored section bomb mc, all natural no additives were decent but none of those are anything to get too excited about.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
more r&b classics:

HOW DID SWV NOT GET MENTIONED??

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
theres not many stones to turn over. you had gangstarr, outkast, devin the dude, big pun, first dmx joint, show and ag ep, goodie mob, pete rock with solid top to bottom albums and thats about it. a few albums had like 1-2 good cuts, and the rest mediocre or straight trash like jay z, brand nubian, blackstar, onyx, mop, nore, redman, method man etc. some under the radar joints like mac shell shocked, rasco time waits for no man, or the coup steal this album, colored section bomb mc, all natural no additives were decent but none of those are anything to get too excited about.

a lot of people will say that some of the stuff that youre pumpin up is weak, and some of the stuff that youre calling trash is hot.

I respect it tho. I like that bold posting chit.

this part isn't directed towards you, but a problem I have is, I don't even have to get bold, but people will claim that im passing off opinions as fact. meanwhile, somebody else can stroll in bold as f*ck and nobody says chit.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I didn't repeat a dam thing from anybody in that post. cut the bullchit.

so youre gonna act like outkast wasn't getting those laface/arista sales back in the spcm days? youre full of chit.

I remember them whining all thru aquemini about how theyre not as popular as they wanted to be.

and yes, if its southern fans youre referring to, yes. they automatically had southern fans. they were the only home team with a big budget during their 1st 2 releases.......and still they were no scarface.

point is, they hit all the niche bases that mattered if you wanted to rake up sales. really everybody has niche bases. its not a bad thing - as I said before. the problem is, they were never THAT CHIT with the core rap audience. so theres certain acts that they should never be mentioned in the same breath with. that's my gripe with kast fans on here.

credibility in the eyes of whom?

the boom-bappity crowd? of course they did.

To address the "still they were no Scarface" point you made, is that the standard? We're they supposed to come out the gate and have Face props? I mean Face is damn near Big and Pac status. Again, I feel you hold Outkast to this incredibly high standard, which I guess you will say you do in response to Stan's putting them on an undeserved pedestal, but two wrongs don't make a right.

But weren't you saying that they appealed to one niche market that accounted for all their empty sales? Selling to numerous different markets means the term niche doesn't apply to you. And who is the core rap audience? Isn't there numerous niche fan bases within that core base? I mean there's a southern core, a hippity hoppity core, etc.

Perry J. Perrywinkle III

Back From Job Corpse
Daps
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBvSE_CGKw"]The LOX - Money, Power, Respect (feat. Lil Kim & DMX) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I agree with homie who said the more albums get mentioned, the weaker the year looks. I don't really remember '98 for albums as much as I do the high volume of quality songs that were out there. It was one of those years where there was always good music out there, but if you bought all those albums you might've been let down.

Case in point: Busta's "Tear Da Roof Off" was live as hell... fukk that album tho'.

"It Ain't My Fault" was poppin'... but shyt if I'll listen to Silkk the Shocker for an hour.

I loved All-City's "The Actual"... the album... :scusthov:

Goodie Mob's "Black Ice" was my shyt... album? :snooze:

The Lox were killin' it all year... but I could do without more than half of that album.

Even Jermaine Dupri had a couple bangers but I ain't bout to bump that 1472 shyt all the way thru.

'98 is a good year for the music it's remembered for... but there was quite a lot of rightfully forgettable albums.

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When i think about it, 1998 is probably the year when i was most dissapointed by an album.

Ice Cube, the very reason i f*cked with hip hop in the first place and the guy that was my idol as a youngin, dropped that War and Peace vol 1.

I waited forever on Cube to drop an album and that first disk just had me confused as sh*t. In disbelief. Who is th*s nikka im hearing on record? Cube?

You wont ever catch me talk bad about Cube, but this album represents the album that let me down the most, in any genre, such was the standard of the first 3 solo's (lethal injection too, to a certain extent).