1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
aside from the term "niche" probably being a poor choice of words, how did I downplay them?

You kidding? You are very dismissive towards them generally and try to paint this picture that because they weren't BIG and PAC status they were nobodies. I'm oversimplifying your stance towards them but hopefully you get the gist.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You should have seen that coming for years. 'Bow Down' was when the nail officially sealed Cube's coffin for me.

haha.

it hit the radio here like the same time that dmx' "get at me dog" hit.

and iirc, queen latifah sampled the beat as well and was getting mix-show spins with it during that exact same time as ram squad & dmx.

im not 100% sure about latifah tho. hopefully someone else remembers it(that is if it even exists). that's actually the song i was searching for when i linked that latifah up.

i wouldn't go that far with the nail comment. but yea, i figured "bow down" was gonna be the last main event push for ice cube. i could tell that he was slowing down.

the players club stuff was dope. so was the joint he did for "i got the hook-up", but i could tell that he would be too winded to drop a whole album full of that chit.

Bow Down was terrible to me. Wack knockoff Chronic beats or played out samples (people make the world go round) and a flabby ass Cube rapping. WC never moved me, ever and Mack 10 is Mack 10.

and it has nothing at all to do with the east coast bashing.

do you agree with pac that ice cube was using the east/west stuff in order to maintain relevance?

i think cube would've been on that tip anyway. iirc, he was one of the 1st dudes to speak up on the west's behalf way back when.

I think Cube is a businessman, a sellout and was clinging to relevancy in an industry that was passing his style by rapidly.

Was he really peeved at NY? Probably.

I've got a completely different take on Bow Down. To me, that was the album that energized Cube after he had been slowin down for a few years. I think jumping in the East West beef was completely opportunistic. Cube was always an opportunist (the term I would use instead of sellout). And the album was dope and held in high regard on the West. Everyone came nice on that album (even Mack 10 - a rapper of limited skill). And how can you hate on WC? His style was crazy and he was liable to cut your whole fukking head off!

To me - Bow Down was Cubes last hurrah. It was over when he dropped We Be Clubbing.

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
funk flex vol 3 dropped that year. one of my fav mixtapes EVER aka who can rip wu/mobb deep beats the hardest for a whole tape

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOd5T6F2ymo"]King Sun - Freestyle - YouTube[/ame]

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
dre had a huge impact on what?:laff:

bcc had great impact & influence on the east coast.

as for the off-wax part, they set a standard for the indie grind. they were kinda like dipset before dipset. and they were also amongst the first(if not thee first) to take advantage of the internet. the only people that may have beat them to the punch would be somebody like ICP, but they aren't seen as hip-hop anyway.

you erase boot camp clique out of the history books and theres holes to fill. can you say the same about outkast?

Bay Area rappers had been doing the independent hustle back when BCC were getting jerked by Nervous. And while they may have been the first to have a website with a forum, you can't possibly be arguing that online hip hop would be any different today if their site didn't exist?

Dre was really the first rapper (maybe one of the first) to really break away from the mold of how a rapper was supposed to present himself. While this may have been common in the late 80s - he was the first, I believe, to really go left in the mid to late 90s. Without him would Common have gone left? Kanye? Pharell?

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DJ Rectangle's Lightening Fist dropped in 98

I cant front, i f*cked with that tape hard! I still play it to this very day, i have it on tape in my garage when i work out.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Other than Belly where was NAS at??? Where the fukk was NY at outside of DMX and Pun, and a few others... Why did we have to do the New Orleans shyt. 400 degree was a classic... but that other shyt was notice to Hip Hop that she was in the first stages of cancer.

Luckily I was 13 in 9th grade and was finally up on the underground hip hop scene cuz every year past 98 got worse and worse.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You kidding? You are very dismissive towards them generally and try to paint this picture that because they weren't BIG and PAC status they were nobodies. I'm oversimplifying your stance towards them but hopefully you get the gist.

no im not. im just calling it like it is. I never said they were nobodies. actually I constantly give them props when its actually due.

you should direct these comments to the people that are over-hyping them. you even admit that theyre overhyped, yet youre still arguing with me.

I've got a completely different take on Bow Down. To me, that was the album that energized Cube after he had been slowin down for a few years. I think jumping in the East West beef was completely opportunistic. Cube was always an opportunist (the term I would use instead of sellout). And the album was dope and held in high regard on the West. Everyone came nice on that album (even Mack 10 - a rapper of limited skill). And how can you hate on WC? His style was crazy and he was liable to cut your whole fukking head off!

To me - Bow Down was Cubes last hurrah. It was over when he dropped We Be Clubbing.

why quote me?

westside connection was my chit.

:pacspit: @ the east coast.

Bay Area rappers had been doing the independent hustle back when BCC were getting jerked by Nervous. And while they may have been the first to have a website with a forum, you can't possibly be arguing that online hip hop would be any different today if their site didn't exist?

Dre was really the first rapper (maybe one of the first) to really break away from the mold of how a rapper was supposed to present himself. While this may have been common in the late 80s - he was the first, I believe, to really go left in the mid to late 90s. Without him would Common have gone left? Kanye? Pharell?

the bay area grind was different.

im not saying that BCC were the 1st indie rappers at all. lol. you gotta go back over 30 years for that.

bottom line, theres dots that you cant connect without BCC.

lol @ the struggle-credits youre trying to give to andre. and plenty of rappers were left-field back then......unless by left-field you mean putting gay rumors on your own head. again, are you seriously trying to give credit for that? you really that desperate?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
no im not. im just calling it like it is. I never said they were nobodies. actually I constantly give them props when its actually due.

you should direct these comments to the people that are over-hyping them. you even admit that theyre overhyped, yet youre still arguing with me.

why quote me?

westside connection was my chit.

:pacspit: @ the east coast.

the bay area grind was different.

im not saying that BCC were the 1st indie rappers at all. lol. you gotta go back over 30 years for that.

bottom line, theres dots that you cant connect without BCC.

lol @ the struggle-credits youre trying to give to andre. and plenty of rappers were left-field back then......unless by left-field you mean putting gay rumors on your own head. again, are you seriously trying to give credit for that? you really that desperate?

I know you aren't a completely irrational hater of Outkast, that's why I said that I was oversimplifying your position re: them. I know you are trying to be reasonable - but I think you go to far and come across as dismissive. There's no one in this thread hyping up Outkast to be the greatest group of all time for me to go at. Mention me in a thread where that's happening and I'll come back you up.

I quoted you b/c you and Mel had this long back and forth convo and I wanted to quote both of you. Also - you said that Cube was losing steam when Bow Down dropped and I think he was ramping up at that time. Otherwise, we are in agreement on Bow Down and the West Coast being the best coast.

What are the dots that can't be connected without the BCC? The independent game jumps off before and without them...same with the internet. How is hip-hop different if they don't exist?

I could be forgetting someone - and I acknowledged that rappers were going left in the late 80s (and early 90s as well) and by that I'm referring to the Native Tongues, but by 93, Tribe and De La looked like other rap groups. Was there someone else of Dre's stature who came in the game looking and rapping like any other rapper who went as far weirdo as he did and still kept the props? I mean was there some other huge figure who in the late 90s said "you know what? fukk all this baggy jeans and timbs shyt...I'm gonna be a fukking weirdo." And was able to pull it off? Again - that opened doors for Kanye and Pharell to do them - and I agree with Mel - look where Weezy fukking took it. To me - Dre is the grandfather of all that. But I could be missing someone. Let me know.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I know you aren't a completely irrational hater of Outkast, that's why I said that I was oversimplifying your position re: them. I know you are trying to be reasonable - but I think you go to far and come across as dismissive. There's no one in this thread hyping up Outkast to be the greatest group of all time for me to go at. Mention me in a thread where that's happening and I'll come back you up.

What are the dots that can't be connected without the BCC? The independent game jumps off before and without them...same with the internet. How is hip-hop different if they don't exist?

I could be forgetting someone - and I acknowledged that rappers were going left in the late 80s (and early 90s as well) and by that I'm referring to the Native Tongues, but by 93, Tribe and De La looked like other rap groups. Was there someone else of Dre's stature who came in the game looking and rapping like any other rapper who went as far weirdo as he did and still kept the props? I mean was there some other huge figure who in the late 90s said "you know what? fukk all this baggy jeans and timbs shyt...I'm gonna be a fukking weirdo." And was able to pull it off? Again - that opened doors for Kanye and Pharell to do them - and I agree with Mel - look where Weezy fukking took it. To me - Dre is the grandfather of all that. But I could be missing someone. Let me know.

how am I being dismissive? when have I discredited or downplayed outkast?

everything you said to reject that bcc indie/internet statement can be applied to this paragraph on andre. like you said, people dressed weird years before andre and theyre certainly dressing weird YEARS afterwards. keywords: YEARS AFTERWARDS. when he and big gipp were running around dressing weird, nobody cared. there was no domino effect. but pharrell and his skater and preppie chit caused a domino effect. and kanye really caused a domino effect. the credit goes to those 2 for the rappers that dress weird today. and more importantly, this is nothing to brag about.

btw, what about busta rhymes. was he not dressing weird? or does he not count because he didn't look like a potential man-rape victim? just wondering for clarification.

back to BCC, I also mentioned all the influence that they had musically in REAL-TIME.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
I didn't real the whole thread but I just wanna say the Tunnel was LIVE around this time

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7faaQYfzJM]DMX - Get At Me Dog (Dirty) [ HD ] *2pac Diss That Became A ''K-Solo'' Diss* - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: