1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
lets take a look at @Big Mel's timeline, shall we?

bdp/epmd/jungle brothers
hit squad/native tongue/gangstarr
wutang/gangstarr
wutang affiliates
wutang
random chit associated with premo or pete rock
:flabbynsick::krs:
q-tip comeback failure
masta killa's barber's 3rd cousin
associates of a washed premo & washed pete rock
failed q-tip comeback #13
poppa wu's greatest seminars collection
:flabbynsick::krs: album #32
rza kung fu scores dvd in blue-ray

edit: cant forget about the other genre's:
the son of ghostface killah - the beyonce tribute album
tekitha's unreleased album
tekitha's unreleased greatest hits
the son of ghostface killah - Shaolin Sissy

no offense to tekitha, btw.

im not sure if they got BET in iowa back then either.

lol @ comparing outkast to 2pac.:pachaha:

saying they were just another group is a bit harsh. but let me put it to you like this. outkast wasn't one of those groups that people sat around and argued about like that. they were never a factor. nor did they have any songs off that album that people sat around and talked about either......and heres the big one.....THEY DIDNT HAVE MUCH OF A PRESENCE ON THE INTERNET NEITHER.:leon:

as far as the questions go, people knew kast was back out. niccas just didn't care like that. the only jam they were involved with that school year was "watch for the hook" which was cool breeze's song. that's it. rosa parks was just some chit that was on the radio. the other 2 singles were nice rap city cuts but nobody wrote home about them chits. goodie mob had better singles actually - and I completely forgot that they dropped an album that year.

sure they may have did numbers.......empty numbers by a glorified niche group.

List sounds great up to Masta Killa's barber's 3rd Cousin (fukking waste of RZA beats :snoop:)

BET was nationwide I believe.

Again - gotta disagree on Outkast. My perception of the magnitude of that album's impact is just a 180 from yours.

Wasn't Watch for the hook 99? Post Aquemini at least? Black Ice was a huge song. You may be right that that was the best DF related single of 98. But Aquemini was head and shoulders above Still Standing as an album. Also - what other good single did Goodie have from that album? Dance No Mo was meh.

The internet was tiny when it came to hip hop in late 98. Non factor - were you already online? I didn't get a computer until 99.

Their numbers being empty is your opinion. Nothing more.

Also - it sounds like you are backing away from your earlier claim of not knowing that Aquemini came out for months. Did you know about it or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
List sounds great up to Masta Killa's barber's 3rd Cousin (fukking waste of RZA beats :snoop:)

BET was nationwide I believe.

Again - gotta disagree on Outkast. My perception of the magnitude of that album's impact is just a 180 from yours.

Wasn't Watch for the hook 99? Post Aquemini at least? Black Ice was a huge song. You may be right that that was the best DF related single of 98. But Aquemini was head and shoulders above Still Standing as an album. Also - what other good single did Goodie have from that album? Dance No Mo was meh.

The internet was tiny when it came to hip hop in late 98. Non factor - were you already online? I didn't get a computer until 99.

Their numbers being empty is your opinion. Nothing more.

Also - it sounds like you are backing away from your earlier claim of not knowing that Aquemini came out for months. Did you know about it or not?

:pachaha: @ the 1st comment

nah BET wasn't everywhere. a good amount of markets didn't carry it. especially a lot of markets within the deadbeat states.

your perception of kast is different because youre apart of the niche market that carried them. im not saying kast were nobodies. they just weren't a factor. if they never rapped, nothing would have been different back then because they had no real effect on the game whatsoever.

black ice wasn't huge. that's an overstatement. but yea, it made more noise than any of the kast singles. "people don't dance no mo" may have been meh, but the hook was catchy enough and the video was noticeable enough to at least get people talking about the single a lil bit. im not saying it was a real popular song or anything......and yea, cool breeze was '99 but it was out with the other 2 aquemini singles.

the internet wasn't tiny at all in '98. and yes, I was on years beforehand. I had internet access as far back as Prodigy.

their numbers being empty isn't an opinion. its a fact. they did their numbers but had no effect on the landscape of the game. THATS EMPTY NUMBERS.

not backing away from anything. you misquoted me. I didn't say that I didn't know kast was out for months. I said I didn't know they dropped on the same day as jay........what I didn't know for months was that they got 5 mics.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:pachaha: @ the 1st comment

nah BET wasn't everywhere. a good amount of markets didn't carry it. especially a lot of markets within the deadbeat states.

your perception of kast is different because youre apart of the niche market that carried them. im not saying kast were nobodies. they just weren't a factor. if they never rapped, nothing would have been different back then because they had no real effect on the game whatsoever.

black ice wasn't huge. that's an overstatement. but yea, it made more noise than any of the kast singles. "people don't dance no mo" may have been meh, but the hook was catchy enough and the video was noticeable enough to at least get people talking about the single a lil bit. im not saying it was a real popular song or anything......and yea, cool breeze was '99 but it was out with the other 2 aquemini singles.

the internet wasn't tiny at all in '98. and yes, I was on years beforehand. I had internet access as far back as Prodigy.

their numbers being empty isn't an opinion. its a fact. they did their numbers but had no effect on the landscape of the game. THATS EMPTY NUMBERS.

not backing away from anything. you misquoted me. I didn't say that I didn't know kast was out for months. I said I didn't know they dropped on the same day as jay........what I didn't know for months was that they got 5 mics.

Interesting about BET - didn't know that. That's not still the case is it?

They didn't have a niche market. They were a southern hip hop group. They rapped in a style that was considered hip hop (and not niche) at the time and their beats had a typical southern feel to them. Nothing niche about the production. Your "nothing would change if they didn't exist" standard is impossibly high and irrelevant to whether or not they were niche or a "factor". Boot Camp Click was a factor in the early to mid 90s but nothing would have been different in hip hop if they didn't exist.

Sales are sales. And you are crazy if you think they've had no impact on the game. (Although your argument is stronger the farther in time you go back).

You're probably right about me misquoting you. I'll take your word for it. My bad. I think you know me enough to know I don't do that kind of shyt intentionally.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Interesting about BET - didn't know that. That's not still the case is it?

They didn't have a niche market. They were a southern hip hop group. They rapped in a style that was considered hip hop (and not niche) at the time and their beats had a typical southern feel to them. Nothing niche about the production. Your "nothing would change if they didn't exist" standard is impossibly high and irrelevant to whether or not they were niche or a "factor". Boot Camp Click was a factor in the early to mid 90s but nothing would have been different in hip hop if they didn't exist.

Sales are sales. And you are crazy if you think they've had no impact on the game. (Although your argument is stronger the farther in time you go back).

You're probably right about me misquoting you. I'll take your word for it. My bad. I think you know me enough to know I don't do that kind of shyt intentionally.

theres probably still a number of bunk towns that don't carry BET. I'd bet a few chips.

please explain the big impact that outkast had on '90s hip-hop.:popcorn:

they were pretty niche. when you can go multi-plat without ever being THAT CHIT or ever dropping THAT CHIT. then yes, theres a niche factor there. that's not a bad thing. its just something that needs to be mentioned whenever people on here or in the media try to talk that goat chit.

their beats were not typical southern. they had that arrested development country-soul vibe(that and being on laface/arista got them big with certain r&b crowds. they never sold on some str8 rap chit.) and they came out rapping like souls of mischief(which got the backpack & hippity-hoppity crowds to ride and buy they chit). funny how both those groups became obsolete after that.

BCC was mad influential on & off wax. yes, things would be different if the boot-camp clique didn't exist.

I took no offense to the misquote. I know it wasn't done purposely.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
i know you're trolling. and i know you really like "plat threads". but please stop regurgitating stuff you've heard me or art barr say and please stop pretending the beautifully soulful yet stripped down b boy funk of organized noize is anywhere near the campy crap arrested development did.

you want corny? check jermaine dupri.

southernplayalistic? straight rap shyt. ATLiens? a little cooler but straight rap shyt.

"you don't wannna fukk wit that Kast? thought 'em waz your boys!!"

Aquemini interlude that ^^^ debunks your little troll box view.

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Thought it was 97 but it was 98.....Above The Law's Legend album. Their last solid group effort that went under the radar if you wasn't checkin for em like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broccoli Rob

TTG LOL
Daps
Reppin
BX
been 15 years, but it feels like yesterday.

great year from top-to-bottom. so much going on. so many shifts & turns. it felt like 3 years in one. which is great, because it coincided with my life at the time, which felt like 3 different years molded into one as well.

ive been watching my '98 vhs tapes and it darn near brought a tear to my eyes. what happened to hip-hop?

:whoa:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
theres probably still a number of bunk towns that don't carry BET. I'd bet a few chips.

please explain the big impact that outkast had on '90s hip-hop.:popcorn:

they were pretty niche. when you can go multi-plat without ever being THAT CHIT or ever dropping THAT CHIT. then yes, theres a niche factor there. that's not a bad thing. its just something that needs to be mentioned whenever people on here or in the media try to talk that goat chit.

their beats were not typical southern. they had that arrested development country-soul vibe(that and being on laface/arista got them big with certain r&b crowds. they never sold on some str8 rap chit.) and they came out rapping like souls of mischief(which got the backpack & hippity-hoppity crowds to ride and buy they chit). funny how both those groups became obsolete after that.

BCC was mad influential on & off wax. yes, things would be different if the boot-camp clique didn't exist.

I took no offense to the misquote. I know it wasn't done purposely.

Niche, for the purposes of our discussion, means "specialized market". A niche rapper/group would be like E-40 (who appeals to that Bay Area market) and UGK in the 90s (southern). The way you are describing Outkast is the complete opposite. They appealed to fans of southern rap, got the hippity hoppity fans and even drew with the R&B market (I don't really think this was significant, I think their overwhelming sales came from hip-hop fans...but I digress). This is actually why they went multi-plat. Because they could do it all.

Also, I would agree with you that the production wasn't "typical southern" but it sounded, and was rightfully lumped in with, southern rap.

I think they popularized Braves gear - and I think Dre (in particular) had a huge impact on everything - but more so towards the end of the 90s if not strictly 2000-present.

I'd love to hear your argument on behalf of BCC re: impact. I'm a huge fan of BCC.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Here's some irony:

Outkast were the group who brought credibility to Atlantas cornball (so so def, arrested Dev, Dallas Austin, TLC) music scene.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
i know you're trolling. and i know you really like "plat threads". but please stop regurgitating stuff you've heard me or art barr say and please stop pretending the beautifully soulful yet stripped down b boy funk of organized noize is anywhere near the campy crap arrested development did.

you want corny? check jermaine dupri.

southernplayalistic? straight rap shyt. ATLiens? a little cooler but straight rap shyt.

"you don't wannna fukk wit that Kast? thought 'em waz your boys!!"

Aquemini interlude that ^^^ debunks your little troll box view.

I didn't repeat a dam thing from anybody in that post. cut the bullchit.

so youre gonna act like outkast wasn't getting those laface/arista sales back in the spcm days? youre full of chit.

I remember them whining all thru aquemini about how theyre not as popular as they wanted to be.

and yes, if its southern fans youre referring to, yes. they automatically had southern fans. they were the only home team with a big budget during their 1st 2 releases.......and still they were no scarface.

Niche, for the purposes of our discussion, means "specialized market". A niche rapper/group would be like E-40 (who appeals to that Bay Area market) and UGK in the 90s (southern). The way you are describing Outkast is the complete opposite. They appealed to fans of southern rap, got the hippity hoppity fans and even drew with the R&B market (I don't really think this was significant, I think their overwhelming sales came from hip-hop fans...but I digress). This is actually why they went multi-plat. Because they could do it all.

Also, I would agree with you that the production wasn't "typical southern" but it sounded, and was rightfully lumped in with, southern rap.

I think they popularized Braves gear - and I think Dre (in particular) had a huge impact on everything - but more so towards the end of the 90s if not strictly 2000-present.

I'd love to hear your argument on behalf of BCC re: impact. I'm a huge fan of BCC.

point is, they hit all the niche bases that mattered if you wanted to rake up sales. really everybody has niche bases. its not a bad thing - as I said before. the problem is, they were never THAT CHIT with the core rap audience. so theres certain acts that they should never be mentioned in the same breath with. that's my gripe with kast fans on here.

Here's some irony:

Outkast were the group who brought credibility to Atlantas cornball (so so def, arrested Dev, Dallas Austin, TLC) music scene.

credibility in the eyes of whom?

the boom-bappity crowd? of course they did.

Daps
I love how this Wacky D dude always posts like his opinions are law, and his views and personal experiences are universal. He speaks for every person that ever existed, and that's awesome.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Fun fact:

The term boom bap was never a thing until Krs dropped that album. Outkast debuted a year after. There was simply a hip hop crowd which Kast pioneered Atlantas prescience in.

Allllll that other shyt was sellout bullshyt aimed square at....7 year olds. Bullseye.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Hating on Outkast is his go to troll move to keep threads going. Dude was 7 when Outkast dropped.

meanwhile, you are in agreement with most of what I say about kast on the low.

I don't hate on outkast and I dam sure wasn't 7.

then you try to pull weak chit, like claiming that im jackin peoples post. in reality, when I actually do repeat something from other posters, I SHOUT THEM OUT. and you know this 1st hand. im disappointed in you for that. real spit. you should be ashamed of yourself.