Reppin
TPC
:comeon:

400 degreez
its dark and hell is hot
volume 2 hard knock life
flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood

all classics. yes.

JD had a few embarrassing tracks on there, but aside from those, this chit was a str8 banger from start-to-finish.

aquemini was just meh-meh, to be real wit'cha. solid at best.

So basically you liked the four highest selling albums of 98? Or, I should say, those were the classics to you? Your list is what I would expect from a 12 year old white kid in Iowa. :pachaha:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
400 Degreez>Aquemini.
Hot Boyz>Kast

I always got shyt for sayin that on the internet. But TBH..everybody was listening to Cash Money in 98-99..hardly anybody except for the real hip-hoppy nikkas was into Kast like that. I mean nikkas fukked with their singles but i hardly ever heard people hypin em up like that growing up.

The first 2 Kast joints are the only one's i ever heard my uncles/big homies actually listening to.

Not a fan of rapping are you?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
This guy just posted 'he got game'. Smh.

I think it's time you come to grips with being the owner of poor taste. That Jermaine album, which I got for the Preemo beat, was absolute garbage.

Skew It On The BBQ alone crushes that album.

simmer down Melvin.

I didn't like that song, but the soundtralbum was dope and the comeback was something like a big deal. that was the only video they did for the movie, iirc. so I just threw it up there.....but yea, I took it down and replaced it with the classic gem they dropped on that soundtralbum. CLASSIC GEM.

Aquemini was a gem. Just peep the songs that were on it:

Return of the G
Rosa Parks
Skew It
Aquemini
Slump
West Savannah
Da Art 1 and 2
Spottie Opie
Chonkyfire

And although it wasn't my joint - everyone seemed to love Mamacita.

How is an album with that many elite level songs 3.5 or average? People did t force themselves to like it - people liked it bc it was another amazing album from Kast. They hit the three peat.

theres not one song on there that's remotely close to being elite level.

not even remotely close.

How did you not know Aquemini was dropping? Rosa Parks was huge and he wore that ridiculous outfit in the video. Plus if you went to the record store to pick up Jay - wouldn't have Kast been right there? Also - did you not talk to anyone about hip hop for a few months or read any media?

- cuz it wasn't buzzin on the skreets, nor did they have anything out to make me check for the album personally. and it was way too much going on.

- rosa parks was like a white people hit.

- I was past the point where I would be impressed by someone wearing a ridiculous outfit. if anything, it made me turn the channel.

- I didn't buy jay's album. I heard it blaring thru the walls, so I grabbed a blank tape, went next door, and dubbed volume 2 off my friend's uncle(RIP).

- I lived & breathed hip-hop. that's the main thing I talked about. nobody cared about outkast like that. they were just another group in the midst of an extremely busy era. you either liked them or you didn't. i mean, they had a lil wave in '94-96, but by '98 it was just a bunch of avoidable hype.

So basically you liked the four highest selling albums of 98? Or, I should say, those were the classics to you? Your list is what I would expect from a 12 year old white kid in Iowa. :pachaha:

i didn't know they were the four highest selling albums. besides, im sure lauryn hill outsold all of these, if she counts. and im sure "400 degreez" didn't start moving units until '99.

i take it that the 12 year old kid in iowa must have some friends in the hood, because this is really an example of what the streets was listening to.

That Brand Nu joint was a banger. One of the few hip hop songs about humility? Yeah the beat was Jiggy, but not over the top. At the time I thought there album was AOTY.

i never heard that brand Nubian album.

beat isn't jiggy at all. str8 soul sample.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
there goes that bad taste again.

let's not lose sight of your timeline

Biv 10, TLC, So So Def....i'm guessing Snoop/Pac/BIG/Nas/Jay....No Limit, Cash Money, Ruff Ryders....Dipset.

tell me i'm lying. you know i'm not.

so, in closing, you really aren't one to dismiss "hip hoppy' acts to quote that braniac 28 Gramz or decide what is or isn't elite. you spent the majority of your rap fanship listening to generic super nikka shyt.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
there goes that bad taste again.

let's not lose sight of your timeline

Biv 10, TLC, So So Def....i'm guessing Snoop/Pac/BIG/Nas/Jay....No Limit, Cash Money, Ruff Ryders....Dipset.

tell me i'm lying. you know i'm not.

so, in closing, you really aren't one to dismiss "hip hoppy' acts to quote that braniac 28 Gramz or decide what is or isn't elite. you spent the majority of your rap fanship listening to generic super nikka shyt.

i listened to just about everybody at one point actually. and ALOT of the same stuff you listen to. you just think that everything has to be boom-bap or compatible with it. and then you like a lot of that fork-in-the-ass chit.

and if youre making a timeline of my MAIN CHIT - youre very much mistaken. and lol. i didn't even really like biggie and bad boy.:laugh:

to keep it brief, it goes:
run dmc/fat boys/beastie boys/LL cool j/whodini
onyx/death row
bone thugs/death row
no limit/cash money and i guess ruff ryders
rocafella/dipset/state property
dipset

on the other tip:
oldies, '70s soul & funk: mainly Jackson five & parliament
Michael Jackson
bobby brown/new edition
BBD/Biv 10/Hi-Five
i guess the whole TLC-kriss kross-so so def union
H-Town/ SWV /r.kelly/ uptown
i guess jagged edge

now go ahead and drop your exclusive boom-bap list mel.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
so yeah, i wasn't far off and there's a ton of bogus on both sides firmly planted there. like super bogus, laugh you out the gym shyt.

but hey, who am i to judge?

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I can't be defined by lists. I'm more able to readily speak on B.G. Than you are Lord Finesse. I can swap Bone Thugs tales where you draw a blank on Gang Starr.

Perspective homie.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I can't be defined by lists. I'm more able to readily speak on B.G. Than you are Lord Finesse. I can swap Bone Thugs tales where you draw a blank on Gang Starr.

Perspective homie.

says guy who doesn't remember "days of our livez". whats even funnier is that i was just listening to lord finesse.

if you cant be defined by a list, then i cant be defined either. i took the time to do that list when you tried to call me out. the least you can do is return the favor.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
simmer down Melvin.

I didn't like that song, but the soundtralbum was dope and the comeback was something like a big deal. that was the only video they did for the movie, iirc. so I just threw it up there.....but yea, I took it down and replaced it with the classic gem they dropped on that soundtralbum. CLASSIC GEM.

theres not one song on there that's remotely close to being elite level.

not even remotely close.

- cuz it wasn't buzzin on the skreets, nor did they have anything out to make me check for the album personally. and it was way too much going on.

- rosa parks was like a white people hit.

- I was past the point where I would be impressed by someone wearing a ridiculous outfit. if anything, it made me turn the channel.

- I didn't buy jay's album. I heard it blaring thru the walls, so I grabbed a blank tape, went next door, and dubbed volume 2 off my friend's uncle(RIP).

- I lived & breathed hip-hop. that's the main thing I talked about. nobody cared about outkast like that. they were just another group in the midst of an extremely busy era. you either liked them or you didn't. i mean, they had a lil wave in '94-96, but by '98 it was just a bunch of avoidable hype.

i didn't know they were the four highest selling albums. besides, im sure lauryn hill outsold all of these, if she counts. and im sure "400 degreez" didn't start moving units until '99.

i take it that the 12 year old kid in iowa must have some friends in the hood, because this is really an example of what the streets was listening to.

i never heard that brand Nubian album.

beat isn't jiggy at all. str8 soul sample.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on Aquemini.

Outkast wasn't a white group in 1998. No more than Pac was in 1996. They also weren't just another group.

It seems really suspicious to me that you didn't know Kast was gonna drop an album. Are you saying you have no recollection of seeing the Rosa Parks video before the album dropped? Were you still watching the video shows everyday in summer/fall 1998? Also, I guess you didn't pick up any hip hop magazine around that time? What about the radio?

I'm not saying seeing Dre in a grass skirt and shoulder pads should have got you juiced for the album. But it should have made an impression on you that led to you thinking "I guess Kast coming back out".

Lauryn Hill probably outsold all of them, but I'm not really counting her. I could be wrong that those were the top 4 highest selling albums, but I can't think of anything else. Yes, my fictional mid west white boy probably didn't pick up 400 Degreez on release date, but best believe he went back and got it. And I dou t he had any friends in the hood, those were probably the albums he heard on Rap City (I doubt he had urban radio) and read about in the magazines. Was 1998 the year that the streets and mainstream merged?

You should check the Brand Nu album.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
lets take a look at @Big Mel's timeline, shall we?

bdp/epmd/jungle brothers
hit squad/native tongue/gangstarr
wutang/gangstarr
wutang affiliates
wutang
random chit associated with premo or pete rock
:flabbynsick::krs:
q-tip comeback failure
masta killa's barber's 3rd cousin
associates of a washed premo & washed pete rock
failed q-tip comeback #13
poppa wu's greatest seminars collection
:flabbynsick::krs: album #32
rza kung fu scores dvd in blue-ray

edit: cant forget about the other genre's:
the son of ghostface killah - the beyonce tribute album
tekitha's unreleased album
tekitha's unreleased greatest hits
the son of ghostface killah - Shaolin Sissy

no offense to tekitha, btw.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on Aquemini.

Outkast wasn't a white group in 1998. No more than Pac was in 1996. They also weren't just another group.

It seems really suspicious to me that you didn't know Kast was gonna drop an album. Are you saying you have no recollection of seeing the Rosa Parks video before the album dropped? Were you still watching the video shows everyday in summer/fall 1998? Also, I guess you didn't pick up any hip hop magazine around that time? What about the radio?

I'm not saying seeing Dre in a grass skirt and shoulder pads should have got you juiced for the album. But it should have made an impression on you that led to you thinking "I guess Kast coming back out".

Lauryn Hill probably outsold all of them, but I'm not really counting her. I could be wrong that those were the top 4 highest selling albums, but I can't think of anything else. Yes, my fictional mid west white boy probably didn't pick up 400 Degreez on release date, but best believe he went back and got it. And I dou t he had any friends in the hood, those were probably the albums he heard on Rap City (I doubt he had urban radio) and read about in the magazines. Was 1998 the year that the streets and mainstream merged?

You should check the Brand Nu album.

im not sure if they got BET in iowa back then either.

lol @ comparing outkast to 2pac.:pachaha:

saying they were just another group is a bit harsh. but let me put it to you like this. outkast wasn't one of those groups that people sat around and argued about like that. they were never a factor. nor did they have any songs off that album that people sat around and talked about either......and heres the big one.....THEY DIDNT HAVE MUCH OF A PRESENCE ON THE INTERNET NEITHER.:leon:

as far as the questions go, people knew kast was back out. niccas just didn't care like that. the only jam they were involved with that school year was "watch for the hook" which was cool breeze's song. that's it. rosa parks was just some chit that was on the radio. the other 2 singles were nice rap city cuts but nobody wrote home about them chits. goodie mob had better singles actually - and I completely forgot that they dropped an album that year.

sure they may have did numbers.......empty numbers by a glorified niche group.

Last edited by a moderator: