1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
aquemini wasn't even the best Atlanta album that year.

Jermaine dupri's life in 1472 >>>> aquemini

no joke.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
this thread

:blessed:

no garbage posters neither. str8 quality.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I'd say it's like that last episode of Seinfeld, but Seinfeld may be Dustin Hoffman status to you!

:comeon:

Capital Punishment was #1 . NORE was a very distant 2nd to me. Moment of Truth was ok too. Everything else was weak as hell.

400 degreez
its dark and hell is hot
volume 2 hard knock life
flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood

all classics. yes.

:rudy:

:trash:
:pacspit:
:rudy:
:pacspit:

JD had a few embarrassing tracks on there, but aside from those, this chit was a str8 banger from start-to-finish.

aquemini was just meh-meh, to be real wit'cha. solid at best.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
This guy just posted 'he got game'. Smh.

I think it's time you come to grips with being the owner of poor taste. That Jermaine album, which I got for the Preemo beat, was absolute garbage.

Skew It On The BBQ alone crushes that album.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
400 Degreez>Aquemini.
Hot Boyz>Kast

I always got shyt for sayin that on the internet. But TBH..everybody was listening to Cash Money in 98-99..hardly anybody except for the real hip-hoppy nikkas was into Kast like that. I mean nikkas fukked with their singles but i hardly ever heard people hypin em up like that growing up.

The first 2 Kast joints are the only one's i ever heard my uncles/big homies actually listening to.

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the one thing I remember most about 98 was the album ads in the source with the lists of 567 fukking guest appearances on an album i.e Jermaines wack ass shyt, Mack 10s album, e40 element of surprise. I think some of these albums even had the guest appearances listed on the fukkin cover. shyt was a fukkin JOKE.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Capital Punishment was #1 . NORE was a very distant 2nd to me. Moment of Truth was ok too. Everything else was weak as hell.

You thought NORE was that strong huh? I spent a lot of time with disc in 98, but its an album that I haven't gone back to in a decade.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Truth.

I played that X album pretty much for like a year straight. Dude couldn't miss back then. First three albums were serious!

As for 'Kast, I copped their first three all on the first days they dropped. But didn't play Aquemini nearly as much as I did ATLiens and the first joint. It was reviewed well, and I remember people almost forcin' themselves on the album. It was nowhere near the level of their first two.

Aquemini was a gem. Just peep the songs that were on it:

Return of the G
Rosa Parks
Skew It
Aquemini
Slump
West Savannah
Da Art 1 and 2
Spottie Opie
Chonkyfire

And although it wasn't my joint - everyone seemed to love Mamacita.

How is an album with that many elite level songs 3.5 or average? People did t force themselves to like it - people liked it bc it was another amazing album from Kast. They hit the three peat.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:dahell:

niccas didn't watch that chitty-chit. we watched RAP CITY. besides, I didn't even know there was a TRL in '98. I thought they were still airing that other show. I think it was called "mtv live".

and as far as outkast goes, I didn't even know they dropped on the same day as jay. matter fact; iirc, I didn't even know they got 5 mics until like months after the fact. definition of no impact.

the only moment that came outta that album was rosa parks poppin up out the woodwork to criticize them for using her name. and that was only a moment because ALOT of people(including myself) ignorantly kind of assumed that she died in the '80s or something. SHOCKING.

"its all good" and "flesh of my flesh" a 2 of the best tracks to you?

meh.

how can an album be rated highly based on content?

like how does that even work?

if I rap about pencils, do I get a higher rating than I would've gotten if I rapped about keyboards?

were you alive in '99?

because dmx was on top of that year as well.

and you couldn't drop weak albums and still be considered elite back then. just ask his co-star.

How did you not know Aquemini was dropping? Rosa Parks was huge and he wore that ridiculous outfit in the video. Plus if you went to the record store to pick up Jay - wouldn't have Kast been right there? Also - did you not talk to anyone about hip hop for a few months or read any media?