1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
So I take it you think Flesh is better than Aquemini as well? I can see an argument that Aquemini ain't classic - but it's 4.5 at a minimum.

At this point I need you to list the classic tracks off Flesh. I must be missing something.

no diss but I don't toss around the "classic song" term as freely as you do. FOMFBOMB was basically a flawless banger from start to finish.

aquemini is just a random ass album. average verses, average beats. just all-around regular at best and a chore to listen to. people on here get gassed off that 5-mic rating. coincidentally, the most irrelevant 5-mic rating of the '90s.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
That Marilyn Manson joint on X was flawlessly banging. All those devoid of humanity keyboard riffs really are chicken soup for the soul.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
You're not an authority to me at all. Talib is boring as fukk and a run-of-the-mil talent. Nobody cares about the gangstarr/scarface record. :manny:

You mean you just don't know shyt about this culture and like project pat said.
A real nikka keep his mouth shut,if he don't know.

You already do not know, I have never a day in my life championed the turned sellout talib, either.
Ol rappin ass rap fan ass nikka,...stfu.
You not on no level to even respond to me, like smush parker trying to confront Kobe.

Art Barr

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
You mean you just don't know shyt about this culture and like project pat said.
A real nikka keep his mouth shut,if he don't know.

You already do not know, I have never a day in my life championed the turned sellout talib, either.
Ol rappin ass rap fan ass nikka,...stfu.
You not on no level to even respond to me, like smush parker trying to confront Kobe.

Art Barr
if you really feel that way you shouldnt of addressed me in the 1st place.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That Marilyn Manson joint on X was flawlessly banging. All those devoid of humanity keyboard riffs really are chicken soup for the soul.

probably the weakest song on there, yet it still gets play.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
no diss but I don't toss around the "classic song" term as freely as you do. FOMFBOMB was basically a flawless banger from start to finish.

aquemini is just a random ass album. average verses, average beats. just all-around regular at best and a chore to listen to. people on here get gassed off that 5-mic rating. coincidentally, the most irrelevant 5-mic rating of the '90s.

Truth.

I played that X album pretty much for like a year straight. Dude couldn't miss back then. First three albums were serious!

As for 'Kast, I copped their first three all on the first days they dropped. But didn't play Aquemini nearly as much as I did ATLiens and the first joint. It was reviewed well, and I remember people almost forcin' themselves on the album. It was nowhere near the level of their first two.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Truth.

I played that X album pretty much for like a year straight. Dude couldn't miss back then. First three albums were serious!

As for 'Kast, I copped their first three all on the first days they dropped. But didn't play Aquemini nearly as much as I did ATLiens and the first joint. It was reviewed well, and I remember people almost forcin' themselves on the album. It was nowhere near the level of their first two.

I remember my pops bought the X album for my birthday. I listened to it once, but then he takes it and keeps it in his car for months. this was during his brief rap resurgence in '99 courtesy of dmx, master p and he couldn't stop playing that krayzie bone/terror squad song.

yea, I think the source just gave kast 5 because they tried to give them 5 when SPCM dropped.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Actually 3.5 is the only other mark you can give blackstar.
Talib, is the only reason why I would see that album not getting a classic everywhere.
Yet, 3.5 is always the go to rating.
for a record that is more than likely Classic and reviewed wrong
Or 3.5, is always the record revised via jay, revision propaganda.
That is boosted to a classic from 3.5.

Most of the mid to late 90's classic records were reviewed erroneously, as 3.5.
Which is why you will never see me give a record that mark, in general.

I will either give it, its just due as a classic, originally.
Or I will never rate it 3.5.

3.5, is the classic standard bearer for erroneously reviewed records in rap as a law.
Which is why if I see anyone giving it that mark, ever.
I know they are full of shyt, to mis-informed.
Plus, lack the real knowledge of hip hop culturally to review rap records.
for me to give you a 3.5.
You got to be making obfcl or resurrection type records and I know nobody is making those types of erroneously reviewed classic records.
Blackstar is a classic moment in the original holy grail/knights of the templar of the culture.
When the culture was supposed to be properly defended.
It is one of the few records where a 3.5 is justifiable.
Not to many rap albums have come out and been 3.5's since the late nineties.
For example,...
Future dirty sprite is a 3.5 record.
Only off the fact future lyrically does not rap well enough.
Scarface emeritus is a possible classic respectfully.
I would honor a 3.5 for after this time period, too.

It is only a few records to get that 3.5 mark and realistically be that grade of material.

Art Barr

If you make a classic,....
I will review it as such.

Art Barr

Meh. It was kinda corny in spots. Children's story and b boys whatever...and I can only really call a few songs outstanding. 3.5 mics is a fair rating.

Yeah. Those are the records that I was thinking of. Hater Players is meh too Definitely not a perfect album. But still, the records I originally listed are all top flight material, plus Astronomy, Twice inna Lifetime. Theres only eleven songs on the album. So they got 8 out of 11. 6 of the 8 being elite level.

To me the best song is Thieves In The Night. They just bodied that record.

There wasn't an album in 98 with more substance (maybe MOT). There wasn't a more intelligent record. Only Pun's album was better from a technical standpoint. The album is 4.5 just based on content and classic due to impact.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Like, Black Star had to live up to Fortified Live/2000 Seasons & Universal Magnetic IMO.

Only a handful of songs were on that level to me

this,....
Those records set the bar so high for themselves.
Plus,talib has no moment on blackstar.
That is seeing mister man verse from fortified live.
On top of the foreshadow, of being outrapped there and not really having the full skillset to outdo those records.
So, blackstar was already fighting an uphill battle quality wise for a classic.
What made that record memorable was the draw from fortified live and universal magnetic.
Both all time greats,...
Plus the best moments of a lackluster jiggy filled year outside of the delayed krs album predating it in 97.

I still remember cop'n magazine vinyl inserts in doubles for that blackstar promo though.
Truely one of the better throwback moments for vinyl/record collecting at the time.
That and the bjork ten incher's were sacred items for me at that time.

Art Barr

Ok I get it. It was an expectations thing for you. Mos and Kweli didn't come on my radar until Lyricist Lounge 2 (I guess technically the first time I heard Mos was on Stakes Is High but he didn't make much of an impression on me) so I didn't have that issue.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

No diss taken. It's tough to categorize album cuts as classics anyway (unless they make their way onto radio). I listed the standouts to me for one reason or another.

Here are the songs that are worthwhile from FOMFBOMB:

Bring Your Whole Crew
It's All Good
Slippin
Flesh of My Flesh...

I honestly don't remember the last two songs. I think I liked Heat too.

The rest was filler.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One of the GOAT moments of Aquemini, is hearing Carson Daly say it beated out Hard Knock Life; even though both albums went Gold that week :manny:

And, don't act like you didn't watch TRL, when you knew one of your favorite was going to be on :skip:

X had the entire game padlocked :ohlawd:

And, even though Judgement Day didn't really meet the great expectations, Meth also had a crazy buzz that year:myman:

However, nobody dominiated 98, like the Queen Lauryn did:

[ ]

:to:

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
One of the GOAT moments of Aquemini, is hearing Carson Daly say it beated out Hard Knock Life; even though both albums went Gold that week :manny:

And, don't act like you didn't watch TRL, when you knew one of your favorite was going to be on :skip:

:dahell:

niccas didn't watch that chitty-chit. we watched RAP CITY. besides, I didn't even know there was a TRL in '98. I thought they were still airing that other show. I think it was called "mtv live".

and as far as outkast goes, I didn't even know they dropped on the same day as jay. matter fact; iirc, I didn't even know they got 5 mics until like months after the fact. definition of no impact.

the only moment that came outta that album was rosa parks poppin up out the woodwork to criticize them for using her name. and that was only a moment because ALOT of people(including myself) ignorantly kind of assumed that she died in the '80s or something. SHOCKING.

No diss taken. It's tough to categorize album cuts as classics anyway (unless they make their way onto radio). I listed the standouts to me for one reason or another.

Here are the songs that are worthwhile from FOMFBOMB:

Bring Your Whole Crew
It's All Good
Slippin
Flesh of My Flesh...

I honestly don't remember the last two songs. I think I liked Heat too.

The rest was filler.

"its all good" and "flesh of my flesh" a 2 of the best tracks to you?

meh.

The album is 4.5 just based on content and classic due to impact.

how can an album be rated highly based on content?

like how does that even work?

if I rap about pencils, do I get a higher rating than I would've gotten if I rapped about keyboards?

Flesh of my Flesh was fukking awful. X career began and died in the same year.

were you alive in '99?

because dmx was on top of that year as well.

and you couldn't drop weak albums and still be considered elite back then. just ask his co-star.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:dahell:

niccas didn't watch that chitty-chit. we watched RAP CITY. besides, I didn't even know there was a TRL in '98. I thought they were still airing that other show. I think it was called "mtv live".

and as far as outkast goes, I didn't even know they dropped on the same day as jay. matter fact; iirc, I didn't even know they got 5 mics until like months after the fact. definition of no impact.

the only moment that came outta that album was rosa parks poppin up out the woodwork to criticize them for using her name. and that was only a moment because ALOT of people(including myself) ignorantly kind of assumed that she died in the '80s or something. SHOCKING.

"its all good" and "flesh of my flesh" a 2 of the best tracks to you?

meh.

how can an album be rated highly based on content?

like how does that even work?

if I rap about pencils, do I get a higher rating than I would've gotten if I rapped about keyboards?

were you alive in '99?

because dmx was on top of that year as well.

and you couldn't drop weak albums and still be considered elite back then. just ask his co-star.

By content I meant the quality of the songs.