154,000 low-income homes drop Internet service after U.S. Congress kills discount program — as Republicans called the program “wasteful”

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
I’m about is anti republican as it gets and as someone who has been without a home let alone an internet connection I never felt entitled to free internet.

I used public wifi and sat in library to handle my business. I don’t have a problem with this.
The thing is if you don't have internet access you HAVE to own at least a cellphone with data. There's almost no way around it now to conduct business. You need a phone for any MFA for login access for finances, work, pay bills, etc. Im curious as to if a large percentage of these folks on this program were from rural America. A lot of times people get this idea in their head that this stuff has a direct effect on urban environments but it's likely affecting the people they are trying to get support from.

Like you said you handled business at a local library but if you live in rural Wyoming or Kansas where the library is 2 hours away...that's when those policies backfire on them

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Current admin didn't do enough to protect the bill. Biden admin nor congress dems didn't fight hard enough. That's what he was voted in to do. That is what they were voted into do. Not fight for lsrael and Ukraine. This is what that "negotiation" with Republicans netted.
look at this buffoon dance. y'all dudes are sick.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
r6zxbbk1n0881.jpg
the fact that we have people who function like this and think they are normal is the scary shyt.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Feel like these companies will try to get it back. Y’all ever tried to willingly drop a cable/internet service? They will literally beg you to not do it. Man I went a few months without internet a few years ago and a Spectrum dude showed up to my house to get me to sign up. So many people dropping service will only hurt them.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
People have such an ignorant knowledge of political structure.
It's always the same ignorant people who blindly follow religions.

America has always been socially/racially engineered to keep Black Americans in the lowest rung of society.

America also is engineered to keep the overwhelming majority of Americans(regardless of race) in a lower class.

BOTH parties are complicit in this!

The fact that all of America does not have universal internet service is pathetic. Red and Blue states should be ashamed of themselves.

Providing a lil govt. discount for overpriced internet wasn't shyt. The main people sounding off about this is the internet companies like Spectrum. Because that is a loss of revenue.

Last edited:

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
Republicans are nasty bytches

Biden admin dropped the ball on this. Two things can be true simultaneously.

Put messaging out on how Republicans are preventing a popular assistance program from being renewed. BE OFFENSIVE INSTEAD OF REACTIONARY. Be predators instead of victims. This is why people are frustrated with Democrats. We know who Republicans are thats why we vote for Dems in the first place to counter their bullshyt. If you can't counteract their bullshyt then what the fukk are you in office for?

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
They've convinced people that government doesn't work and then every single time a program works to help people they sabotage it on purpose

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Internet should be a utility

The government already paid the providers to run cables to these residences

The providers have a government sponsored monopoly

Internet should be free for all, its a foundational part of our economy and provides one of our main growth drivers and exports in the form of entrepreneurial internet ventures (eg. Facebook)

But this wasnt even free. It was discounted. And they took it away.

For shame..

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs in here caping for this program being gutted, or Democrats are really something their asses. That said, I think there's actually a solid chance this ends up getting worked out.

First reason would be that for services like this, companies tend to like government subsidies that support these programs. It's effectively a double dip. You get access to subscribers you might not have had, and even get the advantage of having the government compensate you for not having to chase down eventual non subscribers for late fees, and eventually selling off accounts to collection agencies. You also get the benefit of counting those customers as subscribers, which obviously helps the true goal of all public companies: providing value to shareholders.

Second reason is that logical next question that someone would ask when this eventually becomes a hot button issue in some midterm cycle or something is "Why in the fukk is broadband Internet so expensive?" That's a line of questioning I don't think anyone in that industry wants anyone truthfully engaging in.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
You clearly are an agent and have never lived in Africa.

You simply don't get off code and make it plain obvious that you are a plant.

How am i off code when i seen articles where people overseas and here in america built their own fukking internet you fukking idiot...:what: what the fukk are you talking about there are places where's there no internet companies no fiber lines no nothing... so miss me with your plant shyt ive been here since 2014 i aint no new poster... check my fukking history before you make lying ass statements like that... :dahell: