13 Reasons Why - Season 1 Official Thread

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
And I'm bout half way through, but I'm so frustrated with this nikka Clay. I just can't grasp a nikka having so many layup opportunities to get with the girl he's in love with and being so oblivious. Regardless of the social awkwardness i figure as many times as the ball gets padded tho you eventually your gonna shoot your shot. That and this nikka taking 3 months to listen to 6 fukking cassette tapes that should realistically have him so intrigued that he probably wouldn't even sleep that night from binging through them. shyt got me like:mindblown:. Yet I'm gonna keep watching because i want to know what the end game is, but gotdayum this shyt is dragging along.

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
And I'm bout half way through, but I'm so frustrated with this nikka Clay. I just can't grasp a nikka having so many layup opportunities to get with the girl he's in love with and being so oblivious. Regardless of the social awkwardness i figure as many times as the ball gets padded tho you eventually your gonna shoot your shot. That and this nikka taking 3 months to listen to 6 fukking cassette tapes that should realistically have him so intrigued that he probably wouldn't even sleep that night from binging through them. shyt got me like:mindblown:. Yet I'm gonna keep watching because i want to know what the end game is, but gotdayum this shyt is dragging along.
Lol they didn't drag out him listening to the tapes so long in the book, they did that to pad out the show into 13 episodes

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Lol they didn't drag out him listening to the tapes so long in the book, they did that to pad out the show into 13 episodes
biggest issue with the show BY FAR, is them forcing like 2 or 3 "reasons" or conflicts that dont make sense. It makes those particular characters feel guilty for no reason and makes Hannah look like even worse of a character (I fukking hate Hannah by the end of the series right before she gets the pipe, then I cant hate her cause that was some depressing ass shyt)

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't go to a white high school. For those that have went to one do the black students hang with each other or mostly intermingle with everyone else? Watching all these black people that ain't really fukking with each other seems weird as hell to me.

My senior class was like 850 or so people, out of that there was only like 30 black people and we all hung out with each mostly but also Hispanics as well. Hardly hung out with the white people except for those that were on our bball team

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Edit: yes I'm late as fukk.

This show is such an interesting social experiment.

We've got grown ass people looking at a (fictional) teenager who, in a mind so mentally disturbed she's considering suicide, tries to figure out why she's going to commit that and responding to it as if y'all were on a fukking tape.

It's just her perspective, one we know, at least from Zach's and Clay's tapes, isn't entirely accurate. She made these tapes when she was at her lowest point, OF COURSE it's going to be uneven and confusing and emotional and possibly overstated/understated on the right/wrong people in her life. That's kind of the sad point, because she committed that it's now impossible to dig into her psycho more. The tapes and people's memories of her are all we have.

The mental health thing: the scary thing about depression is that you might not realize you're stuck until it's too late. I can guarantee you that y'all dudes calling her weak and whatever have shyt that y'all feel emotional/traumatized by that the next man would consider WEAK. Plenty of characters say that they think she wasn't mentally healthy. Even the only other character who's perspective we get, Clay, has a history of anxiety/meds. It was addressed, even it's seeming absence is addressing it.

Actual show: actors did their things, it's hard to buy them as teenagers due to some of their looks/dialogue. It reminded me A LOT of that game LIFE IS STRANGE.

I really hated the way it ended, I don't mind it going into a second season - but the last 15 minutes of Episode 13 are just so sloppy and rushed, it really detracted from what I thought was an overall well told/paced story.

Definitely agree that we were :gucci: after seeing Clay's tape, not so much that Hannah made the tape (this made sense) but before that all the characters were so smug on that "what about YOUR tape :ufdup:" shyt. If I waa Clay I'd go back to them now like "Nikka, what about my tape? :mindblown:".

The counselor's role is also so interesting. He's the only character who was never intentionally mean to Hannah, but he's the only real adult and should've overruled Hannah. If you KNOW something's wrong you don't let a fukking kid tell you what to do/what not to do. I think he was a good-hearted dude who was a bit in over his head. I DO think that he would've done more, but he just never assumed Hannah would kill herself 2 hours later.

Rest of them all fukked up somehow, someway. It's Hannah'a perspective so there's no right or wrong, yes her parents played a bigger part in her life than say a Zach or a Ryan, but we don't really know whether Hanna realized that. Think about this: she not only killed herself in her own house, knowing her parents would find her, but she made it a point to ask her mom for tapes and stole razors from the store.

In some fukked up way, she punished her parents worse than anyone - she also kept them out of the loop by not leaving notes and keeping them out of the tapes.

Show was incredible brehs. Ending is the only major detractor for me, that and the way people perceived Clay's tape. That was sloppy ass writing to keep "us" hooked.

Sensitive Christian Grey

The Fisher King
Daps
Reppin
Welsh Hills

We've got grown ass people looking at a (fictional) teenager who, in a mind so mentally disturbed she's considering suicide, tries to figure out why she's going to commit that and responding to it as if y'all were on a fukking tape.

It's just her perspective, one we know, at least from Zach's and Clay's tapes, isn't entirely accurate. She made these tapes when she was at her lowest point, OF COURSE it's going to be uneven and confusing and emotional and possibly overstated/understated on the right/wrong people in her life. That's kind of the sad point, because she committed that it's now impossible to dig into her psycho more. The tapes and people's memories of her are all we have.

The mental health thing: the scary thing about depression is that you might not realize you're stuck until it's too late. I can guarantee you that y'all dudes calling her weak and whatever have shyt that y'all feel emotional/traumatized by that the next man would consider WEAK. Plenty of characters say that they think she wasn't mentally healthy. Even the only other character who's perspective we get, Clay, has a history of anxiety/meds. It was addressed, even it's seeming absence is addressing it.

Actual show: actors did their things, it's hard to buy them as teenagers due to some of their looks/dialogue. It reminded me A LOT of that game LIFE IS STRANGE.

I really hated the way it ended, I don't mind it going into a second season - but the last 15 minutes of Episode 13 are just so sloppy and rushed, it really detracted from what I thought was an overall well told/paced story.

Definitely agree that we were :gucci: after seeing Clay's tape, not so much that Hannah made the tape (this made sense) but before that all the characters were so smug on that "what about YOUR tape :ufdup:" shyt. If I waa Clay I'd go back to them now like "Nikka, what about my tape? :mindblown:".

The counselor's role is also so interesting. He's the only character who was never intentionally mean to Hannah, but he's the only real adult and should've overruled Hannah. If you KNOW something's wrong you don't let a fukking kid tell you what to do/what not to do. I think he was a good-hearted dude who was a bit in over his head. I DO think that he would've done more, but he just never assumed Hannah would kill herself 2 hours later.

Rest of them all fukked up somehow, someway. It's Hannah'a perspective so there's no right or wrong, yes her parents played a bigger part in her life than say a Zach or a Ryan, but we don't really know whether Hanna realized that. Think about this: she not only killed herself in her own house, knowing her parents would find her, but she made it a point to ask her mom for tapes and stole razors from the store.

In some fukked up way, she punished her parents worse than anyone - she also kept them out of the loop by not leaving notes and keeping them out of the tapes.

Show was incredible brehs. Ending is the only major detractor for me, that and the way people perceived Clay's tape. That was sloppy ass writing to keep "us" hooked.

Damn true :russ::russ:

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation

I agree with this but I also this that there's a case somewhat about Ryan. Ryan was an a$$hole... but that who he was at all times he was never mean about it that was just his personality. When he published Hannah's poem I don't think he meant any real harm... I think he really wanted her poetry skills to blossom but ended up in disaster for Hannah as a result.

I can somewhat understand why his name was on the tapes but to me he's the only one that I would debate that outside Clay (I posted my theory of Clay's name on the tapes earlier in the thread) that Ryan could have been left off the tapes.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Telling a rape victim to either take action against her accuser or get over it ain't exactly nice breh...especially for an adult with education and training.

Clay didn't do anything except fall for her while not being an a$$hole. She said herself that she was to blame for that situation.