13 Reasons Why - Season 1 Official Thread

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I don't think he fully understood all that and IIRC he offered to go to the cops and I know he offered to off my man. His main issue really seemed to be keeping her from finding out and then trying to make it up to her after the fact.
Oh no, I know he doesn't understand. I thought you were asking for yourself lol.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yo is Sheri really about to take a charge for that crash though? I mean she is on tape. Wild shyt is 99% of people in that situation, myself included, would've left the scene.

Gonna tag her with a hit and run, careless or reckless driving, while Jeff's family kills them pockets in civil court.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Yo is Sheri really about to take a charge for that crash though? I mean she is on tape. Wild shyt is 99% of people in that situation, myself included, would've left the scene.

Gonna tag her with a hit and run, careless or reckless driving, while Jeff's family kills them pockets in civil court.
I tried not to scrutinize that scene too hard because you can justify her decision by saying she was drunk, scared of getting in trouble, and a teenager but it really feels like there was a simple solution to her problem. She could have simply called the police and reported the sign was down, without mentioning that it was her that knocked it over. She even mentioned that she would call when she got home, but she had a cell phone, why not just call right then and there, give the address, and bounce:ld:

It seemed like the obvious compromise between Sherri saying "My dad will kill me if he finds out" and Hannah saying "But we have to call the police" but neither arrived at it:francis:

But again young, drunk, and nervous so I let it slide.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word another drawback I had about this show is that for a 13 episode series, with each episode lasting 1 hour, we rarely, if ever,see Hannah go through prolonged periods of depression. You see a snippet of sadness at the coffee shop. You see her cry at her locker. She has these outbursts of emotion. But throughout the entire show she's a relatively happy teenager. This meshes well with the public consensus that her suicide is a shock, but it plays terribly when you realize that we saw absolutely no pain and sadness from her until AFTER she walks out of her high school that last time.

So we miss the agony of her sitting outside Tyler's bedroom. We miss the slow walks to the gas station. We completely miss the broken spirited Hannah.

Could it have been shot differently? I'm not so sure. The fukkn show is already 13 god damn hours long.

To really capture those moods it would have to be a show like Degrassi and not a mini-series.

Or they could have cut the "I know what you did last summer/Pretty little liars" crap and not put so much focus on the Degrassi (or really every other teen show)esque story lines. There was a lot of time devoted to Clay and Bruno making faces at each other as well :pachaha:. If they were really trying to delve into suicide in a real way they could have put more focus on the real shyt and not the clichés.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I tried not to scrutinize that scene too hard because you can justify her decision by saying she was drunk, scared of getting in trouble, and a teenager but it really feels like there was a simple solution to her problem. She could have simply called the police and reported the sign was down, without mentioning that it was her that knocked it over. She even mentioned that she would call when she got home, but she had a cell phone, why not just call right then and there, give the address, and bounce:ld:

But again young, drunk, and nervous so I let it slide.

lol yeah except it's actually the law. You can't hit anything and leave without repercussions. Drunk drivers do it though because a hit and run involving private proper is an easier charge to eat than a DUI plus the additional charges. Refusing a breathalyzer is a charge in itself. I've walked up on many vacant cars after they've crashed.

I remember one time a neighbor of mine lost control of his car and crashed into the yard of another neighbors. Mind you dude LIVES ON THE BLOCK. Everyone - I'm talking old ass adults - tried to get him out the car and help him out on some "we ain't see shyt if you can make it home" shyt. Before he can get out the cops showed up. Party dun! Boy had to take that L on his own.

I want to let her slide too, but she's def seeing real ramifications :to:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
lol yeah except it's actually the law. You can't hit anything and leave without repercussions. Drunk drivers do it though because a hit and run involving private proper is an easier charge to eat than a DUI plus the additional charges. Refusing a breathalyzer is a charge in itself. I've walked up on many vacant cars after they've crashed.

I remember one time a neighbor of mine lost control of his car and crashed into the yard of another neighbors. Mind you dude LIVES ON THE BLOCK. Everyone - I'm talking old ass adults - tried to get him out the car and help him out on some "we ain't see shyt if you can make it home" shyt. Before he can get out the cops showed up. Party dun! Boy had to take that L on his own.

I want to let her slide too, but she's def seeing real ramifications :to:
Word, but I'm not talking about her sticking around. Just calling anonymously, reporting that a sign is down, and dipping. It's in essence the same exact thing she said she would do when she got home, but just doing it sooner.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Word, but I'm not talking about her sticking around. Just calling anonymously, reporting that a sign is down, and dipping. It's in essence the same exact thing she said she would do when she got home, but just doing it sooner.

Yeah she could've done that. But that's why I don't believe/like Hannah with respect to this situation. Like Jessica's rape, she gets to take the easy way out by pointing the finger after her death. Why do you have the right to snitch on Sheri and hold her accountable for something you didn't have the strength to do yourself when you were alive? Killing yourself as punishment is not holding yourself accountable, it's really not. It's an escape and an excuse for not dealing with a tough decision. There is a difference between feeling you're responsible because of emotional baggage and actually stepping up to the plate, taking responsibility, and dealing with the consequences of your actions (or lack thereof).

If Hannah was capable of holding herself accountable, she could've, at any time, anonymously reported that she hit the stop sign, she could've said she was in the car with someone that hit the sign, or she could've just said she was there the night of and tried to call the cops. All of these actions would've cleared Jeff of wrongdoing. She did none of these because like Sheri she was scared. But yet she has the right to cast judgement?

There is nothing that would've brought him back from the dead.

Hannah never has to snitch on Sheri. Hannah does so because Hannah wants Sheri to feel the same level of suicidal depression that she does. Which is crazy right? Because she thinks that approaching Sheri in the hallway to talk about something that could send them to jail is a proper and appropriate response. She has no idea how Sheri feels about the situation. She doesn't know if Sheri goes home and cries herself to sleep. She just assumes that because Sheri isn't an emotional wreck on the outside, that she's not an emotional wreck on the inside - in effect doing to Sheri what everyone does to her!

Cowardly.

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
Word another drawback I had about this show is that for a 13 episode series, with each episode lasting 1 hour, we rarely, if ever,see Hannah go through prolonged periods of depression. You see a snippet of sadness at the coffee shop. You see her cry at her locker. She has these outbursts of emotion. But throughout the entire show she's a relatively happy teenager. This meshes well with the public consensus that her suicide is a shock, but it plays terribly when you realize that we saw absolutely no pain and sadness from her until AFTER she walks out of her high school that last time.

So we miss the agony of her sitting outside Tyler's bedroom. We miss the slow walks to the gas station. We completely miss the broken spirited Hannah.

Could it have been shot differently? I'm not so sure. The fukkn show is already 13 god damn hours long.

To really capture those moods it would have to be a show like Degrassi and not a mini-series.

I think the rape scene sold it...at least for me. Hannah looked dead already while it was happening. It was incredibly disturbing :picard:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I think the rape scene sold it...at least for me. Hannah looked dead already while it was happening. It was incredibly disturbing :picard:
Oh nah I'm not saying the rape scene isn't heavy. I'm saying that you actually miss out on a lot of raw emotion because only 40 mns are dedicated to post-rape Hannah. Put it this way, when she's getting raped, you don't need any narrative explaining how she feels. When she gets in the bathtub, there is no narrative explaining how she feels.

Then you realize the entire story is told from the perspective of post-rape Hannah yet nothing in her voice comes close to expressing as much.

Remember when she tried to tell Clay about her role in Jeff's death. They have to play the tape narrating her emotions during the scene. She's crying for damn near half her scenes, but only 3 scenes actually tap into that fear and raw emotion. The rest play out like chick flicks.

I think that's turning people off/not making them take some of the events seriously.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't think I'm buying Clay as socially awkward. Remember this is 2017. He's a little bit of a nerd but he still look like a kid who'd have rich hipster broads droppin their drawls :manny:

So far this Alex kid seems like the most non-cliche character probably, he's a dude who I think I knew in real life, that kid with his own style who can literally fit in with any social group, prolly can fukk a cheerleader and the next week he's fukkin an old hippie nature walk artsy chick :pachaha:

That one rich cac on the team dude looks like he's no less than 45 :mjlol:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
And shyt we have already seen 13 Reasons Why S2 on Degrassi.

latest