106 & Park officially cancelled this Friday 12 year run over.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I gotta say in hindsight, it was a good show for the younger crowd... every generation has their specific music show for that era that they'll always remember. There's a lotta people (esp. in their early-to-mid-20s) who grew up watching 106 and were in the crowd and got to see artists of their era, can't be mad at it.

BUT... like some people in the thread have said, everything ends eventually, and it was time. 106 (or any video show for that matter) isn't that viable nor a priority in this era. When there's stuff like Youtube, and a bunch of other ways to watch videos, AND videos aren't as big a deal as they used to be anyway... video shows aren't the priority they were 12 years ago, or even 5 years ago for that matter. It was bound to happen someday.

I wasn't even a big fan of the show like that, cause it was more geared toward kids and teens and I was older... but I do see how relevant it was and how it grew to be BET's central video show. If BET had a show like that in the '90s (nah, Teen Summit's not the same thing), I woulda been in the crowd/watching for sure, so I respect it for what it was. But it's also been wack juice for a long time, so it's time to wrap it up. Just like Bandstand ended, Soul Train ended, Yo! and Rap City ended, Video Soul ended, and TRL ended. Salute.

R.I.P. to the days of video shows being a relevant part of TV programming tho'... 106 was sorta the last remnant of that. Everything else from those years is gone.

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
Was watching it back when they started in 2000 with AJ and Free. Even audience in the beginning in were a little order(18-25) than the typical crowds now you see on that show(14-17), so you can get a gist of how the show headed. After MTV pulled the plug on TRL, a void had to be filled for little kids to run to and watch videos.

The early 106 & Park was greatness (2000-2004). Aj & Free were great hosts and freestyle friday was grand back then.

...but on how the show turned out from since then...good riddance!

EDIT

They aint canceling this is, smh!

I wish they could bring back,
BET Uncut
Notarized
An R&B segment, dedicated to strictly R&B like Donnie Simpson special back in the day.
Midnight Love needs to comeback!

pbconnect

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
GTA
Video Soul Cancelled
Replaced with BET Unreal

BET Unreal Cancelled
Replaced it with Planet Groove

Planet Groove Cancelled
Replaced it with 106 And Park

106 And Park Cancelled
More Wendy Williams reruns(probably)

Sad shyt!!

Edit: There getting new hosts on October 1. I'll believe it when I see it.

This is when Toronto first got BET.....man I miss Rachel and Planet Groove....:to:...and I miss Big Lez' sexy ass....

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk BET after they moved to New York, I miss old BET so much, they need to stop fukking around and give us a whole week of classic BET. Video Soul, Rap City(Before Tigger), the Caribbean show(with Rachel), Planet Groove, and Teen Summit.

It's only right:to:

Coach Gully

Much Respect
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey Management
I'm not going to come in like some hypocritical a$$hole who pretended they never once watched 106 and park or BET for that matter when they were younger :rudy: but this could of been the death of 106 and the making of something even better but I don't think BET has the heart, intention or know how to do that at this point.

Yeah you can look up anything you want on Youtube but shows like this is how you knew what was popping and new. Imagine if Dipset came up in the current youtube generation or missing the classic moments in hip hop where you had to watch on TV, some of you are missing the point.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's not the point. It's not about the accessibility of shyt. I can get the news from the Internet. Does that mean they should stop putting out newspapers? I can go get a kindle. Does that mean they should dead the book? I can listen to a song on Youtube, Vevo, etc. any time I want. Does that mean FM stations need to dead the music format?

Shows like 106 & Park served a purpose even if you outgrew it. It was good promo. If you saw a video on TV you know somebody at the label was doing their job when it came to promotions. Not that I wanna put 106 on the level of Soul Train or anything like that culturally, but shows like that gave you a glimpse into what was popular, what kids liked, what styles people were getting into. Same with TRL (even bigger impact there).

All things come to an end, but even shows like American Bandstand eventually gave way to something else. That doesn't seem to be the case with BET. It's just gonna be replaced with more replays of Prison Song and Belly 2. BET's basically My9 without news. Looking back, we had it good because kids now have nothing really to gain from TV.

Gotta agree with you on this, yeah the internet is cool and all, but it's harder for artist to really breakthrough, and gain a real audience these days. virtually no real music TV shows, and radio well, is just awful and politics has ruined it.

I do feel sorry for people younger than us. Never got to experience, waiting to go home from school and watching Rap City, Video Soul, being so happy that you can watch YO Raps, because it comes on Friday Nights. Wathcing MTV Jams, and knowing that at 6/7/8 O'Clock at night, your local radio station was gonna be playing that Hip-Hop that they couldn't play during the day.

*Good Times*:lawd:

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
But i flipped thru BET the other day & saw something about them introducing the new hosts in the first week of October.

WqFK0.gif

Beegio

You ni66as don't exist we eat filet mignon
Daps
Not everybody has internet access.

:rudy: at everyone assuming that folks already have PCs

:mindblown:

:ohlawd:

:ufdup:

Where the fukk you live yo? Timbuktu?

EVERYBODY<----(don't even try to take that shyt outta context on some bullshyt) has access to the Internet. That www is free as fukk. Do you still listen to music on a CD Walkman? Most people's phones have web browsing capabilities. Remember how long your home pc takes to boot up to the point you can browse the web? Wait no more. Hi2usmartphoneandtablet!! Thanks instant on technology!!:salute:

Not to mention, artists have way more avenues to get their music and whatever it is their promoting out there, with way more effectiveness and exposure than BET raggedy ass network.

My nikka:myman: Ol' the world is flat thinking ass nikka. Take yo ass to Taco Bell or sumthin!

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I grew up on 90's Hip Hop and 106 provided a great outlet for Urban Music. If I can recall, 106 is the only place on television where people actually saw Jay and Nas share the stage. I That whole episode was classic. There was the 50/Kanye showdown.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:russ: nikkas wuz prayin on the downfall of black music programming...excuse me,c00ns and cacs wuz praying...I'm 99% sure with the next female host they gon find one of the baddest bytches u ever laid ya eyes on:ohlawd:....nikkas been complainin about Frees azz not bein on the show for a decade....unleess this woman in control wants to fuk shyt up sum more and ignore people we gon have a host wit a fat azz come october:mjpls:...rocsi ol regular lookin azz killed 106npark...nikkas woulda still checked for azz updates if they picked the right host...be smart BET,I ain't watched it in a while and u know why...the important thing thing is my nikka Webbie back in the buildin:russ: