10 Years Ago Today Jay Z Dropped Another Mediocre Forgettable Album

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I felt like the internet hate for this was overblown.

It fits right in the window of wtt and yeezus. I think yeezus was the last physical CD I purchased. So my experience for this was just taking the songs I liked off it and putting it on a Playlist with my favorite songs from those other 2. Definitely got a lot of run in the real world.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I’m talking its first week. And besides the album is 3x plat 17 years into his career. MJ the only other black male artist that successful late into their career.

Also RIAA is shipped not sold

Actually it's MJ, Stevie Wonder, and Prince. You do understand "multi plat" includes double plat right.

Also funny how it's always sales as a barometer for relevance/success until Eminem gets brought up, at which point you start moving goal posts to explain why those sales don't count or aren't hip hop. I'm not an Em fan at all, either. Just pointing out the absurdity of this.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Actually it's MJ, Stevie Wonder, and Prince. You do understand "multi plat" includes double plat right.

Also funny how it's always sales as a barometer for relevance/success until Eminem gets brought up, at which point you start moving goal posts to explain why those sales don't count or aren't hip hop. I'm not an Em fan at all, either. Just pointing out the absurdity of this.
Nobody gives af about Eminem in the culture like that. That’s why he don’t get mentioned. It’s no goal post. Eminem fans don’t care about rap. And even if u want to add those names u just make Jay look the same by mentioning those guys

waynep

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody gives af about Eminem in the culture like that. That’s why he don’t get mentioned. It’s no goal post. Eminem fans don’t care about rap. And even if u want to add those names u just make Jay look the same by mentioning those guys
Ur Lakers are trash and Bron run is over

Daps
MCHG was basically Jay's attempt at "art rap" after Kanye started influencing him post American Gangster.

Hov was the one treating Kanye as a "Big Brother" during this era because he wanted to stay relevant with the youth and the masses who were generally craving the type of rap coming out of Young Money, GOOD Music, and MMG over Roc A Fella which was becoming a literally dead label.

Hov tried to play up his hipster/artsy/fashionista persona during MCHG which explains the whole Picasso documentary and the song titles but it didn't really feel authentic coming from Hov.

The album ironically sounds less dated than Blueprint 3 but it still sounds quite dated and Jay was basically just hopping on trends and dumbing down his lyrics to the highest degree in his career.

In hindsight, it's actually amazing how this album has almost no legacy. Keep in mind, this album outsold both 4:44 and Yeezus yet both albums have much stronger legacies in 2023 than this one. Nobody talks about Holy Grail anymore. Tom Ford came and went. Part 2 with Beyonce feels overlooked. The cuts are forgotten. Honestly, the only memorable track is the song with Ross but that's mainly due to Ross.

After this mid, 4:44 was exactly the album that Hov needed to make to secure his legacy.
Mentioning Tom Ford and random artists was the worst way to go about it lol, should've went for some unorthodox production or challenge his songwriting or something.

Just slapping art references into a song doesn't make for what Kanye was doing.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Not every album needs some anniversary type shoutout. This was s very mediocre album during one of the worst Jay periods. Avant-garde artsy fartsy Jay was so cringe.