10 Years Ago Today Jay Z Dropped Another Mediocre Forgettable Album

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was a hardcore Jay-Z fan growing up. AFAIC, Jay-Z dropped no albums after Blueprint 2 except American Gangster :yeshrug:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
[
[/QUOTE]
MCHG was basically Jay's attempt at "art rap" after Kanye started influencing him post American Gangster.

Hov was the one treating Kanye as a "Big Brother" during this era because he wanted to stay relevant with the youth and the masses who were generally craving the type of rap coming out of Young Money, GOOD Music, and MMG over Roc A Fella which was becoming a literally dead label.

Hov tried to play up his hipster/artsy/fashionista persona during MCHG which explains the whole Picasso documentary and the song titles but it didn't really feel authentic coming from Hov.

The album ironically sounds less dated than Blueprint 3 but it still sounds quite dated and Jay was basically just hopping on trends and dumbing down his lyrics to the highest degree in his career.

In hindsight, it's actually amazing how this album has almost no legacy. Keep in mind, this album outsold both 4:44 and Yeezus yet both albums have much stronger legacies in 2023 than this one. Nobody talks about Holy Grail anymore. Tom Ford came and went. Part 2 with Beyonce feels overlooked. The cuts are forgotten. Honestly, the only memorable track is the song with Ross but that's mainly due to Ross.

After this mid, 4:44 was exactly the album that Hov needed to make to secure his legacy.

Jay Z has been talking art since Reasonable Doubt. Breh was referencing Picasso even then, so I don't know how people are on this, "he didn't get into art until Kanye schtick".

Nothing about this album screams Kanye. In fact, the album is Kanye free.

What trends was Jay Z hopping onnwith this album?

You're talking about nobody talks about the songs any more, yet here you are discussing them. I swear, some of you post the most ludicrous statements to get daps. Posts don't even have to make sense any more.

Screenshot-20230705-052346-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20230705-052359-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20230705-052410-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20230705-052419-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Years after thise songs were released and none of these except "Holy Grail" had a video. The joint with Ross wasn't even an official single.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I was about to disagree until I looked at the album and realized I only like 3 tracks from it: Holy Grail, FWMUKIGI and Beach is Better.

BuckFilly

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
pg
The lead single was ass
1st half of the album was very solid
Open letter probably the best song

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

Jay Z has been talking art since Reasonable Doubt. Breh was referencing Picasso even then, so I don't know how people are on this, "he didn't get into art until Kanye schtick".

Nothing about this album screams Kanye. In fact, the album is Kanye free.

What trends was Jay Z hopping onnwith this album?

You're talking about nobody talks about the songs any more, yet here you are discussing them. I swear, some of you post the most ludicrous statements to get daps. Posts don't even have to make sense any more.

Screenshot-20230705-052346-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20230705-052359-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20230705-052410-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20230705-052419-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Years after thise songs were released and none of these except "Holy Grail" had a video. The joint with Ross wasn't even an official single.
[/QUOTE]
OTR2 should be triple is the quintessential black reception anthem

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Came with a defense prepared if it was any other album than Blueprint 3:ufdup:

*realizes its Magna Carta,the album I forgot existed*

Ill see myself out:francis:

Love Sosa

Superstar
Daps
I remember Timbaland saying this was Jay’s best album ever at the time:mjlol:

It’s not that bad though. Not one of his best by any means but overall not that bad