10 Years Ago Today Jay Z Dropped Another Mediocre Forgettable Album

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Ain't released a good album since 03. :unimpressed:
That’s one hot album every …. 15 years? 7 years from Reasonable Doubt to Blueprint and 23 years have pass. 7 + 23 = 30 years
30 years divided by 2 (albums) = 15 years
Came with a defense prepared if it was any other album than Blueprint 3:ufdup:

*realizes its Magna Carta,the album I forgot existed*

Ill see myself out:francis:
wait until the 4:44 thread :sas2:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With MCHG, I don't see how anyone could say he was chasing trends. MCHG was largely produced by Timbaland, who Jay Z had been working with since 1998. In 2013, the entire soundscape of Hip Hop had changed. Only five of the songs were produced by dominant producers of that era (Mike Will did "Beach Is Better" which was the shortest song on the album, Boi-1da on "FWitMeUKnowIGotIt", Travis Scott on "Crown", Hit Boy on "Somewhere In America" and Wondagurl on a song I can't recall).

"Tom Ford" nor "Holy Grail" sounded like anything that was out in 2013 especially "Tom Ford". I have my own reservations about those songs, but somehow they managed to be commercially successful.

We'd moved from the decade where Kanye, Jay Z, Wayne, T.I., Jeezy dominated from 2000-2010 to the era of Drake, Kendrick, Future, and J. Cole.

2013 was the last year of the event album. We got spoiled that year and the whole industry shifted after that. Music as a whole fell off after 2013 and really 2013 was the beginning because a lot of them didn't deliver. The event was >>>>> the music and yes, MCHG fell victim to that.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nobody gives af about Eminem in the culture like that. That’s why he don’t get mentioned. It’s no goal post. Eminem fans don’t care about rap. And even if u want to add those names u just make Jay look the same by mentioning those guys

"Rap fans" look more like Eminem fans than they look like me or you, on average.
:manny:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Chuck just want a invite to the brunch so he can be around Beyonce and bask in jay billions and hope to get a Kanye beat because Biggie and 2pac dead

We not talking about legends like this. I noticed the twitter comments are similar. And he's right to an extent. Kingdom Come has many flaws but is an interesting record at least, with Jay's most personal records up to that point.

If people want to shyt on a Jay record, BP3 or MCHG are the choices. Kingdom Come deserves some reassessment.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
We not talking about legends like this. I noticed the twitter comments are similar. And he's right to an extent. Kingdom Come has many flaws but is an interesting record at least, with Jay's most personal records up to that point.

If people want to shyt on a Jay record, BP3 or MCHG are the choices. Kingdom Come deserves some reassessment.
Kingdom come really didn’t have many personal records. Jay shared more on previous works

but I get your point

the bp3 is Jay most successful album outside of Vol 2

too many bangers on that album. I will accept no slander

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Kingdom Come does not need reassessment. It is possibly the most out of touch Jay Z albun because he was making songs like "30 Something" (I like the song, but it is what it is)and he even had people loke Polow Da Don saying he'd lost his cool. He pump faked us with "Prelude" because the album falls a part after that song, which was one of his best intro songs and was Reasonable Doubt caliber IMO.

Prelude
Kingdom Come
Lost Ones
30 Something
Trouble
Do You Wanna Ride
Beach Chair

^^^ keepers.

"Hollywood" is the worst Beyonce/Jay collabo. "Part II" is far better. "Oh My God" is a loud mess. "Minority Report" had potential, but Jay is just there on it. Beat is dope though. BP3 and MCHG had better Neptunes/Pharrell joints than "Anything".

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Kingdom come really didn’t have many personal records. Jay shared more on previous works

but I get your point

the bp3 is Jay most successful album outside of Vol 2

too many bangers on that album. I will accept no slander

I'd disagree about that. Starting with the intro which is one of the most poignant records he's ever done. It took me years for me to figure out why and then it hit me; this feels like the record Big didn't get to make. The record where you're on top but the game has changed, and now the question is do you play the new game or rest on your laurels. The sadness and nostalgia in the record really feels vulnerable. Add in the regret in Lost Ones, the projects/rags tor riches ode of Do You Wanna Ride, the reminiscing and celebration of his mother on I Made It, the powerful assessment of Katrina (and his own personal mistakes) on Minority Report, and of course Beach House. That's damn near half the album. You can't say that about any Jay album before KC.

Also Minority Report is prob a top 5 protest/political rap song ever IMO.

It's not a great record. There are some outright bad songs on there. There some flawed songs that feel like they could have been more with some changes. But to me, "interesting" flawed records are currency. If you can't name an album (or movie, or novel) that you don't think is "good" or "bad' yet does some things you like/don't like, explores ideas or concepts that are interesting, makes you think etc then I can't value your opinion. And that's where we are today, with music either being "classic/great" or "bad/not what fans wanted." fukk fans, who are you as an artist and what do you have to say. And that's def the first "fukk fans" Jay album to me because he could have easily just did Oh My God ten times and people would have been happy. Instead he had some shyt to get off his chest and the world is better for it.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I'd disagree about that. Starting with the intro which is one of the most poignant records he's ever done. It took me years for me to figure out why and then it hit me; this feels like the record Big didn't get to make. The record where you're on top but the game has changed, and now the question is do you play the new game or rest on your laurels. The sadness and nostalgia in the record really feels vulnerable. Add in the regret in Lost Ones, the projects/rags tor riches ode of Do You Wanna Ride, the reminiscing and celebration of his mother on I Made It, the powerful assessment of Katrina (and his own personal mistakes) on Minority Report, and of course Beach House. That's damn near half the album. You can't say that about any Jay album before KC.

Also Minority Report is prob a top 5 protest/political rap song ever IMO.

It's not a great record. There are some outright bad songs on there. There some flawed songs that feel like they could have been more with some changes. But to me, "interesting" flawed records are currency. If you can't name an album (or movie, or novel) that you don't think is "good" or "bad' yet does some things you like/don't like, explores ideas or concepts that are interesting, makes you think etc then I can't value your opinion. And that's where we are today, with music either being "classic/great" or "bad/not what fans wanted." fukk fans, who are you as an artist and what do you have to say. And that's def the first "fukk fans" Jay album to me because he could have easily just did Oh My God ten times and people would have been happy. Instead he had some shyt to get off his chest and the world is better for it.
besides 444 I think dynasty he was his most personal

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Almost thought this thread was about Unfinished Business…or Unfinished Business II which Jay fans love to pretend ain’t in the canon. I also put that weed plate Jay Elec on Jay since he wanted to all up in the video.