10 year $341 Million for Francisco Lindor :damn:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Acuna was a fool letting the Braves mgmt fleece him like that. He took the short term bread over the long term.
You're not wrong, but I do understand why players take those early deals.
Years ago Ryan Braun and Evan Longoria took similar below-market deals early in their careers. They each wound up earning over 100M but there's no doubt they left some money on the table.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of many young stars who had a ton of promise and then got hurt or just sucked and destroyed his future value. So more often than not, it is probably worth it to just wait.
Maybe Dontrelle Willis is 1 example of a guy who should have cashed out EARLY. Possibly Scott Kazmir, too. But at that point you're going back 20 years and I don't think teams were really trying to lock players up back then.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shout out my bytches fukking baseball nikkas
That dress like Bamas with guaranteed contracts.:troll:

Too many brehs missing out on MLB money, pun intended. But like someone explained to me, there are too many factors working against people to put their kids in minor leagues etc vs other sports that lead to scholarships (and clout). There are probably dudes that could’ve been in the mlb. for a decade that played in the nfl for a year.

Maybe there are players in the minors that could have played in the NFL.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Only on The...the..theeeeee...Coli.com is Francisco Lindor not a superstar. He's a Top 5 player in the league.

And yes, this is alot of money and years but like others have pointed out: this is the type of money being doled out in baseball right now. Main reason young Black athletes need to start getting back into baseball. Too many benefits: huge guaranteed contracts, longer careers, less chance of career threatening injuries, etc...

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Only on The...the..theeeeee...Coli.com is Francisco Lindor not a superstar. He's a Top 5 player in the league.

And yes, this is alot of money and years but like others have pointed out: this is the type of money being doled out in baseball right now. Main reason young Black athletes need to start getting back into baseball. Too many benefits: huge guaranteed contracts, longer careers, less chance of career threatening injuries, etc...

the amount of players making that bread compared to the rest of MLB is far and between. HOWEVER, after hoops, I'd definitely go the baseball route if you got the talent.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is it easier to get into mlb than nba? Asking for my future kids :lupe:
It is harder to get into the NBA in terms of the math. There are simply fewer jobs available.

That said, MLB (in my opinion) has more pitfalls along the way.

This is a really poor and basic example but imagine you're playing Mortal Kombat. And you're doing the Towers game mode.
The NBA towers mode might have only 5 bosses you need to beat to reach the top. But they're super hard bosses.
The MLB towers mode might have 20 bosses you need to reach the top. The first 5 aren't anywhere near as difficult as the NBA tower bosses, but to get to 20 you have to be on your shyt for a long time.

So what's better for your kids? Kinda depends on more than just how difficult it is to progress to the top.
Interest, genetics and natural ability matter.

I don't care how easy or difficult something might be. If your kid is 5'11, you're mostly wasting his time taking him to basketball camps.
On the other hand, if he's 6'11, yeah he could be a pitcher...but why bother? The learning curve for pitchers is steep. Put his ass in basketball and let him be the next Brian Scalabrine.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Lindor is Top 5?
Over who?

Over Betts?
Over Trout?
Over Tatis?
Over Soto?
Over Bellinger?
Over Freeman?

There's a possibility that Francisco Lindor might not be as good going forward as Dansby Swanson.
I mean, A LOT has to play out here...

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Lindor is Top 5?
Over who?

Over Betts?
Over Trout?
Over Tatis?
Over Soto?
Over Bellinger?
Over Freeman?

There's a possibility that Francisco Lindor might not be as good going forward as Dansby Swanson.
I mean, A LOT has to play out here...

You're not factoring his all around game. He's a 5 tooler with elite defense. Couple that with his star personality this was a no brainer for the Mets. And we can't assume Swanson will be better going forward. Doing so will be solely on conjecture.

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
yeah I dont know about this one ...

Y'all can disagree all you want. Whether he is or not really doesn't matter. He was gonna get Top 5 player in the league money from somebody...Mets or not...cause that's what he's looked as amongst MLB front offices. Mets fans were having breakdowns yesterday cause they knew if the team didn't make this deal, another one woulda quickly done it at years end.