10 dead & 3 wounded in MASS SHOOTING in Buffalo, NY /racist targeted Blacks/* DOJ seeks the Death penalty

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
FS2XIZnWQAApp7y
So this is their play? Kill majority elderly people? Beyond pathetic. Can't stop shaking my head.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas

Ben Crump is with the family and they are pushing for an anti-black hate crime bill and to hold Fox News and these web hosts accountable for this tragedy. He said if they can pass an anti-Asian hate crime bill then we need one for ourselves.

I’m not a huge Crump fan but putting that bill proposal in the mainstream is a huge step. It’s time to hold CBC and others in congress accountable.

I'm definitely rocking with Attorney Crump with this.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The Covid-19 Hate bill passed with almost no opposition from either side:

NPR Cookie Consent and Choices

However, seeing as it’s black folks who would be gaining protections (and a big election year), you’re right it could/would be met with resistance. Any politician in their right mind knows opposing it means being viewed as a racist POS but in this climate, it probably wouldn’t matter to them.

Unfortunately, the "Covid-19 hate bill" didn't actually do much. What "protections" did it actually give to Asian people? It's not like Asian hate crimes stopped after it was passed.

I think it would be very possible to pass a similar bill for Black folk, though in an election year it's obviously somewhat harder because everything's harder in Congress. But I'm not sure what difference such a bill would even make.

What would you actually want to see in the bill?

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
The Covid-19 Hate bill passed with almost no opposition from either side:

NPR Cookie Consent and Choices

However, seeing as it’s black folks who would be gaining protections (and a big election year), you’re right it could/would be met with resistance. Any politician in their right mind knows opposing it means being viewed as a racist POS but in this climate, it probably wouldn’t matter to them.
Covid-19 Hate Crime passed because Mitch McConnell's wife is Asian, she worked with the Trump Adminstration, and it costed them nothing to get bipartianship on passing that bill.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Unfortunately, the "Covid-19 hate bill" didn't actually do much. What "protections" did it actually give to Asian people? It's not like Asian hate crimes stopped after it was passed.

I think it would be very possible to pass a similar bill for Black folk, though in an election year it's obviously somewhat harder because everything's harder in Congress. But I'm not sure what difference such a bill would even make.

What would you actually want to see in the bill?
There will never be a magic bullet (or bill in this instance) that will protect black people (or any people) from hate. The idea is for it to at least deter open acts of violence and hate (by extreme sentencing and punishments), and make it a mainstream notion that blacks are protected. There’s a reason this mass shooter didn’t even mention scoping out a synagogue or other ethnic area; in practice, we are not a protected class of people.

The publicity that came from the bill put Asians and Asian-Americans in a prime position in media, entertainment and elsewhere. I didn’t know AAPA month (which is this month) was even a thing until the entire stop Asian hate movement started. There’s also a stronger focus from law enforcement in protecting Asian establishments that I don’t believe was prevalent until that bill.

Is it a lot of lip service? Maybe. But I do know they have hotlines and other avenues that now DIRECTLY address anti-Asian concerns. There is NO specific avenue for blacks to report any type of discrimination. We are lumped in with everyone.

What I would want to start (others feel free to add):
-Open and transparent reporting of any and all anti-black hate threats, regardless of credibility. Law enforcement is not transparent with black communities when it comes to threats.

-Any verbal harassment based on black hate a felony offense

-Any person or company responsible for job or career loss based on anti-black hate punished by a felony offense or federal sanction

-email and hotline specifically to report incidents of anti-black hate. This should be accompanied with free legal consultation and access to resources on how to proceed.

-federal dollars for increased training and security for establishments in majority black areas, if requested