1 year in, what happened to the PS5 SSD hype?????

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Nah meech is not talking about loading time, persay.

he’s talking about how Cerny described level design growth due to being able to store gigs in memory and load those gigs instantly. Basically using the ssd as makeshift ram.

it’s supposed to fundamentally change how levels were designed. A paradigm shift from what started in the ps3 era.

Check the road to ps5 video with cerny talking to the fake audience

We haven’t seen this yet. Ratchet was arguably this, but it was debated that it could technically be done on a PS4.

You couldn't do what they did on the ps4 with RnC without altering the game's fundamentals. The world transitions would have to be done with elevator type shyt.

So yes, it did what it was supposed to.

Xbots still peeping thru the window on some Ghetto tryin to kill me Steez wit their last place asses :mjlol:

Masterp9.jpeg

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You couldn't do what they did on the ps4 with RnC without altering the game's fundamentals. The world transitions would have to be done with elevator type shyt.

Xbots still peeping thru the window on some Ghetto tryin to kill me Steez wit their last place asses :mjlol:

Masterp9.jpeg

Lmao

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

Masterp9.jpeg

I said arguably, not that it was specifically my point of contention (I wasn’t gonna play this on PS4, either way) but a developer DID come out and argue that the game could’ve been done on older hardware. And explained why he felt that way, in decent detail.

Burton makes it clear that he isn't saying the PS5 is not using the SSD's fast loading speeds to "do everything properly", but that it's not true to claim these set-pieces aren't possible to pull off on older hardware.

"Now, they could be using all kinds of Solid State Drive trickery to pull these off," Burton says, "but because it's just one Rift and it always goes to the same area this can easily be achieved on older hardware."

"The Pocket Dimensions are really graphically basic, and in fact just seem to use a lot of the same generic objects like crates that would already be available in generic memory.

"So it's pretty much a sky dome, a few small platforms, generic objects and nice lighting, so on older hardware it wouldn't take much memory, especially as it also uses the generic objects, all of which make it quick to load."
Click

The important thing to note here is that none of this is optional, it's forced," Burton explains. "This is important because it means you can pre-load the grind rail section while you are playing the speeder section. In fact, every section of this sequence is both forced and small.

"You only move across a very small part of the world and have very little ability to even move during this section – this means the game has the whole time you're playing the section to load in the next section.

"So imagine the game has two memory buffers. The first buffer holds the section you're currently playing in. While you're playing, it can load the next section into the second buffer. To transition between the buffers you can just have a very simple intermediate Void location permanently in memory to hide any swap-over glitches that might happen."
Click to shri

Ratchet and Clanks director even said it could be done on PS4, just with lower asset quality.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a game that utilizes dimensions and dimensional rifts, and that would not have been possible without the Solid State Drive of the PlayStation 5,” Smith stated.

“The SSD is screamingly fast. It allows us to build worlds and project players from one place to another in near instantaneous speeds. It is an unbelievable game changer in terms of we can now do gameplay where you’re in one world, and the next moment you’re in another.

“We’re loading up levels that happen so quickly and in the action that you don’t even imagine that this is something that we couldn’t do before because it feels so natural.”

This claim was later dialled back somewhat after the game launched, when game director Mike Daly told Axios: “You could make a game like [the new] ‘Ratchet & Clank’ on the PS4, but just visually speaking, you would have to dial back a ton in order to get it to run.”

Ratchet & Clank’s rifts could ‘easily’ have been done on PS3, claims Traveller’s Tales founder | VGC

thing is what Ratchet does is at best a gimmick (and similar things have been done in games that didn't require an SSD). how many games are gonna need to instantly load another glevel like that?
God of war with the realms. Off the top of my head.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I said arguably, not that it was specifically my point of contention (I wasn’t gonna play this on PS4, either way) but a developer DID come out and argue that the game could’ve been done on older hardware. And explained why he felt that way, in decent detail.

Ratchet and Clanks director even said it could be done on PS4, just with lower asset quality.

Ratchet & Clank’s rifts could ‘easily’ have been done on PS3, claims Traveller’s Tales founder | VGC

reread what I said. Not saying it couldn't be done on older hardware, but you would have had to make concessions.

still waiting on that 12TF POWAH too :mjlol:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Digital Foundry showed that Ratchet & Clank ran fine with a 3500GB/s SSD (Sony recommends 5500GB/s)

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
my point is that kind of teleporting around is only gonna benefit certain games
Well, on a similar note, I would think this would lend its self to more expansive interiors in open world games with out loading.

which is sort of the same thing as entering a “rift”.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Well, on a similar note, I would think this would lend its self to more expansive interiors in open world games with out loading.

which is sort of the same thing as entering a “rift”.
most open world games are already divided into 'cells'. this is why you can travel across the map with no loading, but there is a loading screen for fast travel. similar tricks are already used for interiors. an SSD can help with this, but a large number of objects also puts a strain on the CPU and GPU

I don't think anyone is saying SSD's won't benefit games. but the claim was the SSD in the PS5 would be able to do things that an SSD in a PC, or Series X/S, wouldn't

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
most open world games are already divided into 'cells'. this is why you can travel across the map with no loading, but there is a loading screen for fast travel. similar tricks are already used for interiors. an SSD can help with this, but a large number of objects also puts a strain on the CPU and GPU

I don't think anyone is saying SSD's won't benefit games. but the claim was the SSD in the PS5 would be able to do things that an SSD in a PC, or Series X/S, wouldn't
Dont forget they advertised the SSD as some special tech that would aid the weak GPU in PS5 to surpass PC graphics. Im still only seeing people in here argue about load times :heh:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse

We already been through that. Dev was disgruntled and capping.
It’s like…”R&C could have been done on PS4…maxed at 15 frames/sec…with 90% less draw distance…with 80% less enemies on screen…at 720p max…with mono sound output…”

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
The triggers and the upgraded rumble are absolutely overhyped. Sure, that’s up to the developers but Sony didn’t bother flexing their full potential either in their own first party games. Outside of astros play room, the adaptive triggers and rumble have been underwhelming.
They're gonna hate this one but you're right.

Astros playroom blew me away with its use of the rumble and adaptive triggers, but nothing else has been even close to that since.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They're gonna hate this one but you're right.

Astros playroom blew me away with its use of the rumble and adaptive triggers, but nothing else has been even close to that since.

Yep. Disagree.

The 3d Audio has been a whatever experience for me but dualsense in games is my favorite part of the ps5 outside of the SSD. I actively avoid playing ps4 games because it won;t have it.

Games where dualsense makes the experience significantly better

• Astro obviously
  • Control Ultimate
  • Demons Souls (especially with magic casting)
  • Deathloop
  • Returnal is probably better than Astro. In fact it was implemented so well I didn’t even have to pay attention to the UI after a while. I can tell from the feedback from the controller when my special was reloaded, when my adrenaline was maxed, when i connected with things, etc.
  • Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut
  • Death Stranding Directors Cut
And I didn’t really notice it that much in Rift Apart or its not too memorable but the other games def. I can’t wait to see how it works in HFW, Gran Turismo, and GoWR.

I’m sure it will be better implemented in the new spiderman and wolverine games also. I can imagine squeezing the triggers to draw your claws.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Yep. Disagree.

The 3d Audio has been a whatever experience for me but dualsense in games is my favorite part of the ps5 outside of the SSD. I actively avoid playing ps4 games because it won;t have it.

Games where dualsense makes the experience significantly better

• Astro obviously
  • Control Ultimate
  • Demons Souls (especially with magic casting)
  • Deathloop
  • Returnal is probably better than Astro. In fact it was implemented so well I didn’t even have to pay attention to the UI after a while. I can tell from the feedback from the controller when my special was reloaded, when my adrenaline was maxed, when i connected with things, etc.
  • Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut
  • Death Stranding Directors Cut
And I didn’t really notice it that much in Rift Apart or its not too memorable but the other games def. I can’t wait to see how it works in HFW, Gran Turismo, and GoWR.

I’m sure it will be better implemented in the new spiderman and wolverine games also. I can imagine squeezing the triggers to draw your claws.
I've played every one of those games except for death stranding and none of them were very impressive.

Returnal was good, the rest of them I wouldn't even notice if it wasn't there. Demons souls adaptive trigger usage is so lazy, the shyt doesn't even kick in half the time.