1 year in, what happened to the PS5 SSD hype?????

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We did.. they called us haters.. but it was pretty obvious it was a scam selling point from Sony

I won’t call it a scam yet, more undelivered promise since we haven’t seen close to the power of the I/O chips. The communication between components should be way more efficient down the line, including with storage

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its benefits will always be subjective as someone can always surmise that the time cut is "nothing special."

Its like if I were to say "Meh, 4k isn't even that much better than 1080P." even though mathematically there's a big difference.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Nah meech is not talking about loading time, persay.

he’s talking about how Cerny described level design growth due to being able to store gigs in memory and load those gigs instantly. Basically using the ssd as makeshift ram.

it’s supposed to fundamentally change how levels were designed. A paradigm shift from what started in the ps3 era.

Check the road to ps5 video with cerny talking to the fake audience

We haven’t seen this yet. Ratchet was arguably this, but it was debated that it could technically be done on a PS4.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
PS5 SSD is fast asf from what ive seen... :picard: dont get where the hate comes from...:dahell:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Again with the speed. :snoop:

Sony never said ANYTHING about graphics/presentation being vastly improved due to the ssd??? :why:
If I recall correctly Sony claimed that the SSD along with the I/O would be fast enough to allow the ps5 to treat the SSD like RAM. It was supposed to eliminate the bottle neck of being limited on how much assets could be stored on the RAM and frees it for other task.

Honestly we haven't seen that translate into better games tho. It's just slightly faster load times compared to series x, but most games seem like they're still being developed with last gen hardware in mind.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
:ohhh:Y’all are really pretending that Sony said all the ssd would do would improve load times? Like…y’all are dead serious?
They didn't, but some of you guys are exaggerating in this thread, while others are just outright lying. All you gotta do is listen to the Road to PS5 video or read the DF interview, but then that would hurt the narrative y'all trying to spread. :yeshrug:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They didn't, but some of you guys are exaggerating in this thread, while others are just outright lying. All you gotta do is listen to the Road to PS5 video or read the DF interview, but then that would hurt the narrative y'all trying to spread. :yeshrug:
I posted straight up quotes and threads. I have not made up anything:ufdup: