1 year in, what happened to the PS5 SSD hype?????

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
They didn't, but some of you guys are exaggerating in this thread, while others are just outright lying. All you gotta do is listen to the Road to PS5 video or read the DF interview, but then that would hurt the narrative y'all trying to spread. :yeshrug:
I’m not sure what narrative you’re saying I’m trying to spread that is false. I listened to a bunch of those marketing pieces.
Sonys position was they had an alien tech level ssd that would provide presentation in games we’ve never seen before. Talks of the speed of the ssd being able to render in x amount of objects at x speed equates to better looking and more immersive games. They also bragged about the millions of individual water droplets you would be able to hear with the tempest 3D audio tech. That’s not to mention the groundbreaking adaptive triggers that have been mediocre as hell in most games and have also resulted in questionable quality control with MANY people reporting their triggers losing tension/becoming loose.
I’m not saying the ps5 sucks. I’m saying the marketing was overhyped bs and a lot of people ate it up, some of which are now pretending that Sony never had this stance at all.
Sony has the best console exclusives hands down, but I don’t have to applaud the marketing goofiness breh.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I’m not sure what narrative you’re saying I’m trying to spread that is false. I listened to a bunch of those marketing pieces.
Sonys position was they had an alien tech level ssd that would provide presentation in games we’ve never seen before. Talks of the speed of the ssd being able to render in x amount of objects at x speed equates to better looking and more immersive games. They also bragged about the millions of individual water droplets you would be able to hear with the tempest 3D audio tech. That’s not to mention the groundbreaking adaptive triggers.
I’m not saying the ps5 sucks. I’m saying the marketing was overhyped bs and a lot of people ate it up, some of which are now pretending that Sony never had this stance at all.
Sony has the best console exclusives hands down, but I don’t have to applaud the marketing goofiness breh.
My problem is that you're exaggerating and misapplying some things.

On the SSD alien tech claim you keep trying to push:

In 2019 when they first started talking about this, there were no commercial drives available that met/exceeded that spec. In the 2020 video above, he talks about how technology already caught up a year later speed-wise (thanks to m2 pcie 4.0 drives becoming available). Remember, you keep attributing things to the SSD *only* which they never claimed.

They never claimed an SSD was going to render anything, because an SSD isn't rendering anything. You are seemingly mixing things up with their talk about the custom decompressor that's built into that block:

Delivering two orders of magnitude improvement in performance required a lot of custom hardware to seamlessly marry the SSD to the main processor. A custom flash marries up to the SSD modules via a 12 channel interface, delivering the required 5.5GB/s of performance with a total of 825GB of storage. This may sound like a strange choice for storage size when considering that consumer SSDs offer 512GB, 1TB or more of capacity, but Sony's solution is proprietary, 825GB is most optimal match for the 12-channel interface and there are other advantages too. In short, Sony had more freedom to adapt its design: "We can look at the available NAND flash parts and construct something with optimal price performance. Someone constructing an M.2 drive presumably does not have that freedom, it would be difficult to market and sell if it were not one of those standard sizes," Mark Cerny says.

The controller itself hooks up to the main processor via a four-lane PCI Express 4.0 interconnect, and contains a number of bespoke hardware blocks designed to eliminate SSD bottlenecks. The system has six priority levels, meaning that developers can literally prioritise the delivery of data according to the game's needs.

The controller supports hardware decompression for the industry-standard ZLIB, but also the new Kraken format from RAD Game Tools, which offers an additional 10 per cent of compression efficiency. The bottom line? 5.5GBs of bandwidth translates into an effective eight or nine gigabytes per second fed into the system. "By the way, in terms of performance, that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen 2 cores, that's what it would take to decompress the Kraken stream with a conventional CPU," Cerny reveals.

A dedicated DMA controller (equivalent to one or two Zen 2 cores in performance terms) directs data to where it needs to be, while two dedicated, custom processors handle I/O and memory mapping. On top of that, coherency engines operate as housekeepers of sorts.

"Coherency comes up in a lot of places, probably the biggest coherency issue is stale data in the GPU caches," explains Cerny in his presentation. "Flushing all the GPU caches whenever the SSD is read is an unattractive option - it could really hurt the GPU performance - so we've implemented a gentler way of doing things, where the coherency engines inform the GPU of the overwritten address ranges and custom scrubbers in several dozen GPU caches do pinpoint evictions of just those address ranges."

All of this is delivered to developers without them needing to do anything. Even the decompression is taken care of by the custom silicon. "You just indicate what data you'd like to read from your original, uncompressed file, and where you'd like to put it, and the whole process of loading it happens invisibly to you and at very high speed," Cerny explains.

Where is the lie here? We're still in the 1st gen of next-gen titles, and something like R&C already leverages a lot of what's being talked about there.

As far as the 3D audio: You are still exaggerating their claims -
“PS5 will also allow games to offer a much deeper sense of immersion through 3D audio,” wrote Nishino. “Visuals are of course imperative to the gaming experience, but we believe audio plays a crucial role as well. We wanted to deliver a compelling audio experience for all users, not just those who own high-end speaker systems. So we designed and built a custom engine for 3D audio that is equipped with the power and efficiency for ideal audio rendering. With 3D audio on PS5, the sounds you hear while playing will offer a greater sense of presence and locality. You’ll be able to hear raindrops hitting different surfaces all around you, and you can hear and precisely locate where an enemy is lurking behind you.”

Returnal lives up to that:

Returnal Converted Me To 3D Audio

The adaptive triggers shouldn't even be questioned. :manny:

I don't see how it was overhyped when a lot of what went into the design of the system translated to benefits for developers. And those benefits are being taken advantage of. It'll be even more apparent once when let go of cross-gen.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
PS5 SSD is great.

For all PS5 titles it brings load times in line with high spec PC CPUs with fast SSDs. (Most games are CPU bound in loading)

For titles optimized a bit further (RE8, 1st party titles, FF7R) it loads in about 2 seconds regardless of where you are in the game.

Im games like Far Cry 6 and Deathloop, it uses the SSD for better graphics in terms of asset streaming. It is able to switch texture mipmaps on the fly (and faster than PC) for much less texture pop in. Due to a more efficient use of RAM.

It is doing what its supposed to do.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

In 2019 when they first started talking about this, there were no commercial drives available that met/exceeded that spec. In the 2020 video above, he talks about how technology already caught up a year later speed-wise (thanks to m2 pcie 4.0 drives becoming available). Remember, you keep attributing things to the SSD *only* which they never claimed.

They never claimed an SSD was going to render anything, because an SSD isn't rendering anything. You are seemingly mixing things up with their talk about the custom decompressor that's built into that block:

Where is the lie here? We're still in the 1st gen of next-gen titles, and something like R&C already leverages a lot of what's being talked about there.

“PS5 will also allow games to offer a much deeper sense of immersion through 3D audio,” wrote Nishino. “Visuals are of course imperative to the gaming experience, but we believe audio plays a crucial role as well. We wanted to deliver a compelling audio experience for all users, not just those who own high-end speaker systems. So we designed and built a custom engine for 3D audio that is equipped with the power and efficiency for ideal audio rendering. With 3D audio on PS5, the sounds you hear while playing will offer a greater sense of presence and locality. You’ll be able to hear raindrops hitting different surfaces all around you, and you can hear and precisely locate where an enemy is lurking behind you.”

I don't see how it was overhyped when a lot of what went into the design of the system translated to benefits for developers. And those benefits are being taken advantage of. It'll be even more apparent once when let go of cross-gen.

Appreciate the effort but when I say alien level of course I’m exaggerating. All of the points above lean into why I’m saying sarcastically. All that “tech” isn’t unique to Sony and isn’t currently producing results unique to ps5. That’s why I agree with it being overhyped.

The tempest 3D audio is absolutely overhyped in comparison to other simulated 3D solutions. Turning it on and off doesn’t refute that. You would need to compare it to dolbys solution and other VSS applications to understand when I say it’s overhyped and isn’t doing anything unique to ps5.

The triggers and the upgraded rumble are absolutely overhyped. Sure, that’s up to the developers but Sony didn’t bother flexing their full potential either in their own first party games. Outside of astros play room, the adaptive triggers and rumble have been underwhelming. Also, Xbox has enhance rumble features that work very well and in some cases better than the ps5 rumble. In call of duty you I can feel vehicles rumble on the triggers independently whereas on ps5 you don’t get that unless is a ps5 game that has actual adaptive trigger support.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
PS5 SSD is great.

For all PS5 titles it brings load times in line with high spec PC CPUs with fast SSDs. (Most games are CPU bound in loading)

For titles optimized a bit further (RE8, 1st party titles, FF7R) it loads in about 2 seconds regardless of where you are in the game.

Im games like Far Cry 6 and Deathloop, it uses the SSD for better graphics in terms of asset streaming. It is able to switch texture mipmaps on the fly (and faster than PC) for much less texture pop in. Due to a more efficient use of RAM.

It’s supposed to blow my mind. And it isn’t :smugdraper:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:huhldup: Too much tech not enough stannery

That’s what I was getting at earlier without being so verbose, I appreciate you bringing numbers and timelines breh

I won’t call it a scam yet, more undelivered promise since we haven’t seen close to the power of the I/O chips. The communication between components should be way more efficient down the line, including with storage

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony stans have genius level intellect and understanding as well as the ability to spot out any crack or inaccuracy with Nintendo and Xbox.

But with Sony all of a sudden they:blink::huh: when Sony is called out

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is what I hoped for :blessed: tech talk
PS5 SSD is great.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah meech is not talking about loading time, persay.

he’s talking about how Cerny described level design growth due to being able to store gigs in memory and load those gigs instantly. Basically using the ssd as makeshift ram.

it’s supposed to fundamentally change how levels were designed. A paradigm shift from what started in the ps3 era.

Check the road to ps5 video with cerny talking to the fake audience

We haven’t seen this yet. Ratchet was arguably this, but it was debated that it could technically be done on a PS4.

Right. Rachet and Clank, as I understood it, was basically just brute forcing it with the SSD to pull off the dimension hopping. If we're being honest, we might not see games (for PS5, OR XBox) that make use of that paradigm shift until late this year or early next year at the very earliest, and that's still being overly optimistic about it. I'd be shocked to hear that there's a game that's coming out in the next year or so that is built from the ground up to utilize the SSD in these new consoles in that fashion, unless Unreal Engine 5 both does all that work for developers, and had secretly been in a fully utilizable state for developers since long ago, and all involved parties have just been sitting on it.

If I recall correctly Sony claimed that the SSD along with the I/O would be fast enough to allow the ps5 to treat the SSD like RAM. It was supposed to eliminate the bottle neck of being limited on how much assets could be stored on the RAM and frees it for other task.

Honestly we haven't seen that translate into better games tho. It's just slightly faster load times compared to series x, but most games seem like they're still being developed with last gen hardware in mind.

That's because most of them are. And even the ones that aren't are still being made largely using techniques used for games from last gen.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
That's because most of them are. And even the ones that aren't are still being made largely using techniques used for games from last gen.
Facts.

None of the stans will admit it but every ps5 exclusive released so far could have easily been ported to ps4. The only reason they're ps5 exclusive is because Sony thought they needed a reason to convince people to buy a ps5. But that ended up not mattering because nobody can find a ps5 anyways.

Everyone clowned Microsoft for being honest about the situation when they admitted that all games released within the first two years would also be ported to last generation consoles. Sony's decision to keep new games exclusive has hurt their bottom line, games like returnal wouldn't have flopped if it released on a system people can actually buy.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Nah meech is not talking about loading time, persay.

he’s talking about how Cerny described level design growth due to being able to store gigs in memory and load those gigs instantly. Basically using the ssd as makeshift ram.

it’s supposed to fundamentally change how levels were designed. A paradigm shift from what started in the ps3 era.

Check the road to ps5 video with cerny talking to the fake audience

We haven’t seen this yet. Ratchet was arguably this, but it was debated that it could technically be done on a PS4.
thing is what Ratchet does is at best a gimmick (and similar things have been done in games that didn't require an SSD). how many games are gonna need to instantly load another level like that?