Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana [PS4/Vita][May 25] - Action JRPG Brehs..

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I had the defense settings on :ohhh:

Should I change to offense :ohhh:

Bro...I want to explore this whole island. I'm intrigued :ohhh:

I would.

IMO this game does exploration better than a lot of open-world games. Every single area of the Island is unique and you actually get rewarded for exploring.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I just finished this game a few days ago and man :wow:

One issue a lot of JRPG's have is that they are just overwhelming with content. For instance, Persona 5 and DQ 11 being the top two JRPG's of last-gen both take a minimum of 100 hrs to complete. While here the amount of content is much more approachable. For instance, there aren't many side quests to speak of and none of it is a nuisance or overstaying its welcome. (Although doing these side quests is important in terms of approval).

The combat, exploration, and OST are S-tier. Anyone that loves Xenoblade will enjoy the combat. It is different yes it is a more pure action JRPG, but it has a lot of similarities. And when you get to the higher difficulties mastering flash guard and move is essential. Or it makes things a lot easier. But still, you could be like me and really only get the hang of flash guard and still do well in nightmare difficulty. Although learning flash move I would believe to be essential for Inferno difficulty if you are a saddist.

The exploration is top-notch since this game makes you want to explore. A lot of games open world and semi-open world games have these big areas to explore, but they are just empty. Here the island is full of life and each area is 99% unique. The OST is top tier. It is as good as any of the top tier OST's from other JRPG's like Persona V, FE 3H, and XC.

Now as far as a narrative is considered this is a YS game, so this isn't the main reason you would play it. But IMO it delivers. Granted it has a lot of the troupes that you see in a lot of other JRPG's, but none of it overstays its welcome. But the real highlight is the characters. Don't look at the spoiler if you haven't beaten it yet.

First, you have Adol. And if anyone has played a YS game knows his story. Now one thing I was worried about with Adol is that he is a silent protagonist. But one thing you realize very carefully unlike other silents he actually has a personality. Especially regarding his relationship with Dana.

The other main protagonist you have Dana. And a lot of times in JRPG's the lead female characters feel limited, don't get too much development, and quite frankly aren't well written at all. Dana doesn't have any of those issues. You see her past and understand who she is and what she had to go through. But at the same time in the present day, she learns to trust the main party and still grows from that. Unfortunately, the ending makes it really hard for her to have a significant role in another YS game, but the true ending really makes you feel all :mjcry:
Personally one of my favorite female video game characters of all time.

Laxia starts off as the typical anime tsundere. But eventually loosens up and trusts Adol right before they meet Dana. Still, it is clear she has feelings for Adol, but they never amount to anything when Dana joins up. Still, she displays a great deal of maturity and growth by the time you end up leaving the idea.
Sahad is the comedy act character. Not bad by any means but that feels like his only purpose. He really is the only party member that doesn't have character development as the game progresses.
Hummel being the only party member that can matchup to both Dana and Adol's DPS output. As a character he is cool. He definitely starts loosening up towards the end of the game. And honestly is probably the only party member that has a chance of returning in a future YS game.
Lastly, Ricotta being the kid character at first glance might seem annoying. But she never comes across like that. She is simply the energy spark of the group and they did a great job with her character.

Definitely one of the best overall casts that I have played.

One thing to note is that I played this on this Switch and for the most part it was a consistent 720p & 30 FPS. With the only exception being
When you are at Eternia where the resolution takes an obvious dip. But there is also one floor in the underground temple in Eternia where the FPS becomes unplayable. Still it is only 1 floor.
But beyond that the port for the Switch is very solid. Although I will be honest part of me wished I played it on my PS5, but it isn't a big deal:manny:.
It is a must-own if you are into JRPG's.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just finished this game a few days ago and man :wow:

One issue a lot of JRPG's have is that they are just overwhelming with content. For instance, Persona 5 and DQ 11 being the top two JRPG's of last-gen both take a minimum of 100 hrs to complete. While here the amount of content is much more approachable. For instance, there aren't many side quests to speak of and none of it is a nuisance or overstaying its welcome. (Although doing these side quests is important in terms of approval).

The combat, exploration, and OST are S-tier. Anyone that loves Xenoblade will enjoy the combat. It is different yes it is a more pure action JRPG, but it has a lot of similarities. And when you get to the higher difficulties mastering flash guard and move is essential. Or it makes things a lot easier. But still, you could be like me and really only get the hang of flash guard and still do well in nightmare difficulty. Although learning flash move I would believe to be essential for Inferno difficulty if you are a saddist.

The exploration is top-notch since this game makes you want to explore. A lot of games open world and semi-open world games have these big areas to explore, but they are just empty. Here the island is full of life and each area is 99% unique. The OST is top tier. It is as good as any of the top tier OST's from other JRPG's like Persona V, FE 3H, and XC.

Now as far as a narrative is considered this is a YS game, so this isn't the main reason you would play it. But IMO it delivers. Granted it has a lot of the troupes that you see in a lot of other JRPG's, but none of it overstays its welcome. But the real highlight is the characters. Don't look at the spoiler if you haven't beaten it yet.

First, you have Adol. And if anyone has played a YS game knows his story. Now one thing I was worried about with Adol is that he is a silent protagonist. But one thing you realize very carefully unlike other silents he actually has a personality. Especially regarding his relationship with Dana.

The other main protagonist you have Dana. And a lot of times in JRPG's the lead female characters feel limited, don't get too much development, and quite frankly aren't well written at all. Dana doesn't have any of those issues. You see her past and understand who she is and what she had to go through. But at the same time in the present day, she learns to trust the main party and still grows from that. Unfortunately, the ending makes it really hard for her to have a significant role in another YS game, but the true ending really makes you feel all :mjcry:
Personally one of my favorite female video game characters of all time.

Laxia starts off as the typical anime tsundere. But eventually loosens up and trusts Adol right before they meet Dana. Still, it is clear she has feelings for Adol, but they never amount to anything when Dana joins up. Still, she displays a great deal of maturity and growth by the time you end up leaving the idea.
Sahad is the comedy act character. Not bad by any means but that feels like his only purpose. He really is the only party member that doesn't have character development as the game progresses.
Hummel being the only party member that can matchup to both Dana and Adol's DPS output. As a character he is cool. He definitely starts loosening up towards the end of the game. And honestly is probably the only party member that has a chance of returning in a future YS game.
Lastly, Ricotta being the kid character at first glance might seem annoying. But she never comes across like that. She is simply the energy spark of the group and they did a great job with her character.

Definitely one of the best overall casts that I have played.

One thing to note is that I played this on this Switch and for the most part it was a consistent 720p & 30 FPS. With the only exception being
When you are at Eternia where the resolution takes an obvious dip. But there is also one floor in the underground temple in Eternia where the FPS becomes unplayable. Still it is only 1 floor.
But beyond that the port for the Switch is very solid. Although I will be honest part of me wished I played it on my PS5, but it isn't a big deal:manny:.
It is a must-own if you are into JRPG's.

That's pretty ironic since the main complain against Ys 8 is that its too long with too much story and over stays it's welcome by a good ten hours.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I just set up my first camp.

I knocked down a tree branch which connects to a different area that I already explored I thought that was really cool.

I hope I didn't read a spoiler on the previous page about the captain but I'll ignore it and just keep playing

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
ys origin and ys 8 are my favorite of the ys games. ys 8 was a great game.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I am really really enjoying this video game.

I just beat my first raid and I got the adventurer gloves.

Should I continue playing I'm just wondering because I feel like I just read a spoiler on the past few pages about the captain somebody said they shot him or something so should I continue playing this or should I give up due to that

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am really really enjoying this video game.

I just beat my first raid and I got the adventurer gloves.

Should I continue playing I'm just wondering because I feel like I just read a spoiler on the past few pages about the captain somebody said they shot him or something so should I continue playing this or should I give up due to that

:what:
Play on, the captain thing is not even the biggest thing to the story.
Don't let a small spoiler ruin your experience like that.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
:what:
Play on, the captain thing is not even the biggest thing to the story.
Don't let a small spoiler ruin your experience like that.
Okay thank you because I love this game

I love the mechanics I love the exploration I also really really like the upgrades and how every item and every mission mean something so far and I'm also really liking the boss battles it's like dinosaurs or something I think that is so cool

Last edited: