Your Student Loan Rates Just DOUBLED

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not worried about whether or not my own future child(ren) will be suited for college, that's a given. I was speaking generally. And generally speaking, no matter what society tells you, everyone isn't suited for college. Not only that but there is value in having a trade/skill! I don't see one as being some how better than the other.
There is nothing wrong with a trade but they aren't free either. There will still be some money to invest in that education and just like college people get training and don't find a job. Also with trades there is often additional certifications to obtain and they cost money as well.

Again, I have no beef with trades or college degrees but people (parents) really need to PLAN for their children's education costs because it will cost and loans are the WORST CASE scenario, not the go to funding. The less you plan the more likely you'll have a near 30 year old moving back into your house because they have a shytload of student loan debt and no income to sustain them.

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
parents do need to plan for their kids college costs...

and go further and say if you're not going to school for certain majors, then make sure you don't borrow ANY money, and try to motivate them to get scholarships.

at the very least, i want to try to help my little niece and nephew go to school at least partially. especially if i dont end up having kids of my own.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
exactly. I understand that the USA is competing with the rest of the world in education but damn, this shyt is getting out of control. If I am not guaranteed a job after college, then to me it isn't worth it.

One should go in broke and leave making money (or starting to), not go in broke and leave worse off but with a receipt of a bought product.

I may be the minority in this but I honestly dont think EVERYBODY should be in school. Leave the shyt for the people who are intellectually capable to do the work without watering it down for everyone to pass.

:snoop: smdh

You're an idiot.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
parents do need to plan for their kids college costs...

and go further and say if you're not going to school for certain majors, then make sure you don't borrow ANY money, and try to motivate them to get scholarships.

at the very least, i want to try to help my little niece and nephew go to school at least partially. especially if i dont end up having kids of my own.

Open them a 529 or an ESA account. Maryland has a pre-paid college trust which "locks in tuition rates" but the only drawback is that the student has to go to a school in Maryland (or whatever State that offers it). Instead of buying them bullshyt toys, video games and name brand clothing that they'll grow out of in a month, toss that money in their education accounts.

They are also transferable so if your niece or nephew is looking kind of dumb as college approaches, you can transfer it to another member of your family who is looking more hopeful.

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Graduated with only 7k in loans. thank god.

Grad school..that's gonna be a different story though :sadcam:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
If I didn't desire to go into medicine I probably would have never went to college in the first place. :ld: Would have been Air Force for 20 years or taken up a trade. The debt the average college student incurs is just ridiculous.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
I see the best route is to take pre-college courses in HS that count for credit, I remember this girl who I worked with on campus already had like 20+ credits all from HS.

Then CC for the first 2 years might be a must now. You lose those freshmen experiences but those aren't worth he financial costs now a days