You People | Netflix (Discussion Thread)

The Burger King

Fast Food Gangsta
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Whopper City
Just saw it on Netflix and decided to watch it while I combed out my braids.

It was alright, I didn’t expect much knowing it was a Kenya Barris flick.

And that’s coming from someone who likes Black-ish and Grown-ish (somewhat).

His formula is pretty much predictable at this point.

This movie, like most of his work, seems like something more appealing to black women (which is perfectly fine).

Sway

Banned
Daps
Sidenote:

Odd Future gotta be the most overall successful rap group in terms of collective accolades. They got Wu Tang beat by an inch. Even OF's weed carriers getting roles next to Eddie Murphy.

And I'm sure OF has more Grammys as a collective than Wu Tang.

It's between YMCMB, Wu Tang and OF honestly.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wasn't really feeling it. Felt preachy at parts which made me roll my eyes.
I liked Eddie in it. Also, Julia Dreyfus made the dumb, out of touch white person trope somewhat bearable

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It seems like movies and TV these can't help themselves but have the scene where somebody just goes on an insanely on-the-nose one-sided rant where they lay out every narrative problem they have with the other person. I first noticed it in Louie
Always ruins the scene and this movie had a couple of those moments

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Eddie is a massive piece of shyt in this :skip:
A militant hotep... bringing up Farrakhan at a dinner with Jews is fukking insane:skip:

Now thinking about this.... has there ever been a recorded Jewish/ Muslim gathering in peace?

But Eddie was on his Coli Militant energy tip when he brought up Farrakhan and his speeches. Shocked how the Jewish family even was cordial after that shyt.

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
A Gen X cac greenlit this on some "love letter to Gen X" shyt and it came off trash AF

Beating us over the head with the 90s references:beli:
Jonah as a romantic lead :mjlol:

Lauren's one-dimensional acting :troll:

Dope was a much better shout out to Gen X movie
Dope was god awful. Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
Y'all said a lot of this shyt already but here goes:
-Lauren is a better actress then ya'll are giving her credit for. I wouldn't kick Viola out of line to hire her but for something like this, she did fine.
-I was never on her tip like that before, but LL has matured into a gorgeous woman. The extra padding works for her. I'll look past the BBL.
-Jonah Hill is one of my favorite young(er) actors but this culture vulture shyt he's been doing lately grinds my gears
-The LA hipster love notes were too much in the first half (Gucci, Balenciaga, random sneakerhead talk)
-Eddie really needs a vehicle where he can full out shine. He's so good in this without even trying, its frustrating
-Julia threw down. Props.
-Nia was wasted. WTF?
-What is it with Netflix and Mike Epps? Why is this nikka in every Black themed anything on Netflix??? Does he have majority stock in Netflix? They really need a Mike Epps section on Netflix
-Same with Sam Jay. I guess they're gonna shove her down our throats. She aight, but damn. They must be setting her up as the new Lena Waithe. The POCLGBT voice of consciousness that nobody asked for.
-LL and JH had chemistry but not romantic chemistry.
-This movie was done better and it was called Guess Who
-The pros and cons kinda cancel each other out and I watched this whole thing even though I thought I was gonna cut it off.
-Call me what you want but I can never root for a cac/BW couple in a rom com
-I always hate in these type movies where it make it look like we just bully cacs for no reason.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Ehh, the movie is what I expect of a streaming movie - a decent occupation of 90 mins.

Watched it becuase I love Eddie, hill and dryfus - they can save almost anything (except norbit) but it was just too cliche. In 2022 LA of all places, no one is giving a fukk about an interracial relationship and it says a lot that Kenya can’t or won’t seem to create anything that doesn’t revolve around biracial people, interracial relationships and biracial castings.

The ending seemed rushed, their breakup was weak as well given they survived all that time with their parents fukking up. They should’ve dipped on their family and that been the thing to get the parents to apologize, then end with a wedding once things got resolved.

Edit: and I didn’t know Lauren London had a BBL also, these women gotta stop getting them in ways that don’t fit their bodies. LL always had an undeniable face card with no waist or ass, now she got that wide diaper booty, didn’t look right.
She did look weird to me the whole movie but this description :russ:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I'm one-forth in and I don't like this sh*t at all. Its corny and cring-worthy. Its like Barris took all the social media hastags and talking points and made a movie out of it inside of the standard "guess who's coming to dinner" interracial dating comedy setup. The jokes don't really hit, Lauren is unlikable, and all the race and genders are shoehorned into this in a non organic manner.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
giphy.webp

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Just watched it, wasn’t too bad. Had some cringe moments but I love cringe shyt in these type of movies, hilarious as hell Apatow type energy.

Soon as I finished I knew coli wasn’t gonna like this one, peak anti-coli notes were hit….hell Eddie was a coli nikka for the most part and the movie definitely tried to preach against that shyt

:mjlol:

Lauren looks better than she ever has just beautiful

That BBL was awful tho, especially that scene with yung mami or what we her name is