You People | Netflix (Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:heh: Watching this right now..... isn't Jonah Hill's best friend in this film basically a fat version of the butch lesbian best friend on "All American"? They literally have the same voice.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Lauren London is straight-up :flabbynsick: in this film. I can't believe she didn't bother to lose weight if she was gonna be doing films again.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah this movie was pretty good, really funny. Eddie did his thing. Not surprised The Coli doesn’t fukk with it though.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Tough crowd here 🤣 no it isn't great but it isn't terrible...

Lauren is gorgeous, I been in love with this woman for 17 years 🤣 and while she is factually biracial, she doesn't look it, when I heard years ago that she was it was surprising. She looks and sounds and acts like a black woman because she is, no one would think she had a white dad if it wasn't public info...

I wonder if she got the role too because her dad is Jewish, I believe. And it made it easier for her to do. Everything about that woman is black though...

100% agree with the critiques of Kenya Barris though, time for this nikka to find a knew theme...

Saw this yesterday in theaters

it's really good, yes, it goes down very familiar and well worn romantic comedy tropes, but it's often very funny, and smarter than a lot of similar movies, and a lot sharper

again, the audience of about 8 people rarely laughed. There were several assumedly Jewish couples, but I can see where they wouldn't laugh, they were too old, and it's a hip hop movie, at it's heart. I don't get seeing this and not laughing, I can be a harsh critic, and I can say it was often really funny. But, lot of the jokes are just timely and insider rap references, so it's just fun to see that on the screen sometimes, and maybe people missed that. Would be a pretty dull experience to see this and miss 70% of the jokes.

Probably plays a little too broad, and there's a missed opportunity or two, to cut a little deeper, but it really worked for me. Eddie Murphy was just stealing every scene, effortlessly. Loved his performance. His acting was really impressive.

Yes, the courtship is rushed, and you never truly see real chemistry between London and Hill, the movie plays this fast and loose, because it's less of a romance, and more of a set piece for some conversations about identity and race, racism. Murphy gives a hilarious, tightly wound performance, and delivers every line as either hilarious/true/uncomfortable, and often all three.

From within realistic expectations of this movie, and Kenya Barris, he's a first time director, as far as movies, right? He did a great job, but you can tell he came from TV, everything just moves, quickly, and it has all the standard sitcom scenes

If there was a missed opportunity, I would say look at WHY was Jonah Hill's character so able to love and dissect rap, but have this disconnect from other elements of black culture? And WHY that would lead to conflict with Murphy's character. Expanding on this, how maybe Drake, Future, Meek Mill are a a part of black culture, but would stand kind of opposed or conflicted with like a James Baldwin, or the kind of Panther militancy. How maybe it's easier to understand an artist like Drake and WHY that is, as opposed to others, who takes a lot from black culture, while never veering into the kind of content that Pac excelled in. He plays very much to the suburbs.

Yes, it gets serious and then sappy, and it's all very predictable, but it's a fun movie. Also, a very LA movie, if you know those spots. A scene I liked a lot, though, yes, seen it in a dozen other movies, is the barbershop scene, where Murphy monolouges a prison slippery slope, and ends with Hill saying, "there's a commissary here?", I know that no crips are going to care about a white dude in a red sweatshirt, but it's still a funny scene, which mainly works because of Murphy's conviction in his delivery.

Everyone in cameo and supporting roles was excellent, Mike Epps, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, David Duchovony
I'm 100 in lockstep with this analysis!
I know. she looks ridiculous. I'm so not into women that look so phony. the bbl bullshyt is NOT how women look.
The BBL wack but gotdamn that's a gorgeous woman, bruh...

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Lauren is gorgeous, I been in love with this woman for 17 years 🤣 and while she is factually biracial, she doesn't look it, when I heard years ago that she was it was surprising. She looks and sounds and acts like a black woman because she is, no one would think she had a white dad if it wasn't public info...

:leostare: