You can't deny in the 90s, there was an effort to have black faces on the screen

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside

Breh, The Book of Eli isn't a black film... is simply a movie with a black protagonist that's directed by blacks.

nobody really sat in the theaters actively thinking about how this is a black movie... it was just a movie.

That's how blacks are gonna win, making movies that dont have a color.

This the stupidest shyt I ever heard. Do Latins have to do this with there films? Or Indians? fukk are u talking about.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
This the stupidest shyt I ever heard. Do Latins have to do this with there films? Or Indians? fukk are u talking about.

You missed the point.... by a mile.

Blacks should have the privilege to act in/direct films without being reduced/confined to the typical "black" films/themes we constantly see churned out.... like every other group does.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I made this thread during the Coli's inception:myman:

...4 yrs later, Straight Outta Compton's:dj2: the fist biopic to Snoop Dogg the Box-Office:fire: Creed's a runaway success:popcorn: And, Taraji/Viola/Regina Go HAM on network TV:blessed:

WE still need a Horror/SciFi entity, but I know Black Panthers finna make the cypher complete:ahh:

I agree. 2015 was a comeback year of sorts with black films. The reason why we had black films of the 80s and 90s was because of the ground roots pressure that the black community had, like the Nation of Islam, Black power groups like Public Enemy and so on. That put pressure on the execs to put black faces on the screen.

Now similar conditions are happening Today and now they want black faces and even directors.

mr x

Superstar
Daps
When it comes to these upstart networks geared towards blacks, they'd fare much better if they decided to air original content, and not just re-runs of shyt blacks liked in the 70's-90's.

Of all the re-runs they've showed on those networks of Sanford and Son,Good Times,Martin,The Parkers, NY Undercover... just how many new shows with black casts could we have had?

How many movies could've had a chance at somebody watching them if it wasn't for them showing Boyz N The Hood,Poetic Justice,Juice,Menace 2 Society etc. ?

:rudy: all the mostly black movies are stuck in the 2 starred graveyard on Netflix.

Spot on.

Just comes down to money and resources.

Oprah was able to turn around her network due to her Tyler Perry connect. Now she's producing two shows of her own.

When I look at the lineup for magic's network I think, how are you gonna convince people to subscribe with this old content?
But then again
200_s.gif

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I absolutely HATE this whole "The problem is black movies instead of movies that have blacks in them" argument. It's complete bullshyt and it's nothing more than saying that movies like Dead Presidents, Love Jones, The Brothers, and Soul Food weren't successful of their own merits, despite being geared towards predominantly African American audiences.

I feel that the Tyler Perry crap gets lumped into Black Cinema, and because most African Americans with a functioning brain loathe it, it also gives "Black Cinema" a stench. However this distinction isn't given to Uwe Boll, Paul WS Anderson, Joel Schumacher, Brett Ratner or any other Cac director who gets to put out whatever tacky abortion of a film their heart desires. They aren't "bringing down" White cinema

We NEED our stories told. We deserve them. There are a WEALTH of black stories, myths, legends, and facts that could make great BLACK movies. We can do our action movies, we can do our historical epics, our Swords and Scorcery fantasy films, our crime films. These can be predominantly BLACK films that are excellent films BECUASE of their blackness, not DESPITE it.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
I absolutely HATE this whole "The problem is black movies instead of movies that have blacks in them" argument. It's complete bullshyt and it's nothing more than saying that movies like Dead Presidents, Love Jones, The Brothers, and Soul Food weren't successful of their own merits, despite being geared towards predominantly African American audiences.

I feel that the Tyler Perry crap gets lumped into Black Cinema, and because most African Americans with a functioning brain loathe it, it also gives "Black Cinema" a stench. However this distinction isn't given to Uwe Boll, Paul WS Anderson, Joel Schumacher, Brett Ratner or any other Cac director who gets to put out whatever tacky abortion of a film their heart desires. They aren't "bringing down" White cinema

We NEED our stories told. We deserve them. There are a WEALTH of black stories, myths, legends, and facts that could make great BLACK movies. We can do our action movies, we can do our historical epics, our Swords and Scorcery fantasy films, our crime films. These can be predominantly BLACK films that are excellent films BECUASE of their blackness, not DESPITE it.

Here is the thing breh, Our stories don't should not have to require a visible aura of blackness to them or even be geared towards blacks to be worthy of being told....

The outlets we have, ain't giving any fukks about showing that blacks aren't this monolith when it comes to cinema, nor are they concerned with giving blacks opportunities to create original content...... all they care about is what they know gonna bring them viewers.