You can't deny in the 90s, there was an effort to have black faces on the screen

dabestkeptsecret

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
jerz
honestly the last good black sitcom was the game; before it went to bet. But the writing was actually pretty good; they showed good character development and it wasnt c00nery.

I'm hoping a movie like think like a man can open the doors for more black movies not made by tyler perry.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:what:

why would he hire people when he can do that shyt himself and keep all that money?

the fact he keeps all his shyt in house is why he's able to do all that shyt.

Black people need to stop looking for handouts from every black person who's done something.
Who said anything about a handout?

I meant hiring black writers that's into into horror, thrillers, anime, or whatever else genre.

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We integrated with our media & entertainment :sadbron:

I know we are.

I could care less what color a cast is. I watch anything as long as its good. I was just looking through my DVDs and thought, why has there been such a decline in quality black movies since the 90s. :yeshrug: That's all.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
I don't think it's necessarily "looking for a handout" but trying to get into an insular industry in which connections mean everything.

At this stage, there can't be 20 different Tyler Perry's out there making the kind of scratch he is. Sorry, but that's simply not a reality right now. But maybe later on there can be. Tyler knocked on every studio's door and got a "No" from every one of them until Lionsgate came along. Someone had to help him. Was that a handout?

Maybe he can be someone's "Lionsgate." That's not a handout, the work still has to be done. Every other race seems to do something to help their own but as soon as a black person "makes it" they don't look back. I'm not saying every black person has an obligation to help those that haven't made it. But this thread is a clear indicator that people of color are starving in the media landscape and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if a couple of those that have "made it" gave the dude that has knocked on every studio's door and gotten rejected with a quality project in hand said yes every now and then.

Not really... i think that many black people fail to realize that we only make up 13% of the population. We've already grown out of the new,fresh,cool Urban TV shows and movies....at that, we were over-represented in the media

you put 100 actors in a movie, and only 13 are black... we're the first to complain about their not being enough black people, then how they look and the roles they're in.

And as far as Lionsgate goes, before there was these movies.. He was doing those Madea plays on a national level, it was just a matter of time before someone took a chance on him....just so happened the largest independent film distribution company did:manny:

we wont get anywhere til we stop making black movies, and start making movies that have black people in them.

Kemyran

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Southern California

we wont get anywhere til we stop making black movies, and start making movies that have black people in them.
:rudy:

Just because all that seems to get through is some shucking and jiving "typical black movie" sh!t doesn't mean there aren't blacks trying to tell more multi-dimensional stories yet still getting shut down at the major studios for "not being urban enough" or them not being able to sell the film to a particular market when they can turn around and drop 500 million on Taylor Kitsch across two movies only to watch dude bomb and STILL re-up for more.

I think you and many other blacks sell us short and so does Hollywood in general. Go watch Medicine for Melancholy.

Why are there so few movies like this? There are black storytellers with a different story to tell out there trying to get on, breh. fukk it, I'm gonna go make a film.

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
:rudy:

Just because all that seems to get through is some shucking and jiving "typical black movie" sh!t doesn't mean there aren't blacks trying to tell more multi-dimensional stories yet still getting shut down at the major studios for "not being urban enough" or them not being able to sell the film to a particular market when they can turn around and drop 500 million on Taylor Kitsch across two movies only to watch dude bomb and STILL re-up for more.

I think you and many other blacks sell us short and so does Hollywood in general. Go watch Medicine for Melancholy.

Why are there so few movies like this? There are black storytellers with a different story to tell out there trying to get on, breh. fukk it, I'm gonna go make a film.

Nicholas Cage is forever in a big budget wack ass movie just cause he's a Coppola..Taylor Kirtsch just happened to be in a fake avatar/transformers

and im not selling anybody short...

Blacks should be less concerned with seeing black movies,Tv shows etc... and more concerned with seeing good black actors in good movies and black directors making good movies... not "black movies".

Black America as a whole pigeonholed itself into this situation, they've put all these barriers in place as far as what movies get put out......Blacks didn't line up in droves to see Last King of Scotland, but they sure as hell came out to see the Madea movies.

the problem lies more with the audiences than it does with the writers and actors...blacks are a very conservative audience, and it's biting us in the ass for everyone that's trying to make progress.

YBE

Banned
Daps
yall nikkas is arguing two sides of the same coin.

essentially, box office profits are dollar votes. everytime a film like The Last King of Scotland or Miracle at St. Anna comes out & bombs horribly, it's basically a giant poll that the black community gives two fukks about those kinds of films.

in result, studios ain't interested in shelling out fifty million on some horror/thriller with an all black cast with the hope that it will break even, when its been documented we dont fukk with those genres. that's bad business. It ain't just white executives because like my man said.....Tyler Perry damn sure ain't moving outside his niche.

both yall sides feed into each other. more we support, the more opportunities we get.

obvious solution though. with moderate budgets, black films can be successful. it's the ones that receive financing similar to big blockbusters that fail. I referenced "Miracle at St. Anna" above. Budget was $45 million :skip: The budget for Red Tails was $75 million :snoop: who really thought they was gonna make that shyt back? :beli: if you go back to films like Brown Sugar, Think Like a Man, Stomp the Yard, Just Right, Jumping the Broom, The Best Man, The Wood, Love & Basketball.........all were successful & all were produced for under $12-15 million. Tyler Perry's movies pretty much follow the same blueprint. Produced for a few million, bank 30-40 million at the theaters. Great cinema (horror, thriller, comedy, sci-fi) can be produced under that level of financing & makes risk-averse executives more likely to take chances. For example, Every Saw movie (I, II, III, IV, V, VI & 3D) was produced for under $11 million. black directors & studios just need to be realistic. Dial back budgets & :eat:.....because no black film is gonna make $200 million at the box office & pay back such large overhead.

Kemyran

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Southern California

Nicholas Cage is forever in a big budget wack ass movie just cause he's a Coppola..Taylor Kirtsch just happened to be in a fake avatar/transformers

Blacks should be less concerned with seeing black movies,Tv shows etc... and more concerned with seeing good black actors in good movies and black directors making good movies... not "black movies".

Black America as a whole pigeonholed itself into this situation, they've put all these barriers in place as far as what movies get put out......Blacks didn't line up in droves to see Last King of Scotland, but they sure as hell came out to see the Madea movies.

the problem lies more with the audiences than it does with the writers and actors...blacks are a very conservative audience, and it's biting us in the ass for everyone that's trying to make progress.
I feel ya, breh. I definitely agree when it comes to the movies blacks go to see. It's pretty fukking frustrating.

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
I feel ya, breh. I definitely agree when it comes to the movies blacks go to see. It's pretty fukking frustrating.

I chopped it up with Vincent Brantley ( wrote Cool It Now) he let me watch a screener for a movie he had did... It had a predominantly black cast ( like actors you've seen in "black" movies).. but never once did it venture into the realm of a black movie.

It was him and Russ Regan ( guy who put out the Banging on Wax albums) talking about who to go to so he could get it put out, even if it was a Straight To DVD release... and he was saying that there are like 300 black movies that are just sitting on ice, cause the production companies aren't trying to put out something that audiences havent really put forth an effort to see.

I got all types of friends who :rudy: at any movie if it doesn't have black people in it,if it's not "black enough" for them or doesnt have that headlining black star in it.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I really dont fukk with black movies anymore because its all the same damn genre......black love/relationship comedy. Im not shelling out 20 bucks a pop to see the same move re-skinned over and over again. But at the same time i see why they make those because for the most part thats all the majority of black people will go see in droves.

Pretty much every movie i will pay for is at least trying to tell a new story.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps

:what:

First of all, we WANT to see black themed stuff b/c we don't have squat right now. You gotta start somewhere. In the 70's the blaxploitation era was all 100% stereotype stuff....from there we branched out into more stuff and all kinds of roles. Now we dont have anything....

Stop being stupid. There's no excuse for there to not be a new Denzel or a new Eddie Murphy, or Will Smith on the horizon. There's tons of young black ppl with talent and dreams of being an actor.

And STOP saying ppl run out to see Madea. I dislike 99% of everythign Tyler Perry comes out with. He has his niche audience that he gets on black morning radio shows and panders to and tells them to go see his movies so he can make more movies....and they do. But that's mainly black church women.....which by no means makes up the majority of the black population. Where is everyone else?

At this point, we've raised an entire group of young blacks who don't know anything about the great films/TV shows we had in the 80's-90's and they dont see the importance of the art anymore.

And, Tyler Perry SHOULD take on the responsibility of furthering thigns along. When ppl like Eddie got on, he brought back and paid tribute to the old black comedic greats...Martin did the same thing to a degree. And both of them at least gave young, new talent some shine. Now TP has all the power and is just rehashing the same ol movies, same old talent, same old plots to make safe money. He could easily hire some new diverse black writers/actors/actresses to push the genre beyond Madea/good-evil/black chick flick films.

That's why I wanted everyone to support "Think Like a Man" At least give money to something black, that's not Tyler Perry. Hollywood just throws him whatever scraps they have for whatever "black" project they wanna do.