Y'all who watched DBZ, isn't the whole vibe of the show fukking confusing?

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
You haven't been insulting so I mean this with all due respect.
The reason you can't see it is because you're a stan. I'm assuming you love anime, and maybe even Japanese culture so this may be blinding you to the reality of things.

I'm not the first person to think this, even Japanese themselves think this. I hope this changes your mind a little bit.
a93a8b934d2c6acb87d29ee830c565281328561575_full.jpg

main-qimg-9626f4dc4f473337136e5d6ed879ce99

images

Its very sad

What makes them worse is how the cool character is always portrayed with white features and the lame, perverted character almost always looks asian

I've seen it in so many different manga :hhh:

Daps
We dropped 2 atom bombs on them. They don't want them problems anymore so they self-criticize/humble themselves culturally so they aren't perceived as a threat.

Goku is actually based on the Monkey King character from Japanese folklore.

:snooze:

Monkey King (Sun Wo Kong / Sun Goku) is actually based on the Chinese story "Journey to the West", which is considered a classic Chinese literature piece that is prevalent through Chinese folklore.

But c/s the rest of the post. I believe a lot of it is internalized inferiority complex post WW2.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
  • First episode spent doing regular shyt while bad guy is wreaking havoc somewhere.
  • Second episode some character is complaining about how powerful said character is.
  • Third episode bad guy makes his appearance.
  • Fourth episode goku and bad guy stare at each other and charge up.
  • Fifth episode Goku gets his ass kicked.
  • Sixth episode Goku finds a way to get madder and whoop the bad guys ass.
Rinse and repeat for 15 seasons.
Best anime of all-time.

:blessed:

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
I did not, someone pointed out how YuYu looked the most Asian and I agreed simply because of the clothes and hair.
If YuYu looks Asian then Dragonball and Dragon Ball Z looks Asian. They both draw inspiration from the same mythology regarding the Afterlife. Lastly people in here have explained to you why the super saiyans look like they do. I'm not here to change your perspective I was just pointing out that the saiyans don't look white

Balla

Superstar
Daps
If YuYu looks Asian then Dragonball and Dragon Ball Z looks Asian. They both draw inspiration from the same mythology regarding the Afterlife. Lastly people in here have explained to you why the super saiyans look like they do. I'm not here to change your perspective I was just pointing out that the saiyans don't look white
Why they look like they do?

I mean as you can see the gold looks best on them compared to the red, blue, pink, and grey hair they have in super.

Daps
I personally never necessarily thought the features of Saiyans (regular form) were "white" because I have been conditioned to accept that anime exaggerated features and such.

But yes, them turning blonde with blue eyes when they power up has always been suspect to me lol.

Still a fan of the show tho, DBZ still set the blueprint for many animes after

But DBZ fans in this thread also gotta understand how the optics look to many people once they put their fandom aside :manny:

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps

Yusuke looks more plausible as a teenage Japanese person.

Super Saiyan form Goku and Vegeta though? :mjlol:

If Toriyama wasn't c00ning then SSJ1 would be SSJ4, it actually would've been the perfect form since they transform into Apes anyway.

GodsPerspective

Superstar
Daps
I personally never necessarily thought the features of Saiyans (regular form) were "white" because I have been conditioned to accept that anime exaggerated features and such.

But yes, them turning blonde with blue eyes when they power up has always been suspect to me lol.

Still a fan of the show tho, DBZ still set the blueprint for many animes after

But DBZ fans in this thread also gotta understand how the optics look to many people once they put their fandom aside :manny:
Great rational post. Some of my op was a stretch but you get the message

Daps
Great rational post. Some of my op was a stretch but you get the message

I actually never considered that Freiza was depicted to be more asian looking, so I thought that was an interesting observation. Coupled with what someone else said about anime usually depicting overt asian features to represent Chinese folk, as well as the Japan/China history ... its not too much of a stretch imo.

But I think a lot of this is internalized and manifest in media, as opposed to it being a calculated premeditated thing.

DragonBall introducing all these new power up features with different colored hair/eyes is a modern way of kind of resetting the narrative imo, so they (Saiyans) won't only look blonde when they become "more powerful" :pachaha:

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Why they look like they do?

I mean as you can see the gold looks best on them compared to the red, blue, pink, and grey hair they have in super.
It was a budgeting thing. Instead keeping a yellow energy Aura around goku like when he does the Kaioken attack, they just made his hair yellow.

GodsPerspective

Superstar
Daps
I actually never considered that Freiza was depicted to be more asian looking, so I thought that was an interesting observation. Coupled with what someone else said about anime usually depicting overt asian features to represent Chinese folk, as well as the Japan/China history ... its not too much of a stretch imo.

But I think a lot of this is internalized and manifest in media, as opposed to it being a calculated premeditated thing.

DragonBall introducing all these new power up features with different colored hair/eyes is a modern way of kind of resetting the narrative imo, so they (Saiyans) won't only look blonde when they become "more powerful" :pachaha:

That’s why these discussions are important. I actually learned a lot from this regarding details I’ve I missed on the show. Also I learned that Stans will be Stans :lolbron:

You're right on the newer shyt though, they realized how bad they fukked up. That should tell you about the true racist origins.

There are posters that say blonde hair was made to match the ki, so I asked what about their green eyes? This dumb mfer said because yellow looked stupid :mjlol:... Wanted to slap the shyt out that mfer

Why didnt he draw the eyes in as black then? Why Green? :francis:

People are so blinded by their stannery that logic and common sense fails them completely.

If Goku looks white than Yusuke looks like Danny Zuko from Grease. Both look Asian

Okay so what race does this guy look like
maxresdefault.jpg