Y'all who watched DBZ, isn't the whole vibe of the show fukking confusing?

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
Only thecoli can flip a character with "asian" features having a dark origin story into the author c00ning :russ:

There's no clear evidence because we don't know what he was thinking :yeshrug:

Lots of different manga artists do this type of shut though, be named Naruto Uzimaki with blonde hair and blue eyes, brehs

Light Yagami looks very European too :mjlol:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
This just isn't a DBZ thing, it's an anime thing. Anime characters often don't have strong Asian features, if they have any at all. You can tell which characters are meant to be black or white (sometimes to a stereotypical degree :beli:) but the "Asian" characters usually have a hodgepodge of features.

I don't know why black anime fans are so bothered when people rightly point this out. It's the truth. You take away the blonde hair and they still resemble a hodgepodge of Asian and white. You can see it across multiple anime. There are anime where the Japanese characters resemble actual Japanese citizens and the difference is notable.

For those who get upset about the racial aspect of this discussion, imagine if Africa had a booming animation industry and they were exporting for mass consumption stylized versions of African characters with a number of white or Asian features. Would it be given a pass?

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
you make some solid observations here worth exploring about DBZ. could make for a interesting research paper. but I think it would be more constructive to focus on the anime that blatantly exhibit racial prejudice and stereotyping as opposed to one where you need to assume truths that you have no way of knowing without reading the mind of the creator.

slam dunk's treatment of akagi, tenjo tenge of bob, full metal panic fumoffu of the dark skinned delinquents, the ants in terraformers would be better examples of this topic than DBZ. i assume the reason you use dbz and naruto as examples is because of their popularity, rather than how flagrant they are relative to other anime.

GodsPerspective

Superstar
Daps
you make some solid observations here worth exploring about DBZ. could make for a interesting research paper. but I think it would be more constructive to focus on the anime that blatantly exhibit racial prejudice and stereotyping as opposed to one where you need to assume truths that you have no way of knowing without reading the mind of the creator.

slam dunk's treatment of akagi, tenjo tenge of bob, full metal panic fumoffu of the dark skinned delinquents, the ants in terraformers would be better examples of this topic than DBZ. i assume the reason you use dbz and naruto as examples is because of their popularity, rather than how flagrant they are relative to other anime.
You got it, it's sad that I feel blessed that a few people understand what I was getting at, so thanks for understanding

Last edited:

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
They don’t look white they look asian, just cuz their skin is light doesn’t mean they resemble Caucasians

There’s mad asians who are light, they look no different than DBZ characters