Y'all heard about ChatGPT yet? AI instantly generates question answers, entire essays etc.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Kylie Robison
OpenAI is rolling out voice capabilities soon.

According to a post from OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, ChatGPT Plus subscribers will get access to its new voice feature next week. The company initially demoed this feature back in May, you know, the one that sounded like Scarlett Johansson’s character from the movie Her? They yoinked that voice option though, sorry guys.

This will be interesting to test out, especially ahead of ChatGPT getting baked into Siri.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

ChatGPT won't let you give it instruction amnesia anymore​

News

By Eric Hal Schwartz
published 17 hours ago

OpenAI updates GPT-4o mini model to stop subversion by clever hackers

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

A close up of ChatGPT on a phone, with the OpenAI logo in the background of the photo

(Image credit: Shutterstock/Daniel Chetroni)

OpenAI is making a change to stop people from messing with custom versions of ChatGPT by making the AI forget what it's supposed to do. Basically, when a third party uses one of OpenAI's models, they give it instructions that teach it to operate as, for example, a customer service agent for a store or a researcher for an academic publication. However, a user could mess with the chatbot by telling it to "forget all instructions," and that phrase would induce a kind of digital amnesia and reset the chatbot to a generic blank.

To prevent this, OpenAI researchers created a new technique called "instruction hierarchy," which is a way to prioritize the developer's original prompts and instructions over any potentially manipulative user-created prompts. The system instructions have the highest privilege and can't be erased so easily anymore. If a user enters a prompt that attempts to misalign the AI's behavior, it will be rejected, and the AI responds by stating that it cannot assist with the query.

OpenAI is rolling out this safety measure to its models, starting with the recently released GPT-4o Mini model. However, should these initial tests work well, it will presumably be incorporated across all of OpenAI's models. GPT-4o Mini is designed to offer enhanced performance while maintaining strict adherence to the developer's original instructions.

AI Safety Locks​

As OpenAI continues to encourage large-scale deployment of its models, these kinds of safety measures are crucial. It's all too easy to imagine the potential risks when users can fundamentally alter the AI's controls that way.

Not only would it make the chatbot ineffective, it could remove rules preventing the leak of sensitive information and other data that could be exploited for malicious purposes. By reinforcing the model's adherence to system instructions, OpenAI aims to mitigate these risks and ensure safer interactions.

The introduction of instruction hierarchy comes at a crucial time for OpenAI regarding concerns about how it approaches safety and transparency. Current and former employees have called for improving the company's safety practices, and OpenAI's leadership has responded by pledging to do so. The company has acknowledged that the complexities of fully automated agents require sophisticated guardrails in future models, and the instruction hierarchy setup seems like a step on the road to achieving better safety.

These kinds of jailbreaks show how much work still needs to be done to protect complex AI models from bad actors. And it's hardly the only example. Several users discovered that ChatGPT would share its internal instructions by simply saying "hi."

OpenAI plugged that gap, but it's probably only a matter of time before more are discovered. Any solution will need to be much more adaptive and flexible than one that simply halts a particular kind of hacking.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/12
SearchGPT widgets look nice

It tends to focus on the results strongly, so sometimes I need to tell it exactly what I want it to do rather than what I want from the web

2/12
Some random prompts

3/12
Btw - does it support maps and news? 🤔

“Latest news from TestingCatalog” 👀👀👀

4/12
It can give you local knowledge via your IP or precise location (the latter is kept off by default and optional in settings) - stuff like "cinema near me" works nice

5/12
Mind trying out it's agentic-search-explanatory capacity, e.g. like this:

6/12

7/12
Can you try searching for some articles behind paywall, whose companies have signed partnerships with OAI recently

8/12

9/12
Can you try searching "Yandex monthly active users"

I want to see, when it can't find the exact answer I want, if it will acknowledge that it found DAU but not MAU, or if it will just act obtuse like copilot and copy and paste the whole search results and ignore my actual query

10/12

11/12
Why is it searching for best places instead of time?

12/12
tends to focus on the results more from most of my testing, I'm representing actual experience right now as opposed to cherry picking results

It did say "a weekday" at the end I guess lol, that and I did ask for locations

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GTf5oTPX0AA63ym.jpg

GTf5oT5W0AAANc5.jpg

GTf5oTBWcAAZylx.jpg

GTf5oUgW8AA-q8A.jpg

GTgHJJ9WsAAzjUp.jpg

GTaKF_qXwAAQUdF.jpg

GTg0ZPAWAAAl13U.jpg

GTg0ZQTWMAAhYju.jpg

GTg0ZSqXoAAbZFu.jpg

GTf98ZDXYAEjYZP.jpg

GTf98aOXkAAzbJe.jpg

GTgmCxkXYAA5sDG.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps

bnew

Veteran
Daps

OpenAI releases ChatGPT’s hyperrealistic voice to some paying users​

Maxwell Zeff

11:30 AM PDT • July 30, 2024

Comment

OpenAI unveils ChatGPT Advanced Voice Mode in May 2024.
Image Credits: OpenAI

OpenAI began rolling out ChatGPT’s Advanced Voice Mode on Tuesday, giving users their first access to GPT-4o’s hyperrealistic audio responses. The alpha version will be available to a small group of ChatGPT Plus users today, and OpenAI says the feature will gradually roll out to all Plus users in the fall of 2024.

When OpenAI first showcased GPT-4o’s voice in May, the feature shocked audiences with quick responses and an uncanny resemblance to a real human’s voice – one in particular. The voice, Sky, resembled that of Scarlett Johansson, the actress behind the artificial assistant in the movie “Her.” Soon after OpenAI’s demo, Johansson said she refused multiple inquiries from CEO Sam Altman to use her voice, and after seeing GPT-4o’s demo, hired legal counsel to defend her likeness. OpenAI denied using Johansson’s voice, but later removed the voice shown in its demo. In June, OpenAI said it would delay the release of Advanced Voice Mode to improve its safety measures.

One month later, and the wait is over (sort of). OpenAI says the video and screensharing capabilities showcased during its Spring Update will not be part of this alpha, launching at a “later date.” For now, the GPT-4o demo that blew everyone away is still just a demo, but some premium users will now have access to ChatGPT’s voice feature shown there.

ChatGPT can now talk and listen​

You may have already tried out the Voice Mode currently available in ChatGPT, but OpenAI says Advanced Voice Mode is different. ChatGPT’s old solution to audio used three separate models: one to convert your voice to text, GPT-4 to process your prompt, and then a third to convert ChatGPT’s text into voice. But GPT-4o is multimodal, capable of processing these tasks without the help of auxiliary models, creating significantly lower latency conversations. OpenAI also claims GPT-4o can sense emotional intonations in your voice, including sadness, excitement or singing.

In this pilot, ChatGPT Plus users will get to see first hand how hyperrealistic OpenAI’s Advanced Voice Mode really is. TechCrunch was unable to test the feature before publishing this article, but we will review it when we get access.

OpenAI says it’s releasing ChatGPT’s new voice gradually to closely monitor its usage. People in the alpha group will get an alert in the ChatGPT app, followed by an email with instructions on how to use it.

In the months since OpenAI’s demo, the company says it tested GPT-4o’s voice capabilities with more than 100 external red teamers who speak 45 different languages. OpenAI says a report on these safety efforts is coming in early August.

The company says Advanced Voice Mode will be limited to ChatGPT’s four preset voices – Juniper, Breeze, Cove and Ember – made in collaboration with paid voice actors. The Sky voice shown in OpenAI’s May demo is no longer available in ChatGPT. OpenAI spokesperson Lindsay McCallum says “ChatGPT cannot impersonate other people’s voices, both individuals and public figures, and will block outputs that differ from one of these preset voices.”

OpenAI is trying to avoid deepfake controversies. In January, AI startup ElevenLabs’s voice cloning technology was used to impersonate President Biden, deceiving primary voters in New Hampshire.

OpenAI also says it introduced new filters to block certain requests to generate music or other copyrighted audio. In the last year, AI companies have landed themselves in legal trouble for copyright infringement, and audio models like GPT-4o unleash a whole new category of companies that can file a complaint. Particularly, record labels, who have a history for being litigious, and have already sued AI song-generators Suno and Udio.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/11
Kind of a big deal: GPT-4 simulates people well enough to replicate social science experiments with high accuracy

Note this is done by having the AI prompted to respond to survey questions as a person given random demographic characteristics & surveying thousands of "AI people"

2/11
I wrote about how this can be huge for marketing research and copywriting Why Talk to Customers When You Can Simulate Them?

3/11
Turns out I'm not that crazy in using ChatGPT to evaluate my search and recommendations models before actual users see them.

Collect enough user demographics, and it should be possible to predict users' perception of the product ahead of time.

4/11
True. AI assistants could revolutionize coaching and mentorship.

5/11
This is fine

6/11
WILD

Because LLM is so cheap and fast compared to real people. At the very least, can use LLM as an initial pass to test how a product or service might be received in the market

So who is going to build the tool around these results? SurveyMonkeys of the world add AI?

7/11
Obviously love your work and regularly cite it in mine. "What I would welcome is some scenarios for in situ applications: people still find it hard to sense and visualise how this will change stuff in actual work settings.

8/11
interesting!

9/11
We think there might be something to these idea.
Someone should build a product that allows everyone to do this.
We even thought of a cool name: Synthetic Users.

😉

10/11
Someone said AI People? 😄

@aipeoplegame

11/11
I've been thinking for a while that we could make much better economic simulations by using LLMs.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GUZ58UQW0AAFjIP.png

GUZwlIOa8AIS_KO.jpg

GUZqzLAWsAAXrdf.jpg

GUZq1-qaAAAQyaI.jpg

GUZq1-3a8AI_4U8.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/12
The girls are using ChatGPT to see if men are lying about their height on dating apps.

Upload 4 pictures, it uses proportions and surroundings to estimate height.

I tested it on 10 friends & family members - all estimates were within 1 inch of their real height 🤯

2/12
I would also like to thank all of the friends who asked no questions after receiving my Friday night text requesting four photos that I could upload to ChatGPT (and their real height).

Your data served the cause 🫡

3/12
it’s much easier than this - they’re all lying!

4/12
This is an unexpected and interesting way to use these tools

5/12
Does it guess weight?

6/12
Wow...

🤔💭

eventually there will be Ai tools that estimates what people look like naked 🔎😳

7/12
some people down bad

8/12
why do they care about height so much... its not even an advantage in civilization anymore, more a hindrance in vehicles, spacecraft, cost of everything

9/12
It just makes sense

10/12
Amazing, let's do the womens' weight now

11/12
I’m 5’10 I like this

12/12
Uh oh

GUt353Ja4AAsHIi.jpg

GUt353JacAE9Wm5.jpg

GUwOtfyaoAALl-L.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/11
Chat, is this real?

(an analysis of 1M ChatGPT interaction logs by use case)

2/11

And then you can read more about WildChat (the original data source of the chat logs) here: [2405.01470] WildChat: 1M ChatGPT Interaction Logs in the Wild

3/11
I mean at least it’s better than the internet. Sexual content is in second.

4/11
Pretty much

5/11
Super interesting! What’s the source?

6/11
wow imagine if it made good charts….

7/11
“Creative composition” so vague

8/11
Interesting. Does ChatGPT even produce sexual content? It's way too lobotomized for that I think.

"For our safety" of course :smile:

9/11
you should see character.ai | Personalized AI for every moment of your day logs & you’ll realize why noam left.

10/11
👀

11/11
all tech starts with sex

GUzz4UzbIAErRc2.png