Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

It's on sale

Wouldn't mind saving a few bucks but Amazon been wilding with deliveries lately. Not trying to get this shyt late. Might just bite the bullet and cop the digital version from the Nintendo shop later today so I know I'll have it day 1. :jbhmm:

Fred.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Hearing not so great things about resolution but this is one of my favorite games ever so I cant NOT buy it :dead:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Hearing not so great things about resolution but this is one of my favorite games ever so I cant NOT buy it :dead:

It has the same issues that Xenoblade 2 had. It is just annoying that in handheld mode it will look so abysmal. I was honestly hoping the performance would be on par with Dragon Quest 11s, but at the end of the day as long as the game holds up I think everyone will still enjoy it. This is just one of the issues Nintendo will continuingly run into. Hopefully next year we can get some kind of switch pro.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Never played any of the Xenoblade games but this has me interested:jbhmm:. Probably won’t cop anytime soon, but it’s on my radar the next time I want a new Switch game.

If I were to get into the series, should I start with this one or XBC2? If there’s notable gameplay improvements, I’d probably start with the sequel then go back to the first if I got into the series

Also, What’s the combat like? I watched a couple gameplay videos and it kinda looks similar to that Dragon Age/KoTOR style of gameplay

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Never played any of the Xenoblade games but this has me interested:jbhmm:. Probably won’t cop anytime soon, but it’s on my radar the next time I want a new Switch game.

If I were to get into the series, should I start with this one or XBC2? If there’s notable gameplay improvements, I’d probably start with the sequel then go back to the first if I got into the series

Also, What’s the combat like? I watched a couple gameplay videos and it kinda looks similar to that Dragon Age/KoTOR style of gameplay

Don't really matter which you start with. 2 has references to this game but you won't miss much if you play 2 first.

Combat isn't really like anything else. I'll explain "Xenoblade Chronicles 2".

When you engage an enemy, you auto-attack. Damage and speed is based on your weapon (Blade in "XBC2", which we won't get into right now).

You have what's called Driver Arts, which is basically special abilities. Some cause status effects (Break, Topple, Launch, Smash), some heal your party, etc. Also some do more damage or do something special depending on where you are (front, side, back, etc.) so you gotta move around.

As you use Driver Arts, a gauge fills up. When it's full you can do a Special Attack, which is a QTE. Hit the buttons correctly and it does more damage.

Each Special has an element type (Wind, Ice, Dark, Earth, etc.) and doing the Specials in order has different effects. For example Fire + Fire + Air = a Steam Explosion. These do more/less damage depending on the enemies element type, etc.

Also, each elemental Special you do puts an "orb" on the enemy. It's literally a little ball that floats around it. You can stack every element type in the game on an enemy, then break them all with a Chain Attack, which lets your whole party attack at once. Doing Chain Attacks does insane amounts of damage.

Anyway, hopefully this wasn't too confusing. The combat system is one of the best in any RPG I've ever played.

Fred.

Ricky43

Whats up
Daps
Reppin
Gentrification City
I played Xenogears on the first Playstation and Torna as of late..taking a break from ff7 remake and dragon quest 11 to play this for a while.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps

yea I had a feeling it was gonna run just like Xenoblade C2. I think they were working on both the expansion for XC2 and XBDE at the same time.

:mjlol: apparently some people are already trying to improve the resolution before the game even drops.

Pretty sure monolith is still split up all over the place helping Nintendo with other games too especially BOTW2.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Apparently I'm in the minority but I thought "XC2" looked/played fine on the Switch. I've heard horror stories about it in undocked mode, I guess I played it after it was patched because it ran ok.

I dunno, it's a Nintendo console. I don't have lofty expectations for these sorts of things. :yeshrug:

Fred.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Apparently I'm in the minority but I thought "XC2" looked/played fine on the Switch. I've heard horror stories about it in undocked mode, I guess I played it after it was patched because it ran ok.

I dunno, it's a Nintendo console. I don't have lofty expectations for these sorts of things. :yeshrug:

Fred.
Yeah its inconsequential to me.

Arguing about 576P in 2020 :mjlol: If people cared about graphics in their games, they wouldn't own a Switch.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps

Fred.

I think certain areas in the game in handheld mode stayed very steady in the resolution. But I noticed it. The only thing that bugs me the most is when you fast travel to a new area and the base texture of the world is forming in front of your eyes LMAO.