Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Yea i'm trying to pick up on how to play but so much infos being thrown out all at once lol.
it is a lot

and im not one of those who props up this game's battle system as some great piece of work either tbh. its not bad but its clunky to the point where it feels like it shouldn't have shipped as is

Daps
Reppin
809 & 347
it is a lot

and im not one of those who props up this game's battle system as some great piece of work either tbh. its not bad but its clunky to the point where it feels like it shouldn't have shipped as is

It's clunky af. Especially when selecting the arts you want to use, gotta use the "d pad" to select. Woulda been better if i can use the r and l shoulder buttons to shift thru the arts

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
It's clunky af. Especially when selecting the arts you want to use, gotta use the "d pad" to select. Woulda been better if i can use the r and l shoulder buttons to shift thru the arts
could've even had a "clock" setup on the stick so you can just hold a shoulder button and select whatever you need to do

trying to position and cycle through commands at the same time is just ridiculous..... you get used to it, but it never really feels natural

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
It's very limited in combat mode. After i use up all the arts all i can do is run around the enemies and slash until it cools down. I don't like the auto attack mode.

Tbh the series might not be for you. Granted as you get further in the game it does get better, but there is no point in playing a game that you don't enjoy. Honestly, 2's combat is more refined but is less approachable for a beginner.

Daps
Reppin
809 & 347
could've even had a "clock" setup on the stick so you can just hold a shoulder button and select whatever you need to do

trying to position and cycle through commands at the same time is just ridiculous..... you get used to it, but it never really feels natural

That would've also work out too. I only put 2 hours down so far, i will end picking it up the eventually.

Daps
Reppin
809 & 347
Tbh the series might not be for you. Granted as you get further in the game it does get better, but there is no point in playing a game that you don't enjoy. Honestly, 2's combat is more refined but is less approachable for a beginner.

Yeah this is my first time playing a xenoblade game. I picked it up cos shulk was featured in smash bros and i was playing as him lately. Got curious and decided to pick up the game and see what was he all about.

Daps
Reppin
809 & 347
Just learned the monado, get to swing the blade for a bit and learned how the chain attack work.:wow:

Shulk is a cold lil heartless mother fukker tho.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Just did a quick replay on NG+ for the base game and future connected. Most of my thoughts are the same when I played it 2 years ago. Story is good, but gameplay options feel underwhelming if you play 2 already.

One issue is that for a good majority of the game you kinda have to keep Shulk in the party. But Shulk's AI is ass. Legit you feel forced to use him, which bothers me. It doesn't help he is boring to use. Melia on the other hand in combat is much more dynamic. Having a guaranteed topple, also maximizing her damage over time is super fun to use. And honestly, she is as a good of a characters as Shulk. I do think Shulk gets more credit then he should. He is great just a lil overrated imo.

I know people shyt on Future Connected. But I like what they added for Melia in particular. Plus the issue with shulk from above isn't present here. The funny thing is the two Nopon who have the playstyles of Reyn and Sharla are actually better characters than them.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Okay. Time to beat this to prepare for 3.

Should I just run through the main story?

I don’t have the patience for fetch side quests and shyt.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
See question above

@42 Monks
@
There is no quick way to beat XC1 blind imo. The shyt is long as fukk and you'll have to do a lot of dry nonsense between plot points simply because of how the game is. Looking back, the only reason I even finished this game was because of loyalty to the franchise and the S tier OST.

Daps
Currently playing this game off the strength of the 2nd one. I want to play 3 next.

Man, I'm sure this is already well documented but who's idea was it to have SO MANY missable timed side quest or so many side quest in general. After every new area or several chapters have passed I go back to all the towns and play around with the clock and look for anymore side quest on the map. The combat is (of course) not as good as the sequel (duh) but man is it 2-3 steps back. Chain Attacks are basically pointless. It's all about Break, Topple and whatever. When that's not going on I find it best to has Dunban on the squad with HIGH Agility and Aggro, while I have Low Aggro and attack from other angles with my arts. So that much is cool. The story has it moments but overall it's not much going on. I'm at chapter 12 or 13 I think. Trying to get the band back together.

Overall though I think the game is a legit 8, I wish I played it a decade ago. I actually had it but never played it :russ: so I'm not getting the nostalgia a lot of folks have with this game since it's my first run and so many better JRPGs have come and gone.